Retailer Chat Recap: January 14, 2010

Me too, I dropped both HBO and Starz and have not missed them at all. Saved 23 dollars per month. I have Absolute,k 1 722 and 1 211. I will have to wait to sdee what my new bill will be. Is the dvr fee included in the first dvr fee, since it was free.

After talking to the wife for a bit, we decided we are canceling Dish completely and are going to spend the savings that we usually spend on Dish AEP on a nice new Win7 Media Center HTPC using the HDHomerun network tuner. Hulu has a nice desktop application now and Youtube even has a decent 10ft interface. I'd say 90% of what I watch is local anyway, I'll miss the other channels like Discover, FoodTV, etc, but I'll enjoy having that extra $120/month that I've been sending Dish since 1998.

A lot of people that might have already thought that they were paying too much and was thinking about doing something about it, this probably made their minds up for them right there.

I am curious what my bill would be after the increases here is what I have
Classic Gold 250 with locals 62.99
Multi Sports Pack 5.99
DHPP 5.99
Solo 5.00
Duo 5.00
total 84.97 add on 78 cents tax 85.75
I have a primary 322G Reciver and a secondary 322G Reciver

no he is busy shining up E for sale.

he needs a message, a clear hit to his sub numbers both existing and new.

me? I am going t spend the weekend analyzing everything we watch.

I have come to realizer I have been spending way too much on tv........

All the TV's are off in the house at the moment(maybe one on downstairs as oldest daughter and son are here from college)we watched a bit of GMA and Today this morning getting the youngers out the door to school, tonight I'll see what I watch local or sat, tomorrow outside most of the day as it will be between 50 and 60. Then probably game in the evening- local- Sunday depends on the weather but probably rain so football games- local- youngest daughter may watch some Disney, youngest son is not really into TV(surprise). Then in about 2 1/2 months weather starts upward sprial and we will be outside alot, on the boat or where ever. So as the prices of a service we use on occasion (as marked by certain circumstances or occurrences) is it really worth 170.00 p/m for TV alone, and what will it rise to next year?????????????

why would you get so worked up over a blog report connected with a company announcement to its retailers? Wouldn't it make sense to wait to see the bill?
:confused:

Because some folks can't wait to vent their spleen. And make the post equivalent of holding their breath until they turn blue ("I'm gonna drop Dish/DirecTV/cableco etc unless they do what I tell them to!")

Welcome to SatGuys. Please stick around.

Some folk tend to try to see things in the worst light. And words like "greed" will be thrown about by some. Not everyone. Every year we go thru this, as rates go up. And people know that Dish's bills go up too, esp for content. And imagine the concept - people with more receivers actually paying more! Shocking!

Some folks tend to remember every dropped channel, and never remember the ones added. Some will state that receivers cost X amount to make, with varying degrees of accuracy. Yet those costs tend to ignore hardware development and software development and maintenance.

And another thing you'll see a lot of is hits against Charlie Ergen, how he's messed up this, that and the other thing. Mr. Ergen is a self made billionaire, and probably knows a tad more than some of our favorite spleen venters. You'll see a lot of posts where some claim to know more than Charlie, or Dish, etc. Like every other company, Dish will keep some info to themselves, and make some mistakes. But they've done pretty well so far, starting from nothing.

On the other hand, you'll also meet some of the nicest people here, and get a lot of good information. A lot of people here are more up to date that Dish CSRs. I think you'll find this to be a great place to hang out. Just keep a goodly sized grain of salt handy.

CCA or no CCA?...that is the question.

It seems that Dish is pushing CCA(Credit Card Autopay) to retailer/dealers now harder than ever. The only problem is....NOW with no cinemax for a penny offer the customers are more hesitant to do CCA which in turn costs retailer/dealers MORE money in the incentive bracket if the customer doesn't sign CCA. They(Dish) state that we are going to make a little more per subscriber if not about the same. I don't see how they figure!?! If a customer doesn't take CCA we as dealers/retailers are losing money i.e. 2 room sd dvr premuim customer with top 250 dish paid approx. $650.00 Now same setup-new subscriber...approx. $580.00. How does Dish figure we will make as much if not more? retailers/dealers.....grab yer stick and bite real hard cause this is gonna hurt fer a lil while.

I'm a little slow, but I think I've figured out how the new fees will affect my bill. Excluding taxes, here are my current and my estimated new (post-February) charges:​

Current:​

Classic Silver 200
w/ DVR Advantage & Locals -- 57.99
Additional Recvr (322 Duo) --- 5.00
Total ------------------------------ 62.99​

New:​

America's Top 200 w/ Locals -- 52.99
DVR 625 (Primary Recvr) -- 0.00
DVR Fee -- 6.00
322 Duo Recvr Fee -- 14.00
Total ------------------------------- 72.99​

So, did I get it? If so, I am contemplating a couple of things. First, I cannot drop DISH because I have about 17 months remaing on a committment. I was dealt a pay cut last summer, so I called DISH to see if they could help. They gave me $10 off for 12 months in return for a 2-year committment -- what's done is done, right? If I'm not "fee'd" to death up front, I am looking at trading the duo receiver for a solo which would knock $7 off. Or dropping DVR, keeping the 322 Duo and swapping the 625 for a non-DVR solo receiver. I wish I'd never jumped on the DVR bandwagon -- it has spoiled my wife and I, but if we'd never had it we wouldn't be struggling with keeping it or not. :rant:​

I have the exact same setup and that is what I figured also. I also get that $3
credit for DVR Advantage which I assume will be gone also? So I'm looking at a
$13 per month hike. I just can't imagine paying that much and will need to
evaluate what we'll do. I know price hikes are a way of life, but this is crazy!

I am curious what my bill would be after the increases here is what I have
Classic Gold 250 with locals 62.99
Multi Sports Pack 5.99
DHPP 5.99
Solo 5.00
Duo 5.00
total 84.97 add on 78 cents tax 85.75
I have a primary 322G Reciver and a secondary 322G Reciver

The changes will be a $14 charge for your second 322g. The $5 solo fee will drop so your total increase will be $4.

Because some folks can't wait to vent their spleen. And make the post equivalent of holding their breath until they turn blue ("I'm gonna drop Dish/DirecTV/cableco etc unless they do what I tell them to!")

Welcome to SatGuys. Please stick around.

Some folk tend to try to see things in the worst light. And words like "greed" will be thrown about by some. Not everyone. Every year we go thru this, as rates go up. And people know that Dish's bills go up too, esp for content. And imagine the concept - people with more receivers actually paying more! Shocking!

Some folks tend to remember every dropped channel, and never remember the ones added. Some will state that receivers cost X amount to make, with varying degrees of accuracy. Yet those costs tend to ignore hardware development and software development and maintenance.

And another thing you'll see a lot of is hits against Charlie Ergen, how he's messed up this, that and the other thing. Mr. Ergen is a self made billionaire, and probably knows a tad more than some of our favorite spleen venters. You'll see a lot of posts where some claim to know more than Charlie, or Dish, etc. Like every other company, Dish will keep some info to themselves, and make some mistakes. But they've done pretty well so far, starting from nothing.

On the other hand, you'll also meet some of the nicest people here, and get a lot of good information. A lot of people here are more up to date that Dish CSRs. I think you'll find this to be a great place to hang out. Just keep a goodly sized grain of salt handy.

Look back over the years I rarely say much about increases, costs go up so must prices. A few % no biggie. Hey tv is my entertainment:)

But for multi receiver people when have we seen such a large percentage increase?

that there is the issue. and probably will be for the long term subs.

my theory is long termers are more likely to have multiple DVR boxes.

known as their stickiest subs E target us to pay the freight for everyone.

Ok so would my bill be around 91 dollars or 109 dollars.

Just add $4 to your bill when the increase goes into effect. I'm hearing,and this is just rumor for now, that the new prices on existing customers will not happen until July.

I must say I'm amazed that it's this late in the game and Dish has not made the price increase and timing perfectly clear. Will anything really happen on 2/1?

I'll certainly be home watching a lot of TV then.

I got notice of Cinemax for a penny ending by phone and by email.
I got neither. I did see that Cinemax no longer shows up on my account, though. I also saw a double Solo HD Receiver fee for January that I am going to get resolved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts