Roethlisberger accussed of sexual assult...AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TD passes to Joe Haden. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

With Joe Haden and the recent trade for Sheldon Brown, I'm suddenly liking our secondary.

It's a QB's league no doubt and taking away the QB's main weapons by getting a shut-down CB is very important.

In fairness, Vick's victims were dogs while ben's (alleged) victim was human. While Vick's behavior was disgusting, (alleged) rape is a far more serious crime and deserves a more serious punishment.

This comparision is bizarre. Michael Vick was convicted of a felony and served time in prison. You cannot use the 'they were only dogs' defense, that was not used as a defense during Vick's trial, and that's irrelevant now. Vick was found guilty and is now and will always be an ex-convict.

On the other hand Ben Roethlisberger was not even charged with a crime, but he gets a bigger suspension.

Makes you wonder if what salsadancer said about race being an issue is true. I thought it was preposterous when he said it, but he may be right after all.

Sandra

This comparision is bizarre. Michael Vick was convicted of a felony and served time in prison. You cannot use the 'they were only dogs' defense, that was not used as a defense during Vick's trial, and that's irrelevant now. Vick was found guilty and is now and will always be an ex-convict.

On the other hand Ben Roethlisberger was not even charged with a crime, but he gets a bigger suspension.

Makes you wonder if what salsadancer said about race being an issue is true. I thought it was preposterous when he said it, but he may be right after all.

Sandra

I didn't bring up Vick. I was just responding to somebody else.

Not being charged or being charged and acquitted does not mean innocent. Had OJ Simpson been a current player 15 or so years ago, I would have not had a problem with him being suspended just as I don;t have a problem with Ben being suspended.

I didn't bring up Vick. I was just responding to somebody else.

Not being charged or being charged and acquitted does not mean innocent. Had OJ Simpson been a current player 15 or so years ago, I would have not had a problem with him being suspended just as I don;t have a problem with Ben being suspended.

Well, I'm bringing up the fact that a person convicted of a felony gets suspended for less time than a person who wasn't even charged with a crime. Makes you wonder about what salsadancer said...:(

Sandra

Well, I'm bringing up the fact that a person convicted of a felony gets suspended for less time than a person who wasn't even charged with a crime. Makes you wonder about what salsadancer said...:(

Sandra
How many games did Vick miss as a result of his crime? How many will Ben? I think the Commish gave Vick credit for time-served.

How many games did Vick miss as a result of his crime? How many will Ben? I think the Commish gave Vick credit for time-served.

Vick missed two games. Roethlisberger's suspension is 4-6 games. I do not believe Goodell said anything about time served regarding Vick, nor should he have. If Vick missed NFL games because he was in prison at the time, that's his problem.

Sandra

Vick missed two games. Roethlisberger's suspension is 4-6 games. I do not believe Goodell said anything about time served regarding Vick, nor should he have. If Vick missed NFL games because he was in prison at the time, that's his problem.

Sandra

I'm not talking about games Suspended. I'm talking about games missed. Vick missed a lot more than two as a result of his crimes. Goodell didn;t have to mention anything about time-served. He did it implicitly by waiting for Vick's release from prison to issue the suspension.

Sandra

You're missing the point.

Vick wasn't suspended by the league as long as Ben because in the eyes of the NFL, his punishment was served by jail time.

Ben on the other hand didn't get punished by the law. You can look at this two ways: He shouldn't receive further punishment from the NFL because in the eyes of the law, he wasn't punished or the NFL is it's own entity and has every right to punish their employees however they see fit. In the words of the Commish: "in the NFL, we hold our players to a higher standard".

Sandra
Technically, Vick was under an "indefinite suspension" during those two years he was locked up....

Vick suspended indefinitely by NFL - NFL - ESPN

You're missing the point.

Vick wasn't suspended by the league as long as Ben because in the eyes of the NFL, his punishment was served by jail time.

Ben on the other hand didn't get punished by the law. You can look at this two ways: He shouldn't receive further punishment from the NFL because in the eyes of the law, he wasn't punished or the NFL is it's own entity and has every right to punish their employees however they see fit. In the words of the Commish: "in the NFL, we hold our players to a higher standard".

Sounds like semantics. You can word it any way you like, but the bottom line is Vick only had to miss two games in which he was actually a free man and able to play. On the official books of the NFL, it was a two game suspension.

Sandra

Sounds like semantics. You can word it any way you like, but the bottom line is Vick only had to miss two games in which he was actually a free man and able to play. On the official books of the NFL, it was a two game suspension.

Sandra

No, "semantics" is you ignoring the two years he was locked up.

So in your opinion, should Plaxico Burress be suspended for more games when he get's out of jail for shooting himself?

Haven't really thought about that, but probably yes.

I really don't get the 'time served' thing. It was widely reported during Vick's incarceration that he would receive a suspension when he got out of prison and tried to return to the NFL. So now we're saying Vick received a 34 game suspension? It was never acknowledged as such.

Sounds strange, like we're re-writing history or something.

Sandra

Last edited:
Looks like Plax, like Vick, is suspended while in prison also:

Plaxico Burress is not under contract to an NFL team. In light of his plea today, Commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Burress and informed him that he is ineligible to sign with any team until he completes his jail term. Commissioner Goodell said Burress will be reinstated and eligible to sign with an NFL team upon the completion of his sentence.

Plaxico Burress suspended until he gets out of jail

Poor Ben. Even the elephants don't want him around any more:

Mario Lemieux is replacing Ben Roethlisberger, at least at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.

The image of Big Ben has been used in a display on the pathway leading to the elephant barn. The graphic compares the height of the elephants to other creatures.

The Steelers quarterback was still at the zoo on Thursday, but a new sign has been made using the image of hockey great Mario Lemieux and will replace the Roethlisberger piece of the exhibit.

Asked if the display change has anything to do with current events, a zoo spokesman said, "well, we have had some calls."

"Mr. Roethlisberger isn't the most popular person lately," said Tracy Gray, manager of public and media relations.

Roethlisberger replaced in graphic at the Pittsburgh zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts