Samsung benefits even more off the Iphone X

Ever notice how Apple never runs a commercial about the iPhones ability as a phone? That's because it's average at best. ALL that their commercials emphasize is the camera and then primarily the gimmicks. There used to be a saying back in my hot rod days; "If it don't go, chrome it", meaning if it can't perform make it appear to by prettying it up. That's Apple. My 3 year old LG G3 runs circles around an Apple and at way less than half the cost. And as for the camera; 13mpx, dual LED flash, 4K HDR, laser auto-focus, image stab, voice activation, with a QHD display (1440x2560). Now if folks want to spend $800-1000 just so they can say "I got an Apple!", more power to them. I can find better things to spend the $600 I saved on. :)

Pfft, 1440 x 2560, how lame. Don't you know how inferior that is to the 640 x 1136 'Retina' display, the 750 x 1334 'Retina HD' display and the 1125 x 2436 'Super Retina HD' display found on Apple's state of the art products. Who needs standards, when we can have made up marketing buzzwords like Retina to show how cool, hip and advanced we are. 'Retina' displays so are awesome especially this new 'Super Retina HD', they are so much better and so much more innovative then the 1440 x 2560 phone displays that came out over two years ago. Because you know, two years ago that resolution wasn't ready to be in the hands of individuals, it wasn't ready for prime time. Just like how Apple waited longer then others to include LTE radios in their phones. That technology just wasn't ready to be in the hands of you plebs. Apple had to leave it in the oven a little bit longer to bake because they know what's best for us.

I can't wait for Apple to come out with the 'Super Duper Retina HD' display, three years after 4K screens become standard, and have it at some lower, non standard resolution, because Apple knows what's best for you and it has to bake longer to be perfected, but until that time, no one needs a display like that.

Do they really need to know USB versions? Or do they only need to know one, the Lightning cable for Mac sync or charging?
Now that Apple is coming around to doing things the way the rest of the World does, you betcha. Modern Macbooks now carry USB-C ports and modern iDevices seem destined for at least Qi charging. Being an Apple user has always been about having to adapt to use things (unless you wanted to pay triple the money for Apple's own version). When was the last time you saw a Thunderbolt or Lightning storage drive. No, Apple expects that you'll toe the line and buy a Time Capsule and plug your USB drives into that.

The iDevices are perhaps less of an issue because they aren't practically expandable but that doesn't mean that the users don't almost universally wish that they were.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to do bodily harm to the next person who tells me they have to e-mail a picture to themselves to be able to get it on their computer.

...the next person who tells me they have to e-mail a picture to themselves to be able to get it on their computer.
I have seen that too many times! Then what's funny is the picture is too large and their email server rejects it (though that's becoming less likely).

I have seen that too many times! Then what's funny is the picture is too large and their email server rejects it (though that's becoming less likely).

Pure ignorance! There are a dozen apps for doing that. They all work on the same principle but some are limited as to the files you can transfer. None will transfer files from the operating system. Plus it is bidirectional too. You tag the photos or large video clips in the app and then you go to your web browser on your computer and type in the IP address. All the tagged videos documents and photos will be listed and then you just save them to a folder on your hard drive. You do have to be on the same wifi network as your computer has access to, but the computer can be connected to the network via an ethernet. I'm not even an IT professional and I know that much. :) Or you can buy a thumb drive with a Lightning plug and trasfer the files to drive. Apple sells one of these but it is limited to image files.

When was the last time you saw a Thunderbolt or Lightning storage drive.
This isn't a question? I see one every day I look at my iMac.

As far as Lightning storage, Kensington and Sandisk (and others) make Lightning storage devices that also have USB 3.0 connectors that allow and easier method to move photos and videos from the iPhone/iPad to PC. Granted, it was better when you could plug the iPhone in and treat it as Mass Storage, but too many bad actors in the world meant Apple feels justified in locking down their hardware.

Since I have a Macintosh, all I have many different options for moving a picture or media from my phone to my computer. Copy and paste between devices. But there are many other options, like Google Drive, Amazon Drive, DropBox, etc., etc., etc. Of course, my company makes it difficult by blocking all the file sharing services, so email is the easier option.

Update: I see Don beat me to the punch!

A what ? :D They haven't been called "Macintosh" for many, many years, have they ?
I was a network guy before I got my PowerMac a decade ago, so when I say "Mac" I still think "MAC" (Media Access Control) so I tend to use the "formal" designation.

Back on Topic, will the production delays in the iPhone X cut into Samsung's profits for the last quarter of 2017? Probably not...

Is Linux "ready for the desktop" yet ? I remember when they were spouting that back in '95 .... and I used Linux as my primary OS for almost (10) years. Even after that long, I could confidently say it's not ready yet.

My people like to send them in bunches so if they send more than a couple pictures, they're in trouble with a 10MB limit.

The new still format will be still-born if other platforms and third parties don't support it.

Pure ignorance!
Arguably, the pure stupidity of not allowing you to plug directly into whatever device or computer you want as mass storage is insanity. Having to fire up some third party app to covert and transfer pictures through some remarkably expensive ($19-29) adapter is not the way it should have to be done. Reading the literature suggests that the cable version of the adapter was designed to bring photos and videos in rather than out of the iDevice (what modern camera won't easily swamp the storage on an iDevice). Having to sync with something may make the system more secure but it sure doesn't make it quick or painless.

Reactions: Comptech
This isn't a question? I see one every day I look at my iMac.
Do you carry your iMac around for when you need to clear out some space on your iDevice? I was thinking more along the lines of something one could use to download from a device that was full. I guess that carrying a computer around is Apple's idea of how things must be done.

Most of the Lightning flash drives I've seen are of rather limited capacity and a lot of them are over $1/GB. Even with HEVC, those UHD videos have to be pretty big.

Is Linux "ready for the desktop" yet ?
If you're asking if you can get TurboTax for Linux, no. If you're looking for a daily driver for basic computerly tasks, absolutely.

A lot has changed in 22 years. What hasn't changed is the ability to build up a system the way that you want it as opposed to how some not-so-benevolent megacompany says that you get it.

harshness- It was clear to me years ago when I landed a video contract for a TV series ans was required to edit on FCP. I bought a Macbook and FCP that ran fine but when I tried to offload the weekly TV shows to a simple folder so I could reinstall them later for edit changes, I discovered this was near impossible since the way MAC manages the hidden files cannot be easily grouped to a common folder. For FCP there was no way to back up the project once it was removed from the computer it was started on. Today, I can go back to the 90's and pull up TV show projects for re-editing and all the base files to do that are in a single folder stored on a hard drive. Just last summer I pulled up a show I edited back in 2003 because the old client wanted a copy saved out to a wmv file. Took me about 3 hours to find the hard drive and do the render.

But here's the reality. Most people don't need that kind of computer. They need an appliance that does basic stuff really easy. And, the iMac, ipad, iphone, Apple watch, etc works just fine.

Back OT- I see from my investor reports that Apple continues to diversify it's component sources. While Samsung does benefit from Apple iphone sales they are not the exclusive supplier of the stuff they do supply on everything. Taiwan Semiconductor is another supplier of the chips besides Samsung. Memory is from Sandisk too. While Foxconn is pretty much the key supplier for all things Apple there are others getting into the act especially for the India market. Soon, Foxconn will be building an assembly plane here in the US for iphones and maybe others. Time will tell if that effort is successful. I doubt they will get labor for Juarez rates of $5 a day, however. From what I understand even Foxconn in China has to meet higher pay scales ( Foxconn average pay for line labor is less than $2 per hr while Apple lines pay $3) for stuff made for Apple. The Juarez plants making HP products pays women $5 a day. I find it odd that people love to pick on Apple for the Foxconn labor rates yet the pay for Apple lines is at the high end for the community, while nobody says a word about HP and the Juarez working environment and pay.
The HP story is at the top of my mind as I just bought a cheap monitor for my security cameras and while the monitor is fine, it's packaging assembly was sloppy and just thrown together. Virtually no quality control. I looked and noted the "Assembled in Juarez Mexico." on the box.

Reactions: navychop
They need an appliance that does basic stuff really easy. And, the iMac, ipad, iphone, Apple watch, etc works just fine.
My beef is that Apple dictates how you perform the most basic of operations and that is tiresome and more than occasionally, clumsy or awkward. Where the other guys give you some choices (many, many choices in the Android space), Apple wants it done their way. If someone tries do do it another way, Apple has (and often exercises) the option to not allow the app to be circulated.

I find it odd that people love to pick on Apple for the Foxconn labor rates yet the pay for Apple lines is at the high end for the community, while nobody says a word about HP and the Juarez working environment and pay.
Care to guess what the cost of living/living wage is for Juarez? Foxconn also offers room and board and other amenities if I recall correctly. As I was assured by a Chinese colleague, $21K a year can get you into a really nice car if you don't have much in the way of conventional living expenses.

There are two major expenses in a modern device: the SoC and the display. He who controls those technologies is in the driver's seat.

Do you carry your iMac around for when you need to clear out some space on your iDevice? I was thinking more along the lines of something one could use to download from a device that was full. I guess that carrying a computer around is Apple's idea of how things must be done.
You said "how often do you see a Thunderbolt drive" to which I answered "every day" because one is connected to my iMac.

Lightning drives exist as I pointed out before (but I don't have any personal experience with them). Complete disclosure, I back my iPhone up to my iMac every day instead of Cloud backups. All my photos and videos are saved on the iMac and backed up to a NAS. So I don't know what problem you find tiresome, clumsy, or awkward.

What I find funny about that is Apple's Mail app on iOS gives you four size options when mailing photos.

Lightning drives exist as I pointed out before (but I don't have any personal experience with them). Complete disclosure, I back my iPhone up to my iMac every day instead of Cloud backups. All my photos and videos are saved on the iMac and backed up to a NAS. So I don't know what problem you find tiresome, clumsy, or awkward.
What about your process is easy compared to sending the pictures directly to the NAS and not involving a computer? Modern devices should not require lots of intermediate steps when doing such things as adding to your picture collection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)