Saints violate NFL Bounty rules, paid bonuses to injure players

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tanya Harding/Nancy Carrington comes to mind as well.
I know it is a stretch to compare the two as far as physicality and likeliness of injuries as a result of participation, but if intent can be proven, I can see how assault charges would be filed, or at least could be (probably wont).

salsadancer7 said:
Don't the NHL have these issues sometimes when the local authorities get involved when a local player get the crap outta of him by a visiting team/player?

I think the city of Vancouver went after someone for a dirty hit.

Edit... Todd Bertuzzi is getting sued by Steve More. Hope I spelled the names right.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...nst-todd-bertuzzi-has-court-date-set-in-2012/

Here is a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Tanya Harding/Nancy Carrington comes to mind as well.
I know it is a stretch to compare the two as far as physicality and likeliness of injuries as a result of participation, but if intent can be proven, I can see how assault charges would be filed, or at least could be (probably wont).

To be able to compare it to that situation, someone would have to get jumped in the locker room, a clear case of assault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just don't see why people are so upset over this. They get hit in the game and can get hurt during any play. I would hate to think how people would think about football during the '70s when they did try to hurt the other teams player.

I just don't see why people are so upset over this. They get hit in the game and can get hurt during any play. I would hate to think how people would think about football during the '70s when they did try to hurt the other teams player.

i'm not too upset over it but it does give the team doing this an unfair advantage. either we do it for all teams or we don't do it for any. and since it is against the current rules of the CBA then yes its a problem. in other words it qualifies in my eyes as cheating. and i feel its worse than spygate because you can seriously injure someone else. when a player does this there's no limit to how far they are willing to go for the $$$.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think the bigger issue at hand is the Saints' inability to stop the practice after being warned by the league. If the NFL placed such a high emphasis on the bounties, why weren't the Saints punished when they were originally notified by the league a few years ago?? They were given an opportunity to stop, but their inability to do so and now this exposure to the practice is what infuriates the league probably more than the practice itself...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think the bigger issue at hand is the Saints' inability to stop the practice after being warned by the league. If the NFL placed such a high emphasis on the bounties, why weren't the Saints punished when they were originally notified by the league a few years ago?? They were given an opportunity to stop, but their inability to do so and now this exposure to the practice is what infuriates the league probably more than the practice itself...

that is true. this may be the biggest issue of all.

meStevo said:
To be able to compare it to that situation, someone would have to get jumped in the locker room, a clear case of assault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't agree. Assault is assault no matter where it occurs. Main difference I see is the nature of football makes it nearly impossible to prove there was intent to assault versus just playing the game.

This coming out will make people pay closer attention to it and has the possibility to take away from the game in more ways than a simple fine or suspension.

Not good however it plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

rey_1178 said:
i'm not too upset over it but it does give the team doing this an unfair advantage. either we do it for all teams or we don't do it for any. and since it is against the current rules of the CBA then yes its a problem. in other words it qualifies in my eyes as cheating. and i feel its worse than spygate because you can seriously injure someone else. when a player does this there's no limit to how far they are willing to go for the $$$.

Rey don't think this is the only team doing this. I bet all teams are doing this one way or another, they just keep their mouths shut.

I remember when the ravens openly put a bounty on Ward and nothing was done to them, all teams do it.

Rey don't think this is the only team doing this. I bet all teams are doing this one way or another, they just keep their mouths shut.

I remember when the ravens openly put a bounty on Ward and nothing was done to them, all teams do it.

i agree bud. no doubt there are other teams doing it. its like you said before. williams has been doing this for a long time. someone whistled and now things will only get worse as more and more come out and speak about it. especially ex players. probably bringing to light some other team(s) that were or are doing this and making it even a larger issue for the NFL to deal with.

Other teams likely weren't investigated for it before, lied to NFL security to cover it up successfully, then are caught later, had their owner find out who instructed their GM to stop it... which didn't happen... had their coach aware of the program... who also didn't stop it... also with proof payments were offered to injure players, not just for playing well, etc, etc.

This isn't a case of 'well everyone is doing it' at all.

Other teams likely weren't investigated for it before, lied to NFL security to cover it up successfully, then are caught later, had their owner find out who instructed their GM to stop it... which didn't happen... had their coach aware of the program... who also didn't stop it... also with proof payments were offered to injure players, not just for playing well, etc, etc.

This isn't a case of 'well everyone is doing it' at all.

Well... you know the Saints will be nailed.. and more thank likely the Bills... but how about some of the defensive coaches that were on those staffs...that have gone one to be coaches on other team... I wonder how THEY will be affected...this is serious stuff.

Well... you know the Saints will be nailed.. and more thank likely the Bills... but how about some of the defensive coaches that were on those staffs...that have gone one to be coaches on other team... I wonder how THEY will be affected...this is serious stuff.

I think unless they played a significant role, coaches like Dennis Allen won't see punishment.

Well, here's a new wrinkle. Money coming from outside the organization and not from a very good person to fund the bounty pool, and an email to Sean Peyton about it to boot.

Meet The Convicted Felon Who Defrauded The NFL, Made Reggie Bush Ineligible, And Funded The Saints' Bounty Program

Michael Ornstein is the name to know. As first reported by CBS's Mike Freeman, Ornstein—a close friend and confidant of Sean Payton—Ornstein on at least four occasions pledged his own money to the Saints' defense's bounty fund. In 2009, $10,000 toward knocking an opposing quarterback out of the game. In 2011, two separate contributions to targeting the quarterback. And on at least one other occasion, Ornstein pledged his money in an email to Payton, which spelled out the details of the bounty program.

The NFL knows this because it has that email, a highly incriminating paper trail that makes it impossible for Payton to argue his innocence, or for the Saints to claim the bounty never left the locker room. It might be the single most damaging piece of evidence, based solely on Ornstein's history.

Having a bounty system that financially rewards players for taking out the opposition is less offensive than the arrogance Loomis and Payton showed in not putting an end to it after the league first investigated the Saints in early 2010. They weren't scared or swayed by the thought of being exposed doing something that violated NFL rules. They let the pay-for-big-plays system remain.

By doing nothing, Payton and Loomis rubber stamped the program and said it was OK to go out there and try to take out someone, be it Brett Favre or Kurt Warner or whomever, with a vicious, even late, hit.

According to the NFL's report, when Benson directed Loomis earlier this season to ensure that any bounty program be discontinued immediately, Loomis did not follow Benson's directions. "Similarly, when the initial allegations were discussed with Mr. Loomis in 2010," the report continued, "he denied any knowledge of a bounty program and pledged he would ensure that no such program was in place. There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices."

If the NFL's report is true, Loomis defied a direct order from his owner. That is grounds for dismissal.

And Payton was no better.

In its damning release Friday afternoon, the NFL said Payton "was not a direct participant in the funding or administration of the program," but said "he was aware of the allegations, did not make any detailed inquiry or otherwise seek to learn the facts, and failed to stop the bounty program. He never instructed his assistant coaches or players that a bounty program was improper and could not continue."
Saints coach Sean Payton and GM Mickey Loomis deserve to be fired for bounty program - ESPN

This was the original article I was looking for concerning legal ramifications of the bounty system
Breaking down the potential legal fallout of Saints' bounty system
Breaking down the potential legal fallout of New Orleans Saints' bounty system - Michael McCann - SI.com

Here is an article saying that the NFL may fire Gregg Williams.He should be banned for life.
Gregg Williams awaits fate in bounty probe; late March announcement likely
Gregg Williams awaits fate in bounty probe; late March announcement likely - NFL - Sporting News

Charles Barkley & Cedric Maxwell said that they had a bounty system in the NBA
Charles Barkley, Cedric Maxwell: Bounties were part of NBA, too
Charles Barkley, Cedric Maxwell: Bounties were part of NBA, too - NBA - Sporting News

When I think of the Buster Posey injury in light of all of this "bounty talk",it makes you wonder if there is maybe a bounty in the MLB to take out a catcher,second basemen,or any other infielder?

When I think of the Buster Posey injury in light of all of this "bounty talk",it makes you wonder if there is maybe a bounty in the MLB to take out a catcher,second basemen,or any other infielder?
It doesn't make me wonder. How often does an MLB player really get the opportunity to "take out" an infielder??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts