Router interference.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spacenerd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Wapakoneta, Ohio
I just installed a new router this weekend. Now it interferes with 2 channels, 8.1 and 8.2. Pixelation and image freezing but still hear audio. Once I unplug the router the problem stops. I am using my OTA antenna thru my Dish Hopper.
Any Suggestions?
John

I'd return the new router as something isn't right with it if it is interfering with your OTA reception. Wi-fi capable routers are only supposed to be putting out either 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio frequencies. WLIO is broadcasting around 183MHz that is well away from those ranges.

This really belongs in the DISH support forum rather than the Free-To-Air forum.

WLIO is RF8, (is that the station you are asking about based on your location?) which is high VHF, and very susceptible to electrical interference. Replace the power brick on the ASUS router, and it'll likely fix the problem. Maybe even just moving the power brick to a different power outlet might work, MAYBE.

I had the same problem with my local VHF station a few years back, with a Dell laptop power brick

I just installed a new router this weekend. Now it interferes with 2 channels, 8.1 and 8.2. Pixelation and image freezing but still hear audio. Once I unplug the router the problem stops. I am using my OTA antenna thru my Dish Hopper.
Any Suggestions?
John
[/QUO
Any Suggestions?
John
Indoor antenna?

Reactions: KE4EST
My antenna system where I had the problem at our previous house was outside, and 40ft up on a pole. My Dell laptop power brick inside the house, still affected/jammed my VHF channel. Once I replaced it with a new Dell power brick I bought from Ebay, the problem went away.

Just replace the power brick on your router with a better one that's filtered. The problem will go away. You might have to try a few different ones, before finding one that's not emitting RF.

Alternatively, you MIGHT be able to shield the power brick by putting it inside a metal box, and grounding the cover to a house ground. That is, IF it isn't actually also broadcasting the RF through the electrical system.

I've found that installing multiple routers too close to my devices will create interference and wipe out wifi in some instances.
Asus routers pack an oomph. I'm using an Asus Merlin RT-AC68P. I've had to crank down the tx power where it was too close to my HT system. Too much signal is just as bad as not enough.

My family visited me for Christmas for a week and my tv volume was fluctuating and I thought my tv was going bad. He worked over the internet some and sat on the couch about 5 ft. from the tv. After he went home My tv has worked perfect. I think my tv problems came from the lap top.

Yeah, my Asus--fortunately?--only interferes with my PC speakers, but is the only router to do so. As Arlo stated, Asus does pack quite a punch in RF, but I LIKE that as this router has solved all previous problems with past routers as far as speed and distance. I had no idea this can also mess with broadcast channels. I learn someting new everyday.

Was it a few years ago that Hair microwaves--from China, of course--that failed to meet FCC requirements to prevent interference in the home were, nevertheless, approved and allowed to entry into the U.S. for sale to consumer purchase. What is the point of the FCC requirements to prevent interference if favored "countries or brands or connected people" are allowed to go on sale here in the USA, anyway? In today's era, I don't really find it excusable that the poster had the problem he did. Of course, the wall warts for devices are CHEAP to begin with and one can expect even a NEW one of those power bricks to perfrom outside of its required constraints--perhaps, even the very moment you plug it in! On the other hand, replacing a bad power brick is a lot cheaper than replaceing an internal power supply if the problem is the power supply.

Just because. Have you tried moving the router away from your TV? It will work w/o the WAN connection. Maybe plug it into an extension cord and move around. Wifi radio interference close to the TV may go away once you move the router some distance away. A good start.

Also. I haven't run the stock firmware since my Asus was a day or so old. Asus Merlin gives the factory GUI appearance and gives you some nice bells an whistles.
How about determining if it's 2.4 or 5 GHz interference? It's pretty easy to turn off one, the other, or both radios in the settings.
Not sure of stock firmware but power levels should be easy to adjust too.

I tried to duplicate your situation last night here on those channels. My coax is pretty good stuff going into my TV. I couldn't get interference and my router is about 3 feet away from it. Tried moving it closer and still really didn't see or hear anything bad at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)