Report: DIRECTV HD Satellite Launch Scheduled For july 6th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess I really jumped the gun, when I upgraded to HD D* equipment back in December. This weekend I saw my in-laws new LCD-HD, and thier OTA-HD looks just as good as D*. And since I don't watch sports much, nor use the current exclusive HD lineup frequently, they actually get MORE useful HD content than I do (there are 2 Locals, PBS & CW, which I watch that are not in HD on D* yet).

I could have used the $300+ for other things...

Why don't you throw up an OTA antenna and then you too can have the locals in HD ???

Also, If that date holds, it would likely not affect DIRECTV's plan to begin adding a large number of high-def channels in September.

Therefore, we will still have more HD channels in September :)

So being told that the new launch date is July 7 by D* public relations is pure speeculation?

I'll believe that when directv releases an official statement to the public. As this article says, no such statement has been made and the new launch date has not been agreed upon by all sides involved. But directv's public relations are almost as reliable as CSRs.

DirecTV does not as policy put out press releases on satellite launch dates as a rule. The best sources are generally through ILS and nasa.

The new target date is in fact July 6th (U.S.) but of course depends on deliverables being received as scheduled from Boeing.

DirecTV does not as policy put out press releases on satellite launch dates as a rule. The best sources are generally through ILS and nasa.

The new target date is in fact July 6th (U.S.) but of course depends on deliverables being received as scheduled from Boeing.

They don't have to come out and give a launch date, though under the circumstances with all the hype they have created and the fact that the channels are supposed to go live in 2 months, it is not so unreasonable. In any case, I am waiting for them simply to publically say this delay will not affect their september plans, not to give a launch date.

If the PR person says a date, then that is an official DirecTV statement.

No press release needed.

I just hope that when it does go up that the HD quality is as good as my Hartford loals are in MPEG4 HD! :)

"If the PR person says a date, then that is an official DirecTV statement."

LOL, you can't really believe that. A carefully constructed press release reviewed by many public relations people and possibly by higher ups is one thing, a quick response by one pr person is something else.

"I just hope that when it does go up that the HD quality is as good as my Hartford loals are in MPEG4 HD!"

I hope they don't have the technical problems the boston locals still do.

"If the PR person says a date, then that is an official DirecTV statement."

LOL, you can't really believe that. A carefully constructed press release reviewed by many public relations people and possibly by higher ups is one thing, a quick response by one pr person is something else.

"I just hope that when it does go up that the HD quality is as good as my Hartford loals are in MPEG4 HD!"

I hope they don't have the technical problems the boston locals still do.

Robert Mercer heads up their PR area - he is considered a reliable source of info. I wouldn't expect any press release regarding a satellite launch date. The fact that Mercer knew he was talking to a moderator of this site and offered that specific answer seems reasonable to me.

Robert Mercer heads up their PR area - he is considered a reliable source of info. I wouldn't expect any press release regarding a satellite launch date. The fact that Mercer knew he was talking to a moderator of this site and offered that specific answer seems reasonable to me.

Feel free to email the author of the article I posted then with this information.

"That date had been expected in September, but DirecTV could not be reached for comment to see if the reported launch delay would also impact the transmission start date."

But as I said, they were not looking for a specific launch date, just a statement about whether the delay would affect the september channel launches.

If somebody in the PR department said something it was not just a quick response. They are trained not to say anything unless it was already thought out and approved. That is why companies tell their employees not to say anything to the press but direct them to the PR department.

Last edited:
If somebody in the PR department said something it was not just a quick response. They are trained not to say anything unless it was already thought out and approved. That is why companies tell their employees not to say anything to the press but direct them to the PR department.

Thanks, but I worked in public relations for several years, I have an idea about how things work.

It just seems that since a major publication like this could not get an official response about whether it would impact the september launches, or any publication that I have seen for that matter, not everyone in directv has their stories straight about what the delay means.

Robert Mercer heads up their PR area - he is considered a reliable source of info.
Robert Mercer, the person responding to a personal request, is much more reliable that Robert Mercer the marketroid.

You may remember Robert Mercer as the PR guy who indicated shortly after the Sea Launch explosion that the explosion would have no impact on the company's future HD plans.

Honestly...is anyone surprised?

My thoughts and question exactly! D* seldom, if ever, does anything at the time they originally forecast, for a variety of reasons, some D*s fault, some not.

My attitude has always been to believe it when I actually am watching it on my trusty home TV. Until then, it's just a lot of air and hysterical speculation.

Great entertainment, though, isn't it? People get really stirred up about these idiots.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DIRECTV Getting Sued over HD Lite

New HD Equipment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts