Regretting Hopper, Maybe Going Back to 722k/211

Tampa8 said:
He's not interested, that's clear. He could have simply gone to the Dish website to see what the Hopper was all about, but is relying on his memory in a phone call instead.....

Sir, I'm a very specific person. And when I say a customer service rep. Told me not once , but several times, that the Joey did same as hopper( 4 and 2 rec.), I'm not trying to "remember" what was said...nor would I lie... That's the way it was....if you would go by what the website says, where's Facebook ,pandora apps. .bluetooth not yet either.....I told dish I wasn't worried about not having these features...also posted earlier in this forum that I wasn't worried , and that I was sure these features would be resolved later.. No big deal... Having said that, it's obvious you can't always go by what you see on websites. I've tried to be as civil as possible in this forum, but it is obvious that you are being unreasonable.

Chris.praying said:
Sir, I'm a very specific person. And when I say a customer service rep. Told me not once , but several times, that the Joey did same as hopper( 4 and 2 rec.), I'm not trying to "remember" what was said...nor would I lie... That's the way it was....if you would go by what the website says, where's Facebook ,pandora apps. .bluetooth not yet either.....I told dish I wasn't worried about not having these features...also posted earlier in this forum that I wasn't worried , and that I was sure these features would be resolved later.. No big deal... Having said that, it's obvious you can't always go by what you see on websites. I've tried to be as civil as possible in this forum, but it is obvious that you are being unreasonable.

Ps.. I did ask specifically if Joey could rec.4 and2 at same time the hopper does...I'm thankful the dish execs. Can hear that conversation, and they're the ones resolving the matter..also thankful its not you

What everyone is trying to convey, is that you always research stuff before jumping in. This can happen and DOES happen with ANY company. Even CSR's for ANY company can be misinformed.

I have learned from the 922 issues and the "TV Everywhere" deal that calling Dish is a crapshoot. Sometimes you get a knowledgeable rep sometimes you don't.
On the other hand the people who represent Dish here rarely screw up, in fact I have never had one blow it with me.

Contacting one of the Social Media folks aka DIRT ( I dislike the pseudonym) is a great way to insure you get what is available, you know what it is, you know what it cost and you can make a online friendly relationship, which will be helpful to you in the future. For me calling has become last resort, it's just too iffy.

ScooterMan said:
What everyone is trying to convey, is that you always research stuff before jumping in. This can happen and DOES happen with ANY company. Even CSR's for ANY company can be misinformed.

ScooterMan,
Just went to dish's site to see if I missed something. Maybe I still did but when they explain the hopper they say 6 hd during prime time . And when I looked at the Joey, it says the same thing. How could anybody know their talking separately, but in actuality their not specifying that it's also 6 working simultaneously. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but they explain the hopper and Joey on different pages. Saying the same about both. That's why I asked cust. Service .

Thanks, chris

"Record up to six live HD channels at once during primetime*, including your 4 local HD networks and 2 channels of your choosing, and stream four HD programs to different TVs simultaneously. That means you can watch more and miss less of your favorite programs."

http://www.dish.com/technology/hopper/

Italics and underline mine. You misunderstood record and stream, not a big deal, but I really don't think anyone mislead you.

Chris has a very valid point that a single H/J system is not as robust as a 2-722k system when it comes to recording flexibility.
OTOH, you do lose the central DVR functionality, which is the major selling point of the H/J. OTOH, a 2-Hopper system would blow away a 2-722k system in almost every aspect.

Chris has a very valid point that a single H/J system is not as robust as a 2-722k system when it comes to recording flexibility.

That is exactly why they should allow those of us who need 2H/1J to upgrade to that configuration. Three tuners isn't "whole home" in most homes I know, while 2 Hoppers would be 'da bomb. :p

"Record up to six live HD channels at once during primetime*, including your 4 local HD networks and 2 channels of your choosing, and stream four HD programs to different TVs simultaneously. That means you can watch more and miss less of your favorite programs."

Italics and underline mine.
Dish marketing for the H/J is a mess. It is filled with vague, confusing, and misleading statements. There is no need to keep defending it. Just accept it for what it is. And, try to understand why so many users that are not long time SatGuys members or exceptionally tech savvy are having a hard time with it as it relates to the reality of their new Dish Hopper systems.

Tampa8 said:

The interface is awesome compared to the 722 dvr.. I really like the recall 4 last viewed channels feature.

That is exactly why they should allow those of us who need 2H/1J to upgrade to that configuration. Three tuners isn't "whole home" in most homes I know, while 2 Hoppers would be 'da bomb. :p
No argument from me.

A 1H/1J system is perfect for my 2P household. But, I can't imagine 1H/2J or 1H/3J system being enough for a family of 3 or more. It's just nuts trying to market or defend it as such.

GaryPen said:
OTOH, you do lose the central DVR functionality, which is the major selling point of the H/J. OTOH, a 2-Hopper system would blow away a 2-722k system in almost every aspect.

Lol... I had to google otoh... Your right , I love this new system , it does blow away the central part of my old 722's.

I had ordered 1 hopper and 3 joeys at first as I misunderstood the 6 recordings at once. As soon as I researched it and figured out how the 6 recordings at once worked, I had a second hopper added right away. Kind of sucks that you had your install before you figured this out as I do not know if you will be able to still get a second hopper at a discount.

Lots of posts of people who got just that! I do see some posts of people who were denied too however.

Yes, I have been denied so far, also. They should upgrade me just for being a good ambassador for them on this site. :D

Do they say why? You seem like such a nice person you should get one.... lmao........
Seriously, this is indeed where Dish falls down. Two hoppers, one Joey is a no brainer, there should be no question to get that set-up.

Last edited:
I installed a Hopper last week and could not get the recording to work or the guide to download. Explained to the customer we need to let it download over night but after I had attempted to get it to download while I was there I was just hoping for the best. It never started working. I am going to replace tomorrow. It is my 4th hopper install and this is the first issue with software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)