Status
Please reply by conversation.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
I posted a similar thread in the Dish area, but I want to know DIrectv's rules here as I want to see the easiest as far as rules go because my dad has 0 patience with stuff like this :) I need to know what are directvs RV rules and can they be cleared to recieve Distant (NY?) locals wherever they go when they are in their RV? they will be doing alot of traveling and locals are important to them any help is apperciated, thanks!

James

DNS are Atlanta and LA I believe. They have a wavier you send in with your registration for the RV. I never took the time to do it with DirecTV because we are usually in the spot beam for our florida locals and we rarely watch the networks to begin with.

DNS are Atlanta and LA I believe. They have a wavier you send in with your registration for the RV. I never took the time to do it with DirecTV because we are usually in the spot beam for our florida locals and we rarely watch the networks to begin with.

are they pretty easy to deal with? also they will be all over the country so spotbeams will be tough...now another question, if we switch to directv, is this somethign we can add to our account and it will work for that box only? as I want to make sure all of our "home" boxes get Ohio Locals, and the RV box get distant locals...or with Directv do youhave to start up another account (as one of the 5 csr's from Dish told me we would have to do).

are they pretty easy to deal with? also they will be all over the country so spotbeams will be tough...now another question, if we switch to directv, is this somethign we can add to our account and it will work for that box only? as I want to make sure all of our "home" boxes get Ohio Locals, and the RV box get distant locals...or with Directv do youhave to start up another account (as one of the 5 csr's from Dish told me we would have to do).

The following is on the D* website (note the bold text):

RVs are not eligible to receive local channels, but we offer our mobile customers Distant Network Services (DNS) programming of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC network feeds from New York and Los Angeles (8 channels) for $11.99 per month. One PBS and one CW feed may also be available depending upon your location, for an additional $1.99 per month per network.

Only residential accounts are available for DNS, but some mobile accounts might be eligible. According to federal regulations, we may offer DNS without screening for address eligibility only to certain types of recreational vehicles and commercial trucks. Boats and other marine vessels do not qualify for this special consideration. For definitions of eligible vehicles, please see the FCC website (item No. 18 of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act of 1999 fact sheet).

If your permanent residence account lists more than one receiver and one of these is located in your vehicle, you will no longer be able to "mirror" the services on the additional receiver in your vehicle. We will need to charge you the full monthly programming package price for this additional receiver, instead of the $4.99 a month programming mirroring fee you may be paying currently.

Before we can add DNS to your service, federal law requires that you send us the following information:

* Photocopy of your vehicle registration.
* This Mobile Vehicle Affidavit Declaration of Intent form (please print and complete).
* Photocopy of commercial driver's license (if you're requesting service for a commercial vehicle such as a tractor trailer).

Please send to:
DIRECTV
Attn: Mobile Network Services
P.O. Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155

After we receive your paperwork, we will need 11 to 14 days to verify that the information is complete and to activate your DNS programming. It is important for you to know that your dish must be pointed to the satellite located at 101 degrees West longitude at the time we activate these services or your system will not be able to receive the signals.

If you are not receiving DNS programming after 14 days, first check to make sure your dish is pointed to the correct position and then call us to request activation. We look forward to receiving your information and bringing you broadcast network services.

The following is on the D* website (note the bold text):

RVs are not eligible to receive local channels, but we offer our mobile customers Distant Network Services (DNS) programming of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC network feeds from New York and Los Angeles (8 channels) for $11.99 per month. One PBS and one CW feed may also be available depending upon your location, for an additional $1.99 per month per network.

Only residential accounts are available for DNS, but some mobile accounts might be eligible. According to federal regulations, we may offer DNS without screening for address eligibility only to certain types of recreational vehicles and commercial trucks. Boats and other marine vessels do not qualify for this special consideration. For definitions of eligible vehicles, please see the FCC website (item No. 18 of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act of 1999 fact sheet).

If your permanent residence account lists more than one receiver and one of these is located in your vehicle, you will no longer be able to "mirror" the services on the additional receiver in your vehicle. We will need to charge you the full monthly programming package price for this additional receiver, instead of the $4.99 a month programming mirroring fee you may be paying currently.

Before we can add DNS to your service, federal law requires that you send us the following information:

* Photocopy of your vehicle registration.
* This Mobile Vehicle Affidavit Declaration of Intent form (please print and complete).
* Photocopy of commercial driver's license (if you're requesting service for a commercial vehicle such as a tractor trailer).

Please send to:
DIRECTV
Attn: Mobile Network Services
P.O. Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155

After we receive your paperwork, we will need 11 to 14 days to verify that the information is complete and to activate your DNS programming. It is important for you to know that your dish must be pointed to the satellite located at 101 degrees West longitude at the time we activate these services or your system will not be able to receive the signals.

If you are not receiving DNS programming after 14 days, first check to make sure your dish is pointed to the correct position and then call us to request activation. We look forward to receiving your information and bringing you broadcast network services.

Okay so reading that if I understand it correctly (and thanks for finding it I looked, couldnt see it- but alot has been going on right now) if I have more then one reciever (we have 7 tvs in our house right now) then they will need to to open another account up if we go to Directv?

Okay so reading that if I understand it correctly (and thanks for finding it I looked, couldnt see it- but alot has been going on right now) if I have more then one reciever (we have 7 tvs in our house right now) then they will need to to open another account up if we go to Directv?
Basically, yes - if you want to have distant nets in the RV. If you don't need networks, you could just add another receiver and pay the mirror fee, but you're not going to get networks if you're outside your local spotbeam.

okay I found that page, and I find it funny that Directv tells you to take a reciever with you from your house, unless you want locals...then its a full blow account so they can set you up for Distants, meanwhile DIsh says it has to be another account no matter what.

I was curious about this too. I am getting direct tv and NFLST. I will be going camping with some buddies (one of which has an RV) or we might rent a log cabin. I was considering buying an extra dish and mounting it on his RV and taking one of my recievers with us so we can watch some football.

From my understanding, I'd have to get a new account and pay full monthly fees and all that jazz. Is this true? I think someone said we can use one account, but if my wife stays behind, she can not watch TV at home (don't think she would be happy with that lol). Our trip will probably be about 2 weeks (max 3) long and we will definetely be out of the spot beam range. We don't care about local channels, just NFLST, ESPN, NFLNetwork.

What are our options?

DJNeph: It should work, but no locals beyond ~200 miles. Your mileage may vary. Dishes are relatively cheap and easy to set up if you have a clear shot at the SW sky. I hope you guys get a cabin... two weeks in ANY RV (short of Faith Hill's ) would be a long time. I'm not sure if NFLST is on 101 but the rest of the stuff is.

I was curious about this too. I am getting direct tv and NFLST. I will be going camping with some buddies (one of which has an RV) or we might rent a log cabin. I was considering buying an extra dish and mounting it on his RV and taking one of my recievers with us so we can watch some football.

From my understanding, I'd have to get a new account and pay full monthly fees and all that jazz. Is this true? I think someone said we can use one account, but if my wife stays behind, she can not watch TV at home (don't think she would be happy with that lol). Our trip will probably be about 2 weeks (max 3) long and we will definetely be out of the spot beam range. We don't care about local channels, just NFLST, ESPN, NFLNetwork.

What are our options?

As long as locals aren't a concern, you do not need a separate account from a technology standpoint. DISCLAIMER: Some will debate whether this is account stacking, and if you're using a receiver at a cabin, the definition probably fits meaning you're violating D* terms of service. I'm also not sure what orbital location NFLST can be found at - someone else will have to chime in here.

this is from Directv's webpage, this coupled with the savings over dish, we are going to be swtiching to Directv, I will lose my 722 :( but there will be positives I am sure ( I hope!)

Can I take a receiver from my home and put it in my RV?
Yes. You can move a receiver between your home and RV as needed. You can also mirror a receiver to your home account by paying a $4.99/month mirroring fee. Call Customer Care to do this.

Directv > RVs > RVs

A few things for campers, travelers, etc.

Most programming is on 101 - including sunday ticket (SD only). You can buy a basic dish, lnb, tripod, and wire from the D* site for $49 shipped. This is an easy option for tailgating, camping, etc. D* had no problem with you doing this.

Taking a receiver to a cabin and back home is fine, not account stacking.

Putting a receiver in a cabin and having someone live there while you also live in your home is account stacking.

In between those, is the grey area.

A few things for campers, travelers, etc.

Most programming is on 101 - including sunday ticket (SD only). You can buy a basic dish, lnb, tripod, and wire from the D* site for $49 shipped. This is an easy option for tailgating, camping, etc. D* had no problem with you doing this.

Taking a receiver to a cabin and back home is fine, not account stacking.

Putting a receiver in a cabin and having someone live there while you also live in your home is account stacking.

In between those, is the grey area.

Thanks Jason! Sound, knowledgeable input. Where do you stand on a group of guys spending two weeks in an RV?:D

DNS are NY and LA stations. Where did you get Atlanta from?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)