Recommendations for Smaller Deep Fringe Antennas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
I'm trying to help my mom out with getting OTA. She just moved into a senior living apartment and couldn't set up her dish, so I am trying to see if it is possible to get her more than just the local PBS station. Her apartment is 30ft up. Here is the RabbitEars report.

Know of any antenna designs that might pull in a signal? I was thinking of trying a Hoverman build. Is this a lost cause? Her apartment is near the bottom of a 120ft hill between her and the network stations.

There is a chance to pull in some stations, but only with a substantial antenna setup outdoors, 30 feet or higher with large antennas. 2 of the first 4 are on VHF high, a Hoverman is not the antenna for this project, poor VHF reception and a wider beam this calls for Yagis which have a more focused narrower beamwidth. You did not say if outdoor antennas are an option. Signals would be weaker than the prediction if you are not 30 feet up.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
There is a chance to pull in some stations, but only with a substantial antenna setup outdoors, 30 feet or higher with large antennas. 2 of the first 4 are on VHF high, a Hoverman is not the antenna for this project, poor VHF reception and a wider beam this calls for Yagis which have a more focused narrower beamwidth. You did not say if outdoor antennas are an option. Signals would be weaker than the prediction if you are not 30 feet up.
Her apartment is on the 3rd floor, so I can only really put one in the SE window by the TV. I can't put anything outdoors. The KEMV signal comes in stable with just a passive rabbit ear and UHF loop combo in the window. But I really wanted to find a network signal for her to get TV storm coverage. She doesn't have internet or a smartphone. At least the local radio station is good about announcing storm warnings.

I recently tried to satisfy my curiosity by buying a Channel Master Smartenna+ model CM3001HD. It is a square flat amplified antenna for indoor use. I tried it in an indoor window about 60 miles from the broadcast towers. I won't tell you it was perfect reception but it was surprising. The only thing is you can try it and see what it will do in your limited situation.

Ouch, that's about the WORST rabbitears report I've seen. Regardless, the ONLY way to really tell at any particular site, is to install an antenna and see what happens.

IF there's anyway to get on outside, I'd highly recommend that. It also needs to be capable of BOTH UHF and high-VHF reception, and will probably will need a preamp. Mud flap antennas will NOT likely work for anything beyond that single PBS station.

I recently bought one of these for my dad, that's in a senior apt, and hung it upside down off his ceiling, and aimed it out a window. It's fairly small, but powerful. Works well, and he's on the ground floor of a steel framed building.

If you can't see this link, disable your ad blocker and hit refresh: https://www.menards.com/main/storei...8EDThXTx_4sLTVmU-DtCZHKtWvsQm1TNFRm9d3rAoW1Cw

Ouch, that's about the WORST rabbitears report I've seen. Regardless, the ONLY way to really tell at any particular site, is to install an antenna and see what happens.

IF there's anyway to get on outside, I'd highly recommend that. It also needs to be capable of BOTH UHF and high-VHF reception, and will probably will need a preamp. Mud flap antennas will NOT likely work for anything beyond that single PBS station.

I recently bought one of these for my dad, that's in a senior apt, and hung it upside down off his ceiling, and aimed it out a window. It's fairly small, but powerful. Works well, and he's on the ground floor of a steel framed building.

If you can't see this link, disable your ad blocker and hit refresh: https://www.menards.com/main/storei...8EDThXTx_4sLTVmU-DtCZHKtWvsQm1TNFRm9d3rAoW1Cw
Those RCA compact yagis work wonders. I wish the place would allow an outdoor antenna. It's either one PBS station or pay $127/mo for basic cable! She had the cheapest Dish package for only $35 before moving.

All these stations are two edge reception, so there is very little you can do. Either pay the $127 or move.

Those RCA compact yagis work wonders. I wish the place would allow an outdoor antenna. It's either one PBS station or pay $127/mo for basic cable! She had the cheapest Dish package for only $35 before moving.

Are you sure the cable company doesn't offer a limited service with just locals?

Reactions: FTA4PA
The best indoor antenna I have found is an Antop 800SBS and I have tried alot. They are a bit large for indoors and pricy but I find it rivals my outdoor roof mounted antenna. I have one on the walk out wall of my basement sitting on top of 2 stacked tv trays, and pick up all the major Kansas City Channels. Granted I am a little closer and I don't have a mountain to contend with, but at least right now it works really well. Like others have said the only way to really know is to try them out.

The best indoor antenna I have found is an Antop 800SBS and I have tried alot. They are a bit large for indoors and pricy but I find it rivals my outdoor roof mounted antenna. I have one on the walk out wall of my basement sitting on top of 2 stacked tv trays, and pick up all the major Kansas City Channels. Granted I am a little closer and I don't have a mountain to contend with, but at least right now it works really well. Like others have said the only way to really know is to try them out.

Wow, that's a REALLY pricey antenna! You can buy old-school outdoor antennas, including a preamp, mast pipe & coax, and get it installed for around the same. I guess IF you have absolutely no other choice besides an indoor antenna, it might be ok. Otherwise IMO, it's priced about $100 too high.

I do appreciate 'in the field' user reports though, thanks!

Reactions: 907TECH
I got it at a local store called Cargo Largo... it was about $50.00 bucks. I hear you Primestar... I am a cord cutter from way back. Trust me I had to be honest about the "going price" . Cargo Largo is a overstock and reclaimed merchandise place in Kansas City. So if you catch them on the right day you can make some great finds.

You really got a good buy on that antop antenns. The lowest price I could find was on the home shopping channel and Qvc. I know 3 friends that have them and the work excellent from my location. If I remember correctly the price was about $127.00

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts