Reports of Windows' death might not be too premature

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Bit of an article about Midori, a potential "clean sheet of paper" operating system from MS. Barely touches on the security aspects, but I suppose he's to be commended for getting an entire article out of very little information. This may come about due to the market resistance to Vista.

The next version of Microsoft's operating system, codenamed Vienna, is due for release in 2009.

That project is probably too far along to cancel. But, if the rumors are true it could be the last release of "Windows" as we know it.

Microsoft has done it before. They had Dos to Windows ME all one basic design, then switched it to Windows NT -- really a new thing. They will probably switch it all out again. With Windows on Windows technology (like they use in Vista 64 to run all the 32bit apps) it could be running on anything and still be compatible.

Really MS needs to get control again. They went a long ways in Vista 64, despite the howls of protest of breaking compatibility. They just did not go far enough and you can still get your computer overrun by malware.

Yeah, Windows 7 might be the last. But who knows. This whole thing (Midori) could die. But I just don't see Windows as it exists today, even if patched and painted, existing much longer.

Soon, people can buy something that lets them be using the computer within 10 seconds of turning it on. Off to the internet, to email, even to simple word processing and spreadsheet work. Many people will realize that it's all they want or need. Simple is better. Bloated Windows is just too complex and unreliable. Now it's leaked that even MS sees that.

I lost count how many eulogies for Windows (starting with 95) I read...
And nothing changed over those 13 years.

I started using Google Earth Pro recently.
The biggest non-evil, anti-MS, pro-Open Source company that actually has the teeth to do something about Microsoft, doesn't have a Linux version of this app...

I think you forgot what planet you live on.
Yeah, I guess...

Another example: Silverlight. Anybody tried streaming video from NBC?
Leaving aside the hoops one should jump to get it here in Canada, pretty good, I think..
And this was the comment in NYT
Slipstream - Olympics Online, With a Hook - NYTimes.com
“They’re still playing the same games,” said Michael R. Nelson, professor of Internet studies at Georgetown University. “It’s a way to lock up the content, and it’s not enabling as much innovation as we would like to see.”
Even The Register that loves MS as much as Google does (if not more), commented this way
Is Microsoft's Silverlight evil? | The Register
It seems to me that Microsoft cannot win here. If the NBC servers were stuttering then it would prove that Silverlight isn't up to the job and can't compete. If Microsoft were not doing Silverlight, it would confirm that the company doesn't grok the internet and is still stuck in the world of Windows and Office.

Diogen.

Yeah, I guess...

Another example: Silverlight. Anybody tried streaming video from NBC?
Leaving aside the hoops one should jump to get it here in Canada, pretty good, I think..
And this was the comment in NYT
Slipstream - Olympics Online, With a Hook - NYTimes.com

Even The Register that loves MS as much as Google does (if not more), commented this way
Is Microsoft's Silverlight evil? | The Register

Diogen.
Ever try to watch TV from iTunes, ABC, ESPN, or many other websites?

You have to install their app too.

Because Silverlight is MS suddenly it's evil? All providers should find a way to give everyone access but capitalism doesn't work that way. Especially on a planet of self absorbed humans.

Didn't mean to take this thread into a serious direction.

I'm still waiting for MS-Linux.

As I see it, SilverLight™ is just one more thing that Microsoft has to patch the second Tuesday of every month...

Regarding Midori, with Virtualization technology at its current level, who needs a PC to run Windows? Midori can be 0% Windows-compatible as long MS or VMware releases a x86 or x64 emulation package for it. If the platform runs on x86-compatible hardware and assuming well-behaved Windows applications, having a Windows API on the new machine might be all it takes to make people happy.

Yep, virtualization is pretty mainstream these days.

I still remember running Windows applications on my OS/2 box at home. Not sure if that would quite qualify, as I think OS/2 would actually run a copy of the windows 3.1 kernel. It's been awhile so I don't quite remember.

But it could sure multitask...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)