RG6 - that important

rlariv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I was at a friends place in Canada last month... I thought I fixed the issue - but guess not..need advice before I go further

Setup = 1 dish with dual ported LNB, RG75 cable...cables from roof, to basement and then back to rooms... , two receivers...

symptoms... both receivers plugged in - one upstairs not working...

what I did when I was there: -powered both off and reconnected all cables... everything came in on both receivers...

what I got a call a week later on: now the receiver downstairs downstairs does not work ?

So... does RG75 cause issues with 18/13 volt (ground looping), or is one receiver acting up ? or is the LNB doing something weird like leaking volts across and taking down one receiver...

BTW... after power off and reconnect, and switching receivers - based on phone call... the problem followed the cable... IE>.. the upstairs works on the other receiver...

Another point: called Bell Express - they are %$^&#$*& .... they said - its an installation issue and they do not handle that problem... my friend ended up trying to escalate on the phone - and have to hang up on them... they do NOT take care of their customers... shame... I know if they were new... they would not get that treatment... my Dad hates them too by the way... but he has found a high up friend in Bell to help him... my friend has no such luck..

Any ideas on the issue ? cable, ground loop ? LNB leaking ?

thought it wa s75 - maybe 59 sure... the lengths are 100 feet on both ?

thought it wa s75 - maybe 59 sure... the lengths are 100 feet on both ?
100' of RG59 will have big problems with drops in voltage.
At that distance, with that same a gage, who will get a voltage drop big enough to affect the Lnb.

If using legacy (non DishPro) equipment, you're only supposed to go a max of 100' when using RG6 (which is a thicker strand of copper). I would definitely run new lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts