Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm on the phone with Directv right now. Of course the first level of operators have no clue about this...I've just been escalated to upper mgt. I read them the press release and then they became exasperated and asked me to hold.

This should be interesting...

Well, they came back on the phone and asked me for the website that I was reading the press release from. Then they said that they have nothing in their system at this time to honor the new deal. I told them I just wanted to get my order in early, she said to stay tuned and to check their website for availability...

charper1 said:
Why does everyone keep seeking 100% confirmed details on something that still has NO CONFIRMED DETAILS? Just be patient. Just as soon as you get a "maybe" or "rumor" answer to your question, and that isn't what happens, you will be right back here posting 1000 times in 100 separate threads how you were deceived and screwed. Just have some patience until the true details are announced.

Sounds like you buddy Bush with Iraq

Sky Report takes the SatGuys rumor and reports it as fact - now SatGuys can take the Sky Report "facts" and remove the "Rumor" label.

Maybe next time you can eliminate the middle man and just report all rumors as facts and we'll just keep in mind that some facts are less factual than others. ;)

Joe Mammy said:
I'm on the phone with Directv right now. Of course the first level of operators have no clue about this...I've just been escalated to upper mgt. I read them the press release and then they became exasperated and asked me to hold.

This should be interesting...

Well, they came back on the phone and asked me for the website that I was reading the press release from. Then they said that they have nothing in their system at this time to honor the new deal. I told them I just wanted to get my order in early, she said to stay tuned and to check their website for availability...

Since you are new. DirecTV CSR's are the last to know about this type of stuff. Don't bother calling them to order until you read soemthing here that the new boxes and 2 year agreement is available.

I think its great. Just wait until official word hits. There will be plenty of threads created with plenty of people going spastic no matter what the news is.

That day is going to be awesome. I already have my popcorn ready.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

pradike said:
Hey "Mr. Positive" - based on your eating habits to date - we'll make sure and come and see you on visitation days. :D
The point was there is no such thing as a "free" lunch.

Sounds great and all but did I miss something, yea the hardware sounds nice but whats the point in having all this HD equipment with no HD to watch..I signed up ofr D* after voom and got all the channels for free for 3 months. Feels like I dont have any HD...

Okay, I'll bite

sltmag said:
I think it may be entirely possible that current HD customers will have to make a commitment to one or two year programming for a free equipment swap. If this is to take effect on August first, I would expect the MPEG4 rollout to begin shortly around there as well. With the delay of Spaceway 2, I almost wonder if they will start the upgrade in the areas that Spaceway 1 was supposed to cover. The will start rolling soon.
I have wondered why they have not done this yet myself, it sounds like the logical course of action! We all know they need the bandwidth for the NFL ST ... now that I re-up'ed for that I actually care.

vurbano said:
Me too. And my Hdtivo.
D* will not roll out the pity party for us. Most of us even at $1,000 ended up with the boxes for around $600, heck i read at TCF yesterday a guy scored one for $1.17 and he really did!
LonghornXP said:
You may not have to trade-in your box if you agree to a two year commitment. Now as far as pictures go I have no idea when that will occur. My guess is soon and I also would guess (hint hint) that a user manual in PDF form will be arriving on directv.com sooner than you would think.
They can have my box when they pry it from my cold dead fingers ... I'll be looking for a free MPEG4, HDTV, 100 HDTV Hour unit with NO commitment ... or an HMC. Given my bargaining past, I am sure I'll get it too. The way I see it I should at least profit the 250GB Hard Disk from the unit and get a replacement. But who am I?

vurbano said:
Lunch is free with a 2 year jail term.
vurbano said:
The point was there is no such thing as a "free" lunch.
You really are the eternal pessimist aren't you. Oh and I had lunch for free on Thursday and today from Rasin' Cain's Chicken Fingers ... they were quite delicious, especially with the price! There is always EchoVoOm for $495.

This has been an enjoying thread to watch. I hope the user manuals do arrive on DirecTV website soon. This alone will keep my engineering mind happy for awhile as a comb it for information. With only a non-DVR HD STB right now, I am hopefully a HD DVR box is a possible replacement at a low cost. With two little kids at home is difficult to get to shows when they start. When Bambi was on ABC a couple weeks ago, my poor son wondered where Bambi was during the 10 minutes of commercials after only 8 mintues of movie. I did not think my family needed a DVR with as little of TV as we watch, but the larger and older my family gets it is coming more apparent. DirecTV is really my only option and am hopeful they will get HD going in the right direction this summer.

Don't worry, you may be only moderately interested in a DVR, but D* will soon be very motivated to get you one. You'll have no problem getting a decent deal.

slacker9876 said:
You really are the eternal pessimist aren't you. Oh and I had lunch for free on Thursday and today from Rasin' Cain's Chicken Fingers ... they were quite delicious, especially with the price! There is always EchoVoOm for $495.

Actually I remain hopeful yet realistic and guarded knowing D* past history with PQ, not eternally pessimistic. The no free lunch saying is about the oldest one I can think of. Frankly it was a joke. I wont consider EchoVoom unless they can do it all with one dish. I think the requirement of a 2 yr commitment inorder for existing HDtivo customers to upgrade would be a jail term if D* doesnt end HDlite. When the time comes that D* moves to mpeg4 the mpeg2 HDtivo will have no value for HD and no real resale value. Same for HD receivers. Existing Hdtivo customers may be forced to sign up for the new 2 year deal so as not to flush the $700 dollars they spent down the toilet. Then if HDlite continues they could get screwed IMO depending on the cancellation terms of the new agreement. D* is making their HD equipment obsolete and many people have 5 year warranties on them which will still be in effect. D* should have to keep HD service available for that equipment for that 5 year period IMO or upgrade it for free. IMO the same logic applies as that in effect for the Voom reciever refunds being issued and argued many times by Madpoet. A 2 year commitment is NOT a FREE upgrade. Its really playing fast and loose with the word FREE IMO.

I have not seen this question ask yet , Is there going to be an extra charge for the DVR service through these boxs like there is with the tivo's ?

LOBO2999 said:
I have not seen this question ask yet , Is there going to be an extra charge for the DVR service through these boxs like there is with the tivo's ?

Not an "extra" charge, I don't think. But D* has even been quoted talking about when LIL will be included in the Total Choice package (prices) so it will be there, somewhere.

vurbano said:
Actually I remain hopeful yet realistic and guarded knowing D* past history with PQ, not eternally pessimistic. The no free lunch saying is about the oldest one I can think of. Frankly it was a joke. I wont consider EchoVoom unless they can do it all with one dish. I think the requirement of a 2 yr commitment inorder for existing HDtivo customers to upgrade would be a jail term if D* doesnt end HDlite. When the time comes that D* moves to mpeg4 the mpeg2 HDtivo will have no value for HD and no real resale value. Same for HD receivers. Existing Hdtivo customers may be forced to sign up for the new 2 year deal so as not to flush the $700 dollars they spent down the toilet. Then if HDlite continues they could get screwed IMO depending on the cancellation terms of the new agreement. D* is making their HD equipment obsolete and many people have 5 year warranties on them which will still be in effect. D* should have to keep HD service available for that equipment for that 5 year period IMO or upgrade it for free. IMO the same logic applies as that in effect for the Voom reciever refunds being issued and argued many times by Madpoet. A 2 year commitment is NOT a FREE upgrade. Its really playing fast and loose with the word FREE IMO.
Well it is nice to see something beyond a one liner ;) You are correct in your assesment but I think those of us (you too) that have the HD TiVo have been long term D* customers and did not sign with them just because of the HR10-250. I could not locate the thread but there is a huge chunk of change out there in D*'s budget for both the swap out's and customer retention in 2006. I'll bet you that close to 20% of the 1 billion they just secured is in the hopper for that.

Didn't mean to go after you there, I just prefer to be on the wait and see side of the fence, you may choose whatever side you like. My free lunch was good, but only had a retail value of 6.95 ... like you, when D* proposes our two year marriage, I'll be wanting the best of that deal AND my 250GB hard disk, of course without the HD lite. If there is not full HD and 35 (50, if Voom is rolled in) national channels of it when they come knocking ... I may not get up off the couch.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup it is great to see the media picking up now on news we broke on Friday. :)

Once again we did it again, and some folks try saying SatelliteGuys is not a real media site. :D

The honest truth is we break news first because we try harder. :D

This is actually the ONLY site I check for satellite news :D.

Rumors

Well, the rumors have been flying around and d* has taken notice. I didn't see anything about prices in the notice so I thought I'd call them. Apparently they have seen the article because they acknowledged there is an article about this. The official word from d* word for word " There has been an article based on rumors from satelliteguys.us that is absolutely false regarding free advanced products. The new 2 year commitment is being put in place, however this does not affect equipment prices. " . This being from 2 supervisors and 1 manager who all seemed knowledgable about the issue.

dbs_sub_95 said:
Well, the rumors have been flying around and d* has taken notice. I didn't see anything about prices in the notice so I thought I'd call them. Apparently they have seen the article because they acknowledged there is an article about this. The official word from d* word for word " There has been an article based on rumors from satelliteguys.us that is absolutely false regarding free advanced products. The new 2 year commitment is being put in place, however this does not affect equipment prices. " . This being from 2 supervisors and 1 manager who all seemed knowledgable about the issue.

And do you think supervisors and managers are made aware of changes. All I can say is that you will see in time that all three of these people would be wrong. If the price wouldn't change they sure as hell wouldn't start requring a two year agreement. Do you have any idea how much trouble they have making a customer who just spent 600+ agree to another year of service. Trust me in that not all of us sit here and agree to the year. They will have the biggest backlash they have ever seen.

Now either way I do have direct and indirect knowledge that prices would be either free or very low cost. Those three might have said they wouldn't be free but they won't in any way be close to current prices. Just think along with lines of less than 100 bucks for an HD DVR with a two year agreement. From from what I hear is that you will get a bigger discount depending on which package you agree with.

Now this is rumor that I'm going to say below but it should be like this.

If you agree to two years of any total choice package with locals you would get xx amont in discounts to lower your upfront onetime cost.

Total Choice Plus with locas would give a bigger upfront discount.

Total choice Premier with locals would get you the biggest discount.

The HD Package would also garner a discount as well.

So to put this simple your discount will be the biggest if you agree to two years of their total choice premier package with locals "AND" the HD Package.

Now you can always get out of this contract by cancelling service and sending them back the hardware. They win this way. Or you could pay whatever pro-rated fees that are set in place which would allow you to cancel and keep the hardware.

Again their high-end customers will get the best deals which a low-end customer won't get as good a deal. This would be no different than customer rentionion offers that are based on what you order.

CORRECTION - On DirecTV Receiver Story
CORRECTION - In SkyREPORT's story Monday, it was reported that DirecTV will offer for free advanced satellite TV receivers to customers who commit to a two-year programming package. While the company will be requiring a two-year commitment for customers who take advanced satellite TV receivers, such as the DirecTV DVR receiver, DirecTV HD receiver or DirecTV HD DVR Receiver, they will not be offered for free to customters. The editorial staff regrets the error.

Notice to Sky Report: That's why it's labeled "rumor" until confirmed. ;)

I'm confused now....it was a rumor, but then news, now rumor again? ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)