Retailer Chat Recap: January 14, 2010

Dish will be launching a new website on February 1st for exisiting customers explaining them the new pricing.
Ha! This is my second favorite after "discontinuing the credit." :( Their new pricing is so simplified, it requires a new website to explain it! Probably they'll have the new prices blurred out so we can't really read anything but the spin.

Ha! This is my second favorite after "discontinuing the credit." :( Their new pricing is so simplified, it requires a new website to explain it! Probably they'll have the new prices blurred out so we can't really read anything but the spin.

The other false one is "Only one DVR fee now".

There is now not only the $6 DVR fee per account, there is also a $3 DVR fee per DVR - every receiver fee is $3 higher if it has the phrase "DVR" fee in it.

IF they were really changing to one $6 DVR fee per account, then the receiver pricing would be identical for DVRs and non-DVR receivers.

Customers are going to care less about having their receivers hooked up now since there is no incentive to drag a phone line across the wall when they move the TV.

So much for early reporting which said DISH doing the right thing for their TurboHD subs and actually lowering their pricing (after last year's big price increase and broken promise of lots of new HD channels). :rolleyes: I should have known it was too good to be true!

Also they claim some people's bills went down, but I'm not sure how anyone could be seeing a lower bill with all these price increases.

Charging for an owned receiver is an abomination and whoever thought of it should be exiled from the civilized world.

There is now not only the $6 DVR fee per account, there is also a $3 DVR fee per DVR - every receiver fee is $3 higher if it has the phrase "DVR" fee in it.

IF they were really changing to one $6 DVR fee per account, then the receiver pricing would be identical for DVRs and non-DVR receivers.

You are 100% correct!

I agree with everything you said here. DVR users are STILL paying a per DVR DVR feee plus an additional $6 as well.

Hmmm,

Currently 2 222ks with phone line hooked up and turbo HD Bronze.

$41.99/ mo.

After Feb 1st

+$7.00 receiver fee
+$5.00 discontinued phoneline credit

$53.99/ mo.

That's a 28% increase!

Bye Dish!

Maybe because they consider it such a minimal price increase, it doesn't warrant adding any new HD. ;)

I'd like to see their numbers on the subs paying less. I don't think there could be many. AEP went down but many of those higher end subs will have multiple duo HD DVRs I'd guess and will see net increases in their bills. The 612s are a couple bucks cheaper, but how many subs have these compared to 722s and 622s? Everything else is the same price or higher. Am I wrong? I thought the Turbo packs were going to see a $5 decrease. Those subs would have accounted for some decreases. Since that decrease apparently didn't materialize, many will end up paying a buck more.

I wouldn't complain about that or they'll just make the non-DVR models $3 more.

Does the discontinuation of the phone line credit apply to those of us whose accounts consist solely of one dual-tuner receiver, since we were supposed to have been exempt from the requirement (whether we really were or not is a matter of debate) since last year?

In other words, is my bill going up $5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)