red ring/warranty question

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
Title says it all. :(

I bought my 360 13 months ago (November, '06). In the middle of playing a game today, I got the oh-so dreaded red ring. Still trying to scramble around the house to find a receipt.

Anyhoo...I did purchase it from Best Buy and they said that they should have no problem pulling up and recreating a receipt if I bring in the correct credit card I used to purchase it. My question is...

How long is the warranty for? My understanding is that it's now 3 years, versus 1 year. Just to try to verify things, I asked one of the "Geek Squad" members who said that the 3 year warranty ONLY covers the Elite, not the Platinum I own. Is she correct?

Call MS and report your problem. No receipt needed. The extended warranty is for all 360s.

Thank you! :hatsoff:

I did *exactly* that. Some time next week (3 - 5 biz days from today) I'll get a box with shipping labels and I'll send the defective unit (sans hard drive, cables, etc) back. And THEN...3 or 4 weeks later I'll supposedly get a refurbed unit.

Ack...feels like being a E* customer, huh. :rolleyes:

hi, i,m new here,just join today. for the xbox 360 problem,if you really need your system, try throwing a towel over it for about 20 minutes.just make sure you,ve unplug everything except the power cord when you do the towel trick.please stay with the xbox for the 20 minutes.you never know it might catch on fire. then after the 20 to 30 minutes power it off and pull the towels off and let cool for about 15 to min.plug it all back in to your tv and presto xbox 360 back from the dead. this does work and i've done it to a few xbox 360. only temp fix. its because of the soldering joints not have and lead any more, bad contact points.this method of heating it up tends to resolder the joint for awhile.
:D:D:D:eureka:eureka:eureka