Retailer Chat Recap: January 14, 2010

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Reviewing my folks current bill (very few line items):
$67.99 Classic Gold 250 with Locals & DVR (ViP722)
$10.00 HD & Platinum
$10.00 DuoDVR Receiver (522) ($5 fee for 2nd recvr is waived)

So their current total bill is $87.99 (excluding adjustments/taxes)

It looks to me that their bill will go up $7.00 since the charge for their 2nd receiver will increase to $17.00 from $10.00 (plus another $1 for the DVR fee increase). Am I correct?

But, if they swap out their DuoDVR 522 for an HD SoloDVR ViP 612, the charge for the 2nd receiver would remain the same at $10.00....

It seems that Dish is pushing CCA(Credit Card Autopay) to retailer/dealers now harder than ever. The only problem is....NOW with no cinemax for a penny offer the customers are more hesitant to do CCA which in turn costs retailer/dealers MORE money in the incentive bracket if the customer doesn't sign CCA. They(Dish) state that we are going to make a little more per subscriber if not about the same. I don't see how they figure!?! If a customer doesn't take CCA we as dealers/retailers are losing money i.e. 2 room sd dvr premuim customer with top 250 dish paid approx. $650.00 Now same setup-new subscriber...approx. $580.00. How does Dish figure we will make as much if not more? retailers/dealers.....grab yer stick and bite real hard cause this is gonna hurt fer a lil while.

The only way a retailer can make the same amount as we use to, is if we are signing up a premium customer and they sign up for CCA. When they had Cinemax for a penny we had about a 40% sign-up rate. Now that its gone, I'm guessing 10%.

Just add $4 to your bill when the increase goes into effect. I'm hearing,and this is just rumor for now, that the new prices on existing customers will not happen until July.

Lets hope so more time to shop for alternatives:)

5 bucks to 17 bucks what ever goes up that much?

suggestions?

Welcome to the first SatelliteGuys Retailer Chat Recap of 2010! Yeah we missed last weeks mini retailer chat which was done at CES, but that was because we didnt see the show since we were at CES. :)

As always the SatelliteGuys Retailer Chat Recap is a recap of the Dish Network Retailer chat, however the information posted here is items from the chat which are of interest to YOU the consumer. In our recaps we do not report on dealer sensitive items such as dealer costs or profits.

Basically you will find out here what you could find out from your local Dish Network retailer if he or she watched the chat. :)

Today's Chat SHOULD be an interesting one... I am hearing that on todays chat they will be announcing the new pricing structure to the retailers.

In addition I am hopefull that we get some HD news. As was rumored in the Pub Members forum there are now 10 national HD channels up in testing and I am HOPING that we hear something about these channels on todays chat.

A big THANK YOU to all the Pub Members who help us keep the lights on here at SatelliteGuys.US! Without their support we would not be able to keep the lights on for all.

This thread will be locked and then reopened once the first recap has been posted.

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys!

Perhaps this is your opportunity to suggest an alternative to make up the price/value difference between the 612 and the 211? Just a thought. $150 for upgrade instead of $100....

Last edited:
close

The only way a retailer can make the same amount as we use to, is if we are signing up a premium customer and they sign up for CCA. When they had Cinemax for a penny we had about a 40% sign-up rate. Now that its gone, I'm guessing 10%.

I close assuming they will want the ccap. Always suprised when they don't. I just tell them there first bill will be for two months and will appear on their credit card. I make them request snail mail delivery. Good luck.

Hi there!!! Could any one help me figure out what I'll be expecting?? I just NOW did my 1 and only upgrade from the VERY FIRST 501'S ever to come out to the 722.

My bill currently:

DISH Network DVR Service Fee 5.98
Classic Bronze 100 With Locals 39.99
HD & Platinum 10.00
$ 55.97​
Taxes
State/Local Tax (Sales/Gross Receipts) 1.06​
Total Due by Jan 28, 2010 $ 57.03

What is the likely scenario I'll be paying? I only have (1) 722. I use the HD in the family room. The tv2 goes to the bedroom even tho there is HD tv in there as well.

2ndly my folks have:

Classic Gold 250 at $57.99
Locals which is I think $5(?)
(2) 501's at $5
(2) 301's at $5

Total is $82.99 before taxes.

How much you think they will be seeing in difference?

Thanks in advance!!

Most of us know that Charlie is an excellent poker player.

Well he's playing poker with us now, not just with the content providers.

His bet is that enough of the high dollar subs will just take the equipment fee screwing that it will at least break even and probably they'll make some money on it.

It is not going to effect me very much, I have a 722k as my primary receiver, and a 211, a 211k and a DP301. My bill will go up $2.02 ($2 for the 301 and $0.02 for the DVR fee going from $5.98 to $6.00) so I don't sweat it and I'm even more solidly stuck to my HDAbsolute package.

I pay $65 a month for Absolute and 4 receivers, I just bought a 211 off eBay to replace the 301 since they are charging me the same fee as if I have one.

If Absolute goes away I'll go back to OTA maybe basic cable and Dish can go to hell.

I have a question about the new pricing structure. Scott said earlier that Locals will be included automatically in the price. For people who choose to not have their locals (even though they can get them), will they automatically have locals added? Or will they be grandfathered in, and not have to get locals unless they change programming packages?

I have a question about the new pricing structure. Scott said earlier that Locals will be included automatically in the price. For people who choose to not have their locals (even though they can get them), will they automatically have locals added? Or will they be grandfathered in, and not have to get locals unless they change programming packages?

What I heard was everyone who had locals up would get them, no grandfathering.they will be auto added......

E hs spent a fortune putting up locals its time to cash in I guess:(

If locals are available in your dma , you will get them regardless if you want them or not. IF no locals , then you will see a 5.00 discount. DISH only lacks about 20- 30 or so dmas from being totally finished on the entire country. There is speculation that they will finish them this year or next, if and when, the congress approves the new satellite home improvement act . This new act should allow DISH to use distant network channels from neighboring dmas to finish out the dmas lacking all 4 of the big 4 networks. This looks like it will get approval soon.

I currently have Classic Silver DVR advantage, which is $57.99/mo. I downgraded from Classic Gold with HD earlier this year due to budgetary constraints. I also have two 622 "HD Duo" DVRs. My base package rate will be going down to $52.99 since they will no longer offer DVR advantage. My second receiver fee goes up to $17 and they charge me $6 a month for the DVR fee. After changes my bill only goes up $6 a month, for a 7.8% increase. Not too bad, but it irks me that they claim I am saving money with the "elimination" of the second receiver phone connection fee. All of my receivers have always been plugged in to a phone line, so I have never paid this fee. I guess Dish thinks I should have been.

I have had Dish for 10 years now, and never thought I would say this. When my current contract is up, I am going to cable. They offer virtually the same programming choices for about the same price, plus I can bundle internet service and save a little. On top of that they throw in the HD channels for free, which Dish charges $10 a month for. In effect, my total internet/TV bill will go down by about $20 a month if I were to add in the price of the HD pack on Dish. I also like that I can tune in the clear QAM HD channels from cable on the TV tuner on my PC, but that's just icing on the cake. Thanks, Dish. It's been a great ride as long as it has lasted.

Just wondering....

I'm just wondering, you subscribers that have been with Dish for a few years, how much will this price changing screw up our billing? Has price increases gone smooth as far as billing, or should we get ready for some real chaos? I have trouble keeping track of what they do now.
On a side note, what is the word on more HD channels being added to the line up, or has that just fallen by the wayside?
Ghpr13:confused:

Biggest mess was when E made the supers seperate. ONE day they went POOF GONE FOR EVERYONE:(

It took forever to get thru on phone to add them back which was my only way to get Voyager, star trek.

I remember when the supers were including in the $29.99 top 60 package (there was a $19.99 top 40 package as well) and I LOVED THEM! When they made them separate I still ordered them. I cancelled them all except one which showed WB. I cancelled it when I got my locals and it included the WB.

It might have been a little less than $29.99 give or take a few bucks. I think it was TOP 50 at one time instead of TOP 60 wasn't it when it first came out? This was way back in 1997.

Boy have things changed since then BIG TIME!

I remember when the supers were including in the $29.99 top 60 package (there was a $19.99 top 40 package as well) and I LOVED THEM! When they made them separate I still ordered them. I cancelled them all except one which showed WB. I cancelled it when I got my locals and it included the WB.

It might have been a little less than $29.99 give or take a few bucks. I think it was TOP 50 at one time instead of TOP 60 wasn't it when it first came out? This was way back in 1997.

Boy have things changed since then BIG TIME!

Imagine how much they will change in another 13 years. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts