Review: Tek2000 8' Mesh Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Looks good. Was the pole included? (just wondering) looks like a floating slab type 'base' - is there a 'way' to plumb the pole if the slab shifts?

Looks good. Was the pole included? (just wondering) looks like a floating slab type 'base' - is there a 'way' to plumb the pole if the slab shifts?
Dish did not include a pole. I am temporarily using one from a 6' solid dish from Sadoun that I will put up at some point in the future once I get a better pole in the ground for the 8' mesh. The concrete pad used to be the foundation for a small shed that was torn down before we bought our house. The pole mounts with three concrete anchors plus there a three bracing rods that extend from the pole. Pad isn't quite level but I was able plumb the pole by adjusting the nuts on each concrete anchor while using a magnetic inclinometer. :) Here is a pic from a few weeks ago when I was working on it.
100_1305.JPG

If contemplating another floating slab: Easy to 'level'. I hose 'em down with WD40 twice a yr when I check the pole for plumb (spring and fall).
2010_may 030.jpg bolt_Detail.jpg
EDIT: S P R A Y that turns into spray edited to 'hose'

Last edited:
OK, I finally got around to getting my pictures off the camera and resized. They cover from receiving the packages, and noted package damages, initial setup and the mostly finished project. The one thing I did change were the nuts on the declination adjustment. I was afraid that I might not have enough adjustment space with the full size nuts, so I replaced them with half nuts. So, assuming I am able to get them all uploaded, here they are:

shrunk_DSCN3245.JPG shrunk_DSCN3246.JPG shrunk_DSCN3245.JPG shrunk_DSCN3246.JPG shrunk_DSCN3247.JPG shrunk_DSCN3247.JPG shrunk_DSCN3250.JPG shrunk_DSCN3252.JPG shrunk_DSCN3253.JPG shrunk_DSCN3254.JPG

Thanks for the pics! Have you had time to tune it in well enough to give some performance info? I’m curious if you have been able to scan in the cbs 4:2:2 feeds on 89W or 97W with it.

I am using my Micro HD receiver with it for now. So, I haven't even thought about the 4.2.2, but then again I guess football season is just around the corner. I mentioned earlier in this thread, that I had failed to do my final tighten up before I left the dish and bought myself another round tuning at the dish. I just did a round of that last night, but am still off just a tiny bit. I lost the Lunken (RTV) stuff on 87W, but got back everything on the west end including 139W. So, I'm just off a tiny bit, but enough to cause me lose the RTV stuff. May of lost that much tightening the mount back to the post. Will probably some time in the not to distant future take another go at it, but for now I'm good with it.

Nice pics bpalone! I see your boxes arrived torn. On mine, the strapping slid sideways on the box with the mesh panels and the panels slid against each other but no major damage and thankfully the box didn't tear open. The box with the ring and other parts had a few tears but no damage and nothing missing. They really should improve their packaging. :(

I was tweaking the dish and was finally able to get Luken on 87W to scan in but with pixelation. I had ordered a Titanium PLL LNB and it arrived so I removed the old LNB and after installing the Titanium I must say I'm pleased with the results. The Luken channels scanned in solid with no pixelation at about 3 points higher quality than before and FilmOn was better too. ZNS on 87W and TCT on 101W also scanned in for the first time. It's supposed to rain the next few days but when it clears I'm gonna take the tv and receiver out to the dish and fine tune things.

Reactions: Titanium
Nice job on the pixs and drawings! It looks to be good construction as compared to some of the junk that is available. Be interesting to see comparison testing beside a dish with known performance. Glad to hear that the Titanium Satellite PLL LNBF helped with your reception! :D

Agree that the shipping method and panel protection is very poor. You can't ship panels in an unprotected cardboard shell. The provided carton would make a decent inner container for a properly protected shipping carton and would be best delivered strapped to a pallet.

Yeah, I'm impressed. Looks better that a lot of economy dishes that I've seen BITD. Decent sized dish ring. And looks to be decent gauge steel parts.
How is the mesh attached?

Yeah, I'm impressed. Looks better that a lot of economy dishes that I've seen BITD. Decent sized dish ring. And looks to be decent gauge steel parts.
I believe from another thread it was said it was rivets.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Forgot to measure the thickness of the steel parts in my earlier post but it's at least 1/8". I also measured the surface of the dish across the curve of the face and it's about 94". And here's a close-up of what the mesh is attached with. Appears to be some type of rivet about 1/2 or so across.100_1428_Resized.JPG

Hi FTA4PA. Sorry to read you're having troubles locking NBC. I looked at the pictures of where the mount cap goes over the pipe (the two that caught my eye are attached). It looks like to me the cap is not parallel to the pipe.Is the pipe not plumb or the mount cap not plumb? If either is off your dish probably won't track the arc properly. Not trying to nit pick just help out.

Attachments

• 100_1420.JPG
    100_1420.JPG
    757.5 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_1421.JPG
    100_1421.JPG
    983.9 KB · Views: 351
Hi FTA4PA. Sorry to read you're having troubles locking NBC. I looked at the pictures of where the mount cap goes over the pipe (the two that caught my eye are attached). It looks like to me the cap is not parallel to the pipe.Is the pipe not plumb or the mount cap not plumb? If either is off your dish probably won't track the arc properly. Not trying to nit pick just help out.
Hi beavs2112! Thanks for replying. Nope, all is straight and plumb - just poor camera angles on my part. :rolleyes: I have locked NBC, Luken and others now. I just had the old LNB mounted too far out from the focal point. Have since replaced it with a Titanium C1-PLL and it's working even better! :)

How did they tie the outer edge of the dish together? 1x1 is alum.? And since it is assembled; can you provide any close-ups of the "wrenched bolts" or not mesh screws. Could you show the parts that came inside the door and the boxes?

I have 20 mph winds most every day; how will it work for shaded mountains?

Just out of curiosity, any issues with the trees in the background?. The dish is a beautiful thing, nice work on the install.

Thanks! The C band goes from 55.5W to 125W (KU from 30W to 125W). The ground slopes up gradually to the west of the dishes but the tree line is probably over 150' away so not a real problem at this point. I may need/want to trim them at the spot the dishes point to in the future (may even get further west satellites then).:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)