Repurposing old HR-34 / How and where to look?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

b.rad

Original poster
May 1, 2014
United States
Hi,

I have a HR-34 and another box that is a little older then that I believe. I don't have them here at where I am right now but was thinking about having them sent out to me. I know that they can never be used again with DirectTV because when my father passed away, I wanted to transfer the account into my name and use them because I paid for them. So I am sure they are black listed now. They said they would not do that so I was really upset and never paid them (or the left over bill since it was in my father's name anyway). I now have two higher end boxes (at that time) and I started to think, is there a way to reprogram them and use them as a DVR for my current service or some way put MythTV or something of the such on them and use them? Any ideas would be great! I think it would be a fun project to work on and would love to make use of them. Thank you for any information on it.

Best,

Bobby

No there is not a way to turn them into something else. The boards and chip-sets are proprietary so they are pretty much a door stop if you are not going to sub them to Directv.

So what can I do with them? They are just sitting around collecting dust... maybe I can strip them down and use the box and put a new board in them... and do a little circuit work and use the front panel buttons and such for a new setup?? Any ideas?

:welcome to Satelliteguys b.rad!

Sorry to say, but there isn't anything you can do with them except maybe use the hard drive in another device.

Yes you could certainly rip out the guts and use the case for your own project. How about a Raspberry Pi, and the hard drive,and a few other parts, etc, and have your own home brew media center. Not all that hard to do.

I have heard a lot of things about raspberry PI, but never looked into the specs of it too much. How powerful is it? Is it fast enough to run something like mythTV or such? (would that be the best for a dvr / live TV and guide?) How would I go about installing a video capture card / cable input?

Thank you for the replies so far..

and if he doesnt send it back what is directv gonna do? go after a dead guy :rolleyes:

Yes they will.

Hopefully they don't ever link it to the OP.

When my buddy passed away in '01, they required a Proof of the Death Certificate to release him of responsibilities.

Yes, I know this seems unrealistic, but it happened.

Yes they will.

Hopefully they don't ever link it to the OP.

When my buddy passed away in '01, they required a Proof of the Death Certificate to release him of responsibilities.

Yes, I know this seems unrealistic, but it happened.

Sadly, this has all but become the norm. Every company that you have a contract for some form if service requires the anymore. Actually had a customer that was actually on the hook for 3 it 4 HDDVRS due to the same thing. Parent passed away, some how the child (adult) was on the hook by some legal jargon. The guy actually took it to court, lost. Ended up paying directv THEN, he calls in and orders their services.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No too worried about it. When I had the fight with Directv about it, I told them what I was going to do and told them I was going to keep them unless they credit or refund my money that I spent on upgrading the system within on two months and then having to return it to them. The money came out of my own pocket not my fathers. I said same thing as to what Iceburg said, what are you going to do? Take the money from my fathers grave. And told them they couldn't do anything to me.... and they have left me allow ever since. I haven't received one letter from them to my father or to me... I really think it would cost them, 1. Too much to really get the boxes back... is it really worth it. 2. There is no way they can connect me to the boxes. So who are they going to go after? This way over a year ago...

No too worried about it. When I had the fight with Directv about it, I told them what I was going to do and told them I was going to keep them unless they credit or refund my money that I spent on upgrading the system within on two months and then having to return it to them. The money came out of my own pocket not my fathers. I said same thing as to what Iceburg said, what are you going to do? Take the money from my fathers grave. And told them they couldn't do anything to me.... and they have left me allow ever since. I haven't received one letter from them to my father or to me... I really think it would cost them, 1. Too much to really get the boxes back... is it really worth it. 2. There is no way they can connect me to the boxes. So who are they going to go after? This way over a year ago...

I'd saying you're prolly clear but I'd think they could link the head of your fathers estate for the debt of the unreturned boxes possibly? Not really sure, I'm a field tech, not a lawyer :D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

sure hope you don't end up in a nasty fight with them over this and it costs you even more money. sure hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to worried about it. Honestly, I really really liked Directv. There boxes are very advance and very clean looking. Plus they are pack with a lot more features then any other cable boxes that I know of. I just had Verizon FIOS and there boxes suck. There internet is the best I ever used but there boxes are really old. It was annoying coming from Directv to FIOS for TV....and now I moved again and my roommate has COX. Same thing.... there boxes suck too. It is really disappointing these cable companies are not stepping up to the plate and making better boxes. Although, I haven't seen it yet but I have seen ads for Comcast new box... I am not sure how good that is compared to Directv.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts