Rootkit infection requires Windows reinstall

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
New malware hides in the PC's Master Boot Record and fools cleaning attempts.
A new variant of a Trojan Microsoft calls "Popureb" digs so deeply into the system that the only way to eradicate it is to return Windows to its out-of-the-box configuration. For details click here

Source:computerworld

Frank- Time to keep your C drive cloned to a second hard drive. Been doing that for all our computers here for years. Wife recently had a nasty virus because she opened a file attached to an email from a friend who is clueless to her internet surfing to bad web sites. Wife's laptop was a complete mess. It was a Dell and I love them because the drive is in a drawer. I pulled out her drive and stuck a clone we created about a month ago. Then recloned the clone to her original for the next time. It really is the fastest way to save you butt for all virus and trojans. Still use AV and other malware protections, however. This year I have done the clone swap thing of 3 computers and one of them twice. I also keep all data files (except for laptops) on a separate D drive too. On my laptop, I have to use a partition for that. I back up the data drives once a week maximum except for my main computer I surf the web with which is scanned and backed up daily. The C drive only has the installed programs and temp files so it is usually good until a major change is done like a new application install. I back up when necessary and do the clones once a month.

My old laptop and that PC that had the bad caps on the mother board have cloned backups. This one, that I use the most, I haven't gotten around to it. You are right. I need to.......

When I was editing TV on deadlines, I figured out that having a clone backup was the fastest way to recover from any trouble with a hard drive problem. Once you purchase the drive it is a cheap way to do backups that has the most reward. I began doing backup clones this way in the mid 90's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)