Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey our reporters are at Team Summit and I have just been called with some RUMORS from the floor.

Most of the news from the show will come tommorow morning... Today is basically a day for retailers to fly in and get registered.

(Again please consider these RUMORS until you hear that they have been officially announced. Remember you heard these things here FIRST at SatelliteGuys.US)

As you may have heard Dish Network has been running a $19.99 promotion in Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey. Reports are that Dish Network will be expanding this promotion to nationwide for new customers.

Dish Network is expected to make a HUGE HD announcement on Friday Morning. All signs from our reporters who have been nosing around with the Echostar guys is that what we reported in our Pub Members area earlier this week is a go.

Dish Network is seeking to move a Satellite to the 61.5 location, and once they have the go ahead in the sale of Rainbow 1 from the FCC Dish plans to move Rainbow 1 to 110 and use its Spot Beam Technology. Reports to me is that Echostar 4 may be now or soon be moving twards 61.5.

Reports from the floor that Dish Network has a bunch of Transmitting Dishes and may possibly be announcing some new broadband service. SEC Americom is also on site setting these broadband dishes up. Our reporters are going to try getting us photos of these Dish's ASAP.

More as we have it!

Hmm, I guess that answers that. I thought that the Rainbow 1 Spots would only work at 61.5, guess that's not the case.

And the sat that would be moved to 61.5 is Echostar 4 not rainbow ;)

Very cool rumors: big HD announcement already (soon), moving satellites around, new broadband (maybe Ka on AMC-15?)

I was wondering about the "Rainbow 4" also, but thought it couldn't be E* 4--isn't that one just limping now after almost too many failures?

ScottChez said:
So we need to pay to get to the Pub section to hear about this rumor?

Added benefit to being a Pub Member. Scott posts rumors and info not ready for public consumption.;)

ScottChez said:
So we need to pay to get to the Pub section to hear about this rumor?

No, you'll just hear about them first as a Pub member. It's a nice little benefit Scott provides to those who help support the site.

NightRyder

To protect my sources sometimes I can not share information publiclly, so I share them in our private forum. This is also a thank you to those who help chip in to help us keep the lights on. :)

We actually have a lot of things that go on in the Pub Forum, its almost like a special SatelliteGuys advisory councel. :)

If the rumor is true everyone will hear about it tommorow.

So if they move Rainbow-1 to 110 for spotbeam and the new Echo 10 later with spotbeam, could it be that all locals could be on a D500, international move to 121, 119 national SD, 105 national HD, wings and oddball locations for local HD?

I sure do hope they DONT charge a lot extra for what ever the new HD thing is.

Seems like we are getting Nickel and Dimmed to death already with little fees here and there- Opps I unplugged my phone line heres and other fee for ya . . . . . :)

bcope9 said:
So if they move Rainbow-1 to 110 for spotbeam and the new Echo 10 later with spotbeam, could it be that all locals could be on a D500, international move to 121, 119 national SD, 105 national HD, wings and oddball locations for local HD?
ranbow-1 has "HD" spot beams E10 has "SD" spotbeams

I may be wrong but a spotbeam is a spotbeam. I don't think there is such a thing as a HD Spotbeam, its just a Spotbeam Transponder.

juan said:
ranbow-1 has "HD" spot beams E10 has "SD" spotbeams

Uhhh...sorry juan. A spot beam is a spot beam, there is no such thing as an HD or SD spot beam (or transponder).

NightRyder

Yup, a spotbeam is a spotbeam.

Just like an antenna is an antenna

A satellite is a satellite

I have been looking forward to their broadband satellite for a while now. A few years back they told retailers that it would be under $40 a month and free hardware but we will see if their plans have changed since then. I would jump on that.

Two questions:

1. If they start stacking several satellites at each location, can a single dish pointed at that location, say 110, receive all satelllites stationed at that location?

2. If they offered a broadband service, and you got a transmitter dish, would it be able to receive TV content, or would it be for broadband only. If the transfer rates were decent and the latency livable, I would definately be interested in giving it a try to finally cut the cord from my local phone/cable company. (especially if the $$$ figures that Stargazer mentioned came true :yes ) Any guesses what kind of transfer rates (and reliability) could be achieved?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)