Saints violate NFL Bounty rules, paid bonuses to injure players

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Quite frankly I don't think this is worse than spygate, football players are paid to hit players and most players play to hurt their opponent, so they are paying the players to do something they are already getting paid to do.

You hit people in the game as hard as you can, the coaches are giving them a incentive to do it harder at all times while with spygate the coaches and team cheated.

Now I do think they will get fined and maybe suspended because they broke the rules but imho it's not worse than spygate.

you may see it that way cy but the NFL will probably see it differently. this will look worse in the commissioners eyes because you have a situation here of physically trying to injure others and even taking them out of the game.

Last edited:
Hart5150 said:
The ignorance that comes from the keyboards of Steelers fan amazes me, but I guess it shouldn't.

Really? when Scott is thinking about closing the sports section and you post this, you must not like the sports section.

What really pisses off the league is that the Saints were warned to stop, they promised it would stop, but then allegedly continued anyway. Add to that the cover up attempt to hide it, in Goodell's eyes this probably makes these actions worse than the actual bounties themselves...

Put out a hit to hurt someone in the normal world and see what happens. You would go to jail.
Unless the local prosecutor wants the publicity or gets extreme public pressure (from Saints fans ? Yeah, right...), he/she will state that this is an NFL issue, not a criminal one. In football, you hit people. Should boxers get arrested after bouts for assault ?

Unless the local prosecutor wants the publicity or gets extreme public pressure (from Saints fans ? Yeah, right...), he/she will state that this is an NFL issue, not a criminal one. In football, you hit people. Should boxers get arrested after bouts for assault ?

i agree. this is an NFL issue. while its true that some things that are done on the field would probably get you arrested if done to someone else on the street, it doesn't mean its a criminal issue. fighting is legal in the NHL. try doing the same outside the league. one has nothing to do with the other....

Wonder how this will effect the new job in St. Louis.

I understand that hitting is a part of the game, and injuries do on occasion hitting. It is a physical sport, I am not, and have not disputed that.

Difference is, in a case such as this, they are opening themselves up to a case of "provable intent to cause injury", which could very well be tied to assault charges.

Like I mentioned before, if I pay you to injure Rey, what is the difference in that, and the DC offering to pay a lineman to intentionally injure the QB in a football game?

i agree. this is an NFL issue. while its true that some things that are done on the field would probably get you arrested if done to someone else on the street, it doesn't mean its a criminal issue. fighting is legal in the NHL. try doing the same outside the league. one has nothing to do with the other....

Difference is, money is (now publicly) on the table to intentionally cause the injury versus one that happens during the normal course of a physical game.
Also, I would imagine that if they wanted to, an NHL player "could" (but wouldnt) press charges of assault, even if it is not against NHL rules. They simply dont, which is why it is not an issue. Professional sports rules do not supersede outside laws.

I understand that hitting is a part of the game, and injuries do on occasion hitting. It is a physical sport, I am not, and have not disputed that.

Difference is, in a case such as this, they are opening themselves up to a case of "provable intent to cause injury", which could very well be tied to assault charges.

Like I mentioned before, if I pay you to injure Rey, what is the difference in that, and the DC offering to pay a lineman to intentionally injure the QB in a football game?

problem is that nothing was used as a weapon to assault anyone else. its just players launching themselves at other players with the intent to take out perhaps more violent than usual. no fist fighting, no bats, no hockey sticks or items that are part of football were used as a weapon.

if I pay you to injure Rey, what is the difference in that

i see i need to watch my back now....... :eek:

Difference is, money is (now publicly) on the table to intentionally cause the injury versus one that happens during the normal course of a physical game.
Also, I would imagine that if they wanted to, an NHL player "could" (but wouldnt) press charges of assault, even if it is not against NHL rules. They simply dont, which is why it is not an issue. Professional sports rules do not supersede outside laws.

i hear what you're saying but don't know how or why the law should be involved in any of this.

problem is that nothing was used as a weapon to assault anyone else. its just players launching themselves at other players with the intent to take out perhaps more violent than usual. no fist fighting, no bats, no hockey sticks or items that are part of football were used as a weapon.
You dont have to have a weapon to be charged with assault on the street, I doubt that would be an issue if charges came to play here.

i see i need to watch my back now....... :eek:

no comment......

You dont have to have a weapon to be charged with assault on the street, I doubt that would be an issue if charges came to play here.

no comment......
true but again you are allowed to hit another player in the NFL. you can't hit someone else like that on the street. and when a player violates a rule(s) there's a system in place to punish that player for their actions. outside there's nothing between you and the law.

no comment......

:behindsofa:

true but again you are allowed to hit another player in the NFL. you can't hit someone else like that on the street. and when a player violates a rule(s) there's a system in place to punish that player for their actions. outside there's nothing between you and the law.

:behindsofa:

Yes, you are allowed to hit another player in the NFL, and they give their consent for you to do so by playing in the game.
The difference is the consent (implied by signing the contract to play), not necessarily the rules of the league versus the outside law.

I am not saying this will go to court, but I can see how it very well could.

Yes, you are allowed to hit another player in the NFL, and they give their consent for you to do so by playing in the game.
The difference is the consent (implied by signing the contract to play), not necessarily the rules of the league versus the outside law.

guess we'll see then :- )

msmith198025 said:

The only thing that I can see that might have legal percussions is if they didn't claim the winnings on their taxes.

Don't the NHL have these issues sometimes when the local authorities get involved when a local player get the crap outta of him by a visiting team/player?

Don't the NHL have these issues sometimes when the local authorities get involved when a local player get the crap outta of him by a visiting team/player?

i've seen it when for example the player used a hockey stick to hit the other player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts