Ripped Off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I recently purchased a coolsat 6000 from CoolSatVSP of Los Angeles, CA. They had a Coolsat Authorized Distributor (Gold) logo on their site with the number #863027. So, I thought I was fine and not purchasing a clone.

My coolsat didn't work well right out of the box (initially it would shut down when you pushed certain buttons). But, I got it to work fairly well for a short time. Then, on Saturday, the unit stopped turning on completely. It cycles on and off and won't actually show a picture.

When I went to the coolsat website to determine how to handle a warranty claim, I looked around and found a webpage that describes clones. My unit shows 2 of the 3 indicia of clones shown on the site. Combined with not working right, I assume I have a clone.

I sent an e-mail to the seller that hasn't been returned.

What should I do now? I paid through paypal with a credit card. Can I ask the credit card to reverse the charges? I don't know how that works with paypal.

I am trying to figure out how to install software from the coolsat site, but I'm not optimistic.

Should I inform Coolsat?

Any help appreciated.

I would complain to paypal, I believe there something they have to protect buyers like you.
Depending on what credit card you use, check with them as well. Don't put any software into it, you might void any warranty on it. Do it ONLY if the Coolsat folks tells you to. More than likely if your receiver is not a clone Coolsat will ask you to send it back, and send you another one.
Good luck, and let us know how it went.

I'd call the credit card company and dispute the charge. PayPal's guarantee might be useless. Even if you get them to rule in your favor, you might still lose $25.

Avoid sending the unit to the factory unless/until you get a firm decision on whether or not it is a clone. Another forum member sent his Pansat 3500 in for warranty work, and now Pansat refuses to ship it back to him, claiming it is a clone.

Coolsat was fair with me; Other suggestions.

I had a problem with a Coolsat 8000 I purchased from a dealer on ebay. It had an electrical problem similar to the one described above. It would just shut down after working for a few seconds.

I called Fretec and they told me to send it back. They then sent it back.

I sent it back and the replacement unit could not get KU after they sent it back. There was no current to the lnb.

I sent it to Freetec again and they replaced it with a new unit because "I was their customer."

You might have an electrical problem.

The replacement unit sometimes stops receiving signal and shows a blank screen, even when it is on. I shut it off in the back, let it sit for awhile and then turn it on. The Softwear "re-loads" itself and it works properly.

Try this and see if your receiver works.

You might also check the ground and that the receiver is away from other electronic units (like a subwoofer) which might interfere with it.

If all this doesn't solve the problem, a broken receiver does not do you any good.

If its a clone, the dealer cheated you. I cannot see why you would want it, except as evidence against the dealer.

I would think Coolsat would want to look into this, to protect themselves, too. They certainly do not want authorized dealers to sell clones.

You should call them and verify that the dealer was a Coolsat dealer. I would enlist their aid in verifying the unit is a clone and addressing thiswith their dealer (if it is).

Your options also include: calling the police and discussing your suspicions it is a clone; asking Coolsat to look at it and determine if its a clone (you should secure their agreement in advance to send it back to you to be used as evidence if it is a clone and to cooperate in any complaint through pay palor your credit card company). Remember, Coolsat has an incentive to stop cloning.

Last edited:
What should I do now? I paid through paypal with a credit card. Can I ask the credit card to reverse the charges? I don't know how that works with paypal.

I am trying to figure out how to install software from the coolsat site, but I'm not optimistic.

Should I inform Coolsat?

Any help appreciated.

If you inform Coolsat or send it in they will keep it.

Just deal with your credit card, tell them the box is DOA and does not work.

Don't waste your time with Paypal. THEIR PROTECTION IS A JOKE!

This is the main reason I won't buy on eBay unless I have no other choice!
Bob
I buy from eBay because the prices are normally WAY below what I would pay locally, and the selection is WAY above what I could find locally. Plus, I like to gamble, but my religion preaches against it - so I use eBay and fill that gambling thrill! ;)

Paypal works fine as long as you play within their rules. Sometimes that means filing a claim if you have an icky feeling early on - thusly freezing funds early in the game. Other times, it means paying only by credit card via paypal so that you always get your $$$ back one way or another :)

I disputed the charge with my credit card company. I've never done that before that I can recall. They said that they will investigate and give the merchant a chance to respond. I'm not sure how that will work with pay pal in the middle.

I sent an e-mail to coolsat tech support, but haven't heard anything. Of course, I haven't heard from the merchant . . . .

I hope my credit card dispute works!

How long has it been since you tried to contact the seller???? If you have given him ample time to respond then contact EBAY then PAYPAL.

Paypal and Ebay should be able to get you a new receiver.

contact the seller one more time and tell him you are going to give him a negative on the feedback if he dosn't respond in a number of days.

How long has it been since you tried to contact the seller???? If you have given him ample time to respond then contact EBAY then PAYPAL.

Paypal and Ebay should be able to get you a new receiver.

contact the seller one more time and tell him you are going to give him a negative on the feedback if he dosn't respond in a number of days.

I did not buy the receiver off of ebay. I purchased it from the seller's website.

Did you try...

my suggestions to get it to work properly?

If an authorized Coolsat dealer will not respond to you, you need to let Coolsat know about it.

my suggestions to get it to work properly?

If an authorized Coolsat dealer will not respond to you, you need to let Coolsat know about it.

I sent an e-mail to Coolsat two days ago and I've heard nothing from them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts