S9 receiver after factory reset no video

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do you have an old CRT (tube) TV around (or Goodwill has them for $10-$15)? The CRT NTSC TVs often don't block out the video with a message/blue screen, but will display a rolling image with 50hz input signals. The vertical hold pot usually could stabilize the image enough for viewing a navigation through the menus. I have even run through the VCR/DVD loop-through or a RV modulator to stabilize.

Speaking of Goodwill, the local thrift shop has PC flat screen monitors with types of AV for $10.

Google shows many sites with Openbox S9 Firmware update via RS-232 instructions. I have recovered ALI chipsets many, many, many times, but would need to pull out the old gear to document the process as I just know the procedure... Sorry, I am not much help... :(

Reactions: electronmini
Here's a somewhat silly suggestion,check ebay for a fully functioning S9 just like the one you have.If you can get one cheap enough then you can experiment with the front panel buttons to find the sequence you need to get to the setting you need to change.Once you're sure you have the right sequence,try it on the "broken"one.If it works,great,if not, at least you'll have a box you are familiar with to watch tv.

Do you have an old CRT (tube) TV around (or Goodwill has them for $10-$15)? The CRT NTSC TVs often don't block out the video with a message/blue screen, but will display a rolling image with 50hz input signals. The vertical hold pot usually could stabilize the image enough for viewing a navigation through the menus. I have even run through the VCR/DVD loop-through or a RV modulator to stabilize.

Speaking of Goodwill, the local thrift shop has PC flat screen monitors with types of AV for $10.

Google shows many sites with Openbox S9 Firmware update via RS-232 instructions. I have recovered ALI chipsets many, many, many times, but would need to pull out the old gear to document the process as I just know the procedure... Sorry, I am not much help... :(

Titanium: Thanks, l just got the firmware reloaded and got back the control on the front buttons so I can mimic the other set a friend lent me and should be able to get it back. But so far even l do the correct keying in the front pannel l cannot get the video. Is funny because the native/default video format as per the maNuala is 480i which is what my other borrowed working set is set to and the TV plays it perfectly.
I need to change the infrared chip/Led since the remote still cannot be detected by the S9
So I will swap IRoad led tomorrow.
So it is not that the TV came not play the S9, is that the S9 is putting out something weird or out of the ordinary.

Hello. I haven't posted before as I can remember but have been on often reading. Below is the order to reset the format as the V-Format button does not work. I have a S-10 that has lost it's HDMI output but works well on the RCA output.

I also have a couple of S-9's that I may sell if you are interested. I live in Ont CA so the shipping should be reasonable.

I had to change the front panel on one after it was a year old for a similar reason. Now it works great.

Best. Tom

Openbox S-9 FTA Receiver

Recovering out of PAL Mode when using HDMI, 1080i_60 Hi Res and YUV Video

Accidently pressing the V. FORMAT button may force you into PAL 50 hz mode w/ BLACK screen, only.

BLIND Procedure to regain normal video using remote, and aimed carefully at the receiver:

Turn off rear pwr switch, then press pwr on to re-boot; allow ~20 sec for full boot (norm 17-18 sec)

On Remote, carefully press only the following keys in exact order

Press MENU [stops at Edit Ch.]

Press DN arrow 2x [stops at Sys Setup]

Press OK [stops at Language step]

Press DN arrow 1x [Enter TV Sys mode]

Press OK [Enter Video Res mode]

Press RIGHT arrow and pause (up to 8x) for 1080i_60 (or 720p_60); see the on screen video menu

Press EXIT 3x to view normal channel hi-res video

Here's a somewhat silly suggestion,check ebay for a fully functioning S9 just like the one you have.If you can get one cheap enough then you can experiment with the front panel buttons to find the sequence you need to get to the setting you need to change.Once you're sure you have the right sequence,try it on the "broken"one.If it works,great,if not, at least you'll have a box you are familiar with to watch tv.
I just have another S9 openbox here with me that a good friend lent it to me last weekend. I now updated the firmware and have the ability again to move (I think!) Via the front panel buttons. But I still get no picture and it is not the TV. Some how I still need to fix the problem that my s9 does not responded to the remote control. The one I borrowed does. So it is not the remote control, it is my S9

Hello. I haven't posted before as I can remember but have been on often reading. Below is the order to reset the format as the V-Format button does not work. I have a S-10 that has lost it's HDMI output but works well on the RCA output.

I also have a couple of S-9's that I may sell if you are interested. I live in Ont CA so the shipping should be reasonable.

I had to change the front panel on one after it was a year old for a similar reason. Now it works great.

Best. Tom

Openbox S-9 FTA Receiver

Accidently pressing the V. FORMAT button may force you into PAL 50 hz mode w/ BLACK screen, only.

BLIND Procedure to regain normal video using remote, and aimed carefully at the receiver:

Turn off rear pwr switch, then press pwr on to re-boot; allow ~20 sec for full boot (norm 17-18 sec)

Press RIGHT arrow and pause (up to 8x) for 1080i_60 (or 720p_60); see the on screen video menu

Best. Tom

Openbox S-9 FTA Receiver

Tom: Thanks a lot, it is exactly the same sequence that I was given a while ago by another member using the S9 front panel instead of the IRR'S remote control. I also have an exact model S9 openbox from a friend for a few day to try and when I use use this key sequence on the sick S9 openbox does not seem to change the video format, while in the good working openbox it does.
The story is long but in my sick S9 the infra red (IR) remote control work for about a year and quit working. This was 4 years ago. I kept using the set as it was because I could chane channels and access the menu perfectly using fron panel buttons. This how about a week ago I wrongly decided to do through the menu do a "factory restore". Then the set rebooted but "NoCH" oN the S9 digital display and the that was still connected to the S9 said "Format Not Supported". At the same time front buttons did not produce any effect on the S9 and the IR remote control continues as in the last 4 years to have no effect on the S9.
I reloaded the firmaware and rebooted OK with front buttons control working again, but remote control does not have any effect on the S9.

Now I measured power supply voltages and all are OK, post this a while back on this post.

So I want to replace the Infra Red sensor but I am trying to see how to get exactly the same since even the pin assignments seems to vary among different sensors.
.This one has the markings (YMS) right on the top,so I am trying to figure out what sensor do l need and where to get it.
Right now the set reboots with the following on its 5 digital display panel:

oN
boot
St4t

I can use the front panel buttons it seems the input is accepted not no video (format not supported) and no results with the correct key sequence to change video format with the menu without being able to see the menu, just doing the key input. I cutter the 3 legs of the IR chip and here is a picture
Ideas or suggestions are welcome. I already bought a new STB and should be here soon, but with some input of this forum I want to give it my best before l give up on it.
Thanks for your time.
Wilson

Yes, like @titaniium said you will need the ali editor if you want to try and flash it via serial.
You know I also agree with Brian. If you are getting noCH on the front, then if you could just find a TV/Monitor that could display 50Hz you would be in business.
Even if you flash it via RS-232, you may be in the same boat if the firmware you use is default to use 50Hz. :(
If you lived in the US would be glad to get it going for you. Since you are in Canada though, shipping and fees could get high. :(
Michael, I like your idea of now after the firmware update to use the editor, but I have no idea of how to use it (I think I have it) other what to do with it.

Any leads to some info on the gist/use of this editor?
Thanks a lot, your initial key sequence to do "blind" moves on the S9 was perfect, it it just that something else is needed after the software upgrade and I need to find a new chip for the IR ED remote control in the receiver. Just located a chip TSOP38238 that the picture is adentical to the one in my S9.
Now searching for a vendor.
Thanks a lot for your time/suggestions. You seem to be right on the ball all the times.

Just got this picture, does anyone can confirm if the proper IR chip for tge S9 openbox?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170826-080957.png
    Screenshot_20170826-080957.png
    35 KB · Views: 102
Hi, I just did a factory reset on the Openbox S9 I have been using for PBS in 125 W and right after that came with "Nocha" and my TV said: "Video Not supported". I is the same TV I have been using with the S9 for 6 years.

Everything was working fine and was a stupid move probably due to my age. I was getting all PBS channels.

Also I have been using it for 3 or 4 years without the remote because stopped working and the problem is not the remote bu the S9 Box.

I tried to hook it to other TV's but says the same thing: "Video not supported"

I read Iceberg post on have to go to the satellite list and choose satellite. That worked for someone else, but I cannot see the menu.
Is there any way I can get to " see" what is going on and do that? Or may I need to reload software? But how can I load the software id I cannot see the menu?
My TV is a Emerson Digital and has only a DMI input and attached are pics of the rear panels.
If I need new software, I could not find it in this site, please help.

Please help with some suggestions,
Thanks in advance

As of today, and after upgrading the firmware and using still only the fron buttons on the S9 because I cannot get any video and the remote control section of the S9 is not working; I am using the Editor to upload the contents of my friend's S9 openbox and when I do it I only get a abs file, which is identical to the one I re-installed. (same number of bytes).
Is there any guidelines on how to use it?
Because I can see that there are options for different types of files like udf etc, but I cannot find how to upload the channels and all possible data from the good working box do I can download it on my sick box.
Any guidance, pointers of suggestions very welcome, I can see that my logic does not pickup on the usage of this editor.

What is the difference between: Download (Pc to STB) and Download File (PC to STB)
s9 eDITOR.jpg

Thanks

Different firmware versions booted to different refresh rates. The default format can be set by the programmer.
That beats me, since I do not know what refresh rates are except of general idea and never heard of those parameters being accessible to users! Or why in earth these are needed in Satellite reception?
But my ignorance is not an excuse, so where do I learn how to change those things, and what they are? I will try Wikipedia but skeptical about this.
Thanks for the tip

The firmware hard coding cannot be changed by the end user, but the user settings can be set using the directions provided. Some editor software programs also allow these user settings to be edited and saved as the default. On some STBs, the user settings can be saved as the default and a firmware back-up file can be saved to USB or extracted with ALI Editor.

The reason that these resolution parameters are need is because the majority of the world power and video refresh rates are 50hz. Here in North America (and a few other countries) the power and video refresh rates are 60hz. Some TV, don't support HDMI handshake, so the default refresh rate is typically set to the frequency used in the country of distribution.

Usually .abs files are the firmware and might also contain the satellite/tp/channel lists. .udf (User Database File) are typically the user files and are wiped out if a factory reset is performed.

It is possible that the HDMI output has failed. This is a common problem with Openbox STBs. Does the AV RCA outputs provide any image? BTW... the "video not supported" message is generated by the TV and not the STB. Is the same message displayed if the HDMI cable is unplugged? Same message if the AV RCA cables are connected to the TV?

Michael, I like your idea of now after the firmware update to use the editor, but I have no idea of how to use it (I think I have it) other what to do with it.

Any leads to some info on the gist/use of this editor?
Thanks a lot, your initial key sequence to do "blind" moves on the S9 was perfect, it it just that something else is needed after the software upgrade and I need to find a new chip for the IR ED remote control in the receiver. Just located a chip TSOP38238 that the picture is adentical to the one in my S9.
Now searching for a vendor.
Thanks a lot for your time/suggestions. You seem to be right on the ball all the times.

The firmware hard coding cannot be changed by the end user, but the user settings can be set using the directions provided. Some editor software programs also allow these user settings to be edited and saved as the default. On some STBs, the user settings can be saved as the default and a firmware back-up file can be saved to USB or extracted with ALI Editor.

The reason that these resolution parameters are need is because the majority of the world power and video refresh rates are 50hz. Here in North America (and a few other countries) the power and video refresh rates are 60hz. Some TV, don't support HDMI handshake, so the default refresh rate is typically set to the frequency used in the country of distribution.

Usually .abs files are the firmware and might also contain the satellite/tp/channel lists. .udf (User Database File) are typically the user files and are wiped out if a factory reset is performed.

It is possible that the HDMI output has failed. This is a common problem with Openbox STBs. Does the AV RCA outputs provide any image? BTW... the "video not supported" message is generated by the TV and not the STB. Is the same message displayed if the HDMI cable is unplugged? Same message if the AV RCA cables are connected to the TV?

Well, after uploading the .abs file from the S9 openbox borrowed from my friend, I downloaded it in my s9 openbox that is not giving me picture. No real improvement. I can navigate the menu (hopefully because I have no picture on the TV ) and do not have any idea if the channels or other working S9 is doing any good.
Thanks for the explanation on refreshing rates also.

Maybe the HDMI in my open box has failed, but was working well just before I did the factory reset.
Again, the S9 manual says that the default for video format (they call it native) is 480i as I proved by using my frind's S9 box, so why should I not see a picture of the menu?

Did you try a different HDMI cable, just to be sure the cable didn't crap out?
Yes, I have two HDMI cables and both work well with a borrowed good receiver.

I just re-read a reply from Tom and maybe the secret in waiting more than 17 seconds once I am moving the menu with front control buttons.
Thanks for your suggestion. There is always something we under estimate or take for granted or in my case I am big time in "assume".

Reactions: . Raine
There were many versions of firmware floating around for the S9. It most likely has a different version of firmware that is not set for 480i default.
KE4ST:
That could be the case but if you look at the files sizes of the 3 versions I was given, all are 4,096 or something like that. Any recoding would be a very casual coincidence that ended up like that. But certainly Possible!
Thanks, now l will try again blind Manu navigation with emphasis on waiting 1/2 minute or more in the last step to give the TV receiver more time to adjust.
Thanks

Best. Tom

Openbox S-9 FTA Receiver

Ptom: I am sending you a pm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)