Roundup: $800 Subwoofers

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
083013_sub_roundup_opener_crop.jpg

Geoff reinforced this idea when, after I revealed the subs’ identities, he concluded, “I could make a good case for buying the NHT or the Power Sound, but for completely different reasons.” These two subs exhibit nearly opposite strengths and weaknesses: one small, décor-friendly, and audiophile-oriented, and the other huge, décor-hostile, and home theaterphile-oriented.

That said, some of these subs are better buys than others. For raw home theater power, our pick is the Power Sound Audio XV15. If you don’t like that model’s bulky form factor, you’ll lose little or nothing sonically by going with the SVS PC12-NSD. For audiophiles who want precision and finesse and don’t care about powerful, ultra-deep bass — or who need a décor-friendly subwoofer to preserve domestic peace — our pick is the NHT B-12d

Link

Powersound, which is run by some of the guys that started with SVS, is making a name for themselves. Id love to audition their model with dual front firing 15's. I dont understand why a VTF3 MK4 wasnt in this shootout.

I need a new subwoofer since I never did like my matching Klipsch. However, the Klipsch KLF (30s main, C7 center and 10s rear) put out of ton of bass...most people don't even know I removed the SW. Conversely, although I'll gladly fork over $1500 for a new Yamaha RX-A3020...$800 is a little steep for a SW.

The article contained absolutely no data. Seemed to be an ad to buy the magazine.

I am also amused by the 'conclusions'
Take one look at these subwoofers and it’s obvious they were designed for different types of buyers. No one of sound mind would ask, “Gosh, should I buy the Paradigm Monitor SUB 10 or the Power Sound Audio XV15?” That’s like asking, “Should I buy a Fiat 500 or a Ford F-150?”

Reminds me of the old Stereo Review where one wag quipped "They never met a speaker they didn't like"
Apparently though, they didn't like the Velodyne, since that was the only one they didn't recommend. Don't feel too snubbed, though. I still love my 15 year old 12"

I need a new subwoofer since I never did like my matching Klipsch. However, the Klipsch KLF (30s main, C7 center and 10s rear) put out of ton of bass...most people don't even know I removed the SW. Conversely, although I'll gladly fork over $1500 for a new Yamaha RX-A3020...$800 is a little steep for a SW.

My Klipsch sub-12 was OK, but I overspent on it. Hsu VTF2 MK4 blew it away, but my room is so big I had to go larger with a 15", 12" just did not quite cut it.

If I get a decent bonus next Feb, this one is on my list. I was thinking about either it or a second VTF15, but the XV30f has me interested, partly because of the smaller footprint.

XV30f_front_angle_onoff_1024x1024.png

The XV30f is a front firing version of the largest subwoofer in the Power X line. Don't let the little "f" fool you. Standing at almost four feet tall, the XV30f will produce the same levels of intense bass as the XV30, but with a much smaller foot print. The same huge 6” Precision PortTM, two proprietary 15” drivers and an enclosure the size of a small refridgerator, the XV30f's performance is equal to the XV30. Look no further if you want the biggest, baddest Power X subwoofer.
Features

Proprietary, USA assembled, 15" high excursion drivers
Patented digital hybrid PS BASH® 750W amplifier with DSP control
American made, highly durable, black textured finished cabinet
21Hz-200Hz +/-3dB (16Hz-18Hz typical in-room extension)

CEA-2010 Ratings (2m ground plane)

Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 111.9dB
Low bass (40-63Hz): 119.1dB

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv30f
If I get the second VTF15 Ill prob pay Chad B for his audio cal next time he is in town.

I picked up my Sunfire HRS12's for under $800 each. Awesome subs.

S~
I've enjoyed my little Sunfire subwoofer over the years. It fills in the deep bass that my Polks don't quite reach, plus those explosions really sound (and feel) pretty awesome watching Blu-ray movies.

Thats still where Im leaning. I mean the VTF15 has great output, but Im dealing with like 8000cuft, if you count the dining room and kitchen that one side of the living room open into... I kinda think a second sub in another spot would be the better move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)