Regional Sports issue where Directv is much better

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DTV has always done a better job than Dish with RSN's, IMO.
The one thing I don't like about the way Directv does it is that they include all of the RSNs in the Channels I Receive (or whatever it is called) list in the guide, whether you subscribe to them or not. At least Dish automatically hides the RSNs if you don't subscribe to them.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Haha, yes, 2am central time!

At least DISH should cut off the time by time zone. NESN (EDT) ends HD at 3AM, when there is never anything but infomercials on. Seems like it should be 3AM central time too. I wonder what time it happens Pacific time....
I don't know what DISH gains by only having SD RSN's during the hours they do, there is virtually nothing eating up bandwidth. But it can't really matter much to anyone so who cares. From what I see on the RSN's almost never is there even a replay of games during the SD hours, with a few exceptions from time to time.

Reactions: zippyfrog
At least DISH should cut off the time by time zone. NESN (EDT) ends HD at 3AM, when there is never anything but infomercials on. Seems like it should be 3AM central time too. I wonder what time it happens Pacific time....
I don't know what DISH gains by only having SD RSN's during the hours they do, there is virtually nothing eating up bandwidth. But it can't really matter much to anyone so who cares. From what I see on the RSN's almost never is there even a replay of games during the SD hours, with a few exceptions from time to time.

I agree 100% with this. On CSN Chicago, since the Bulls, Cubs, Sox, and Hawks are all on the channel, there is almost always a game replay at night. Starts at 12:30am central time. The NBA and NHL games go 2 1/2 hours until 3am, the MLB games are allocated 3 hours and go until 3:30am, then the paid programming starts. It would be great to have the game replay to play to completion then if it has to go off-air, go off-air once the paid programming begins. Not that I am up to watch the games at that time since I have an early morning job, but during vacation times, I have caught some game replays and they cut off right in the middle of the game.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
I'm going to be blasphemous by saying this, but get rid of the SD channels, permanently and open up bandwidth that way. Yes, I know that SD doesn't take up the amount of bandwidth that HD takes up. But, it is outdated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well, I guess DISH could do that. I suppose that would make you and others happy. However, they would instantly lose me as a customer as 80% of my viewing is on SD channels. I suspect there are others like myself.

There are cases where the SD channel is better, like recording my daughter's cartoons. They take up much less space on the HDD with not much difference in quality. I agree that sports channels in SD are of no real value.

Reactions: pattykay
You may be right, only he can answer what he meant. But, that's not what he wrote.
I thought that is what he meant to. If there is only an SD version of a channel they should keep it in SD. If there is an HD version, that is the version they should have, and down-convert when necessary on the STB. Hopefully that would free up bandwidth to provide for more HD versions of channels...

Here's an example of how Dish's approach is a pain. I was watching the Royals game a couple of nights ago at a sports bar with some friends, then needed to head home. The game went into extra innings. So I rush home, and then try to find the game. Since there is no Fox Sports KC channel on Dish, and it was in extra innings, none of the descriptions showed "Royals-Giants" just alt sports channels. So I had to manually check each alt channel until I finally found the one carrying the game. Ugh

How hard would it be to simply carry Fox Sports KC and label it? Since they carry all of the content of Fox Sports KC anyway, they just move it around to various random alt channels.

Here's an example of how Dish's approach is a pain. I was watching the Royals game a couple of nights ago at a sports bar with some friends, then needed to head home. The game went into extra innings. So I rush home, and then try to find the game. Since there is no Fox Sports KC channel on Dish, and it was in extra innings, none of the descriptions showed "Royals-Giants" just alt sports channels. So I had to manually check each alt channel until I finally found the one carrying the game. Ugh

How hard would it be to simply carry Fox Sports KC and label it? Since they carry all of the content of Fox Sports KC anyway, they just move it around to various random alt channels.

Did you try https://www.mydish.com/gamefinder ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts