Samsung Omnia Verizon

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Update to the rom. The stuff on PPC Geeks is hard to brick phones with. SRSLY.

Ler this one is a tad different, trust me! their was days (until I found the mighty rom :p) where I would flash a couple different roms on my htc's but for some reason, this omnia is finicky to flash.....makes me miss my touch pro.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Does AT&T carry a Samsung model that is equivalent or similar to the Omnia?

I currently have AT&T and do not want to change my current plan. I have an old Pac Bell plan which I pay $30/month for two phones. I already checked with AT&T and they can add any PDA phone for an additional $30 per phone without me having to change my plan. That means I would pay $45/month for one phone, with a plan that most pay over $90/month per phone.

I am looking at something similar to this. I want WM6.1 so I can use my Hava and Sling.

Last edited:

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
update. omnia hd is rumored to be coming in july

and the saga just got its rom upgrade

hopefully the omnia is next

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Well, I was about to do the upgrade, and saw that it would only work with Vista x32, and not x64. Figures. :rolleyes:

I guess I need to install the WinMobile stuff on my old XP machine first. Irritating.

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
Well, I was about to do the upgrade, and saw that it would only work with Vista x32, and not x64. Figures. :rolleyes:

I guess I need to install the WinMobile stuff on my old XP machine first. Irritating.

some guys over at samsung-omnia.org said it worked on x64 vista

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
some guys over at samsung-omnia.org said it worked on x64 vista

I tried. Downloaded the update, backedup my data, and when I ran it it said Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 was not installed (it is), and it aborted. I am guessing it is looking for it in a specific location, i.e., program files, and not in program files (x86), and thus won't run.

Oh well. :)

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Well, I used my 32-bit laptop, and was able to get the pmnia updated; but now the pain of reconstructing my old settings. Even with having everything backed up, I still need to do re-installs. THe gps is now unlocked, but does not appear to be super accurate; oh it knows I am in Normal, IL, but is off by about a 1/4 mile or more.

Not sure this was worth it. Given the hour or so I will need to spend getting it back.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Did I say hour? I should have said two hours. Still underwhelmed. And now stuff like the Samsung Today plugin, which worked perfectly before, doesn't function properly. Irritating.

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
hhhmm, i havnt had any issues

but i dont run samsung today, i have spb mobile shell atm, untill my favorite point ui plugin is fixed to work with thier latest release.

i have issues with the gps when i cant get a good signal, but most of the time i can get at least 4 sats so im within 20 meters. dont forget to go into settings and set gps to on

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
hhhmm, i havnt had any issues

but i dont run samsung today, i have spb mobile shell atm, untill my favorite point ui plugin is fixed to work with thier latest release.

i have issues with the gps when i cant get a good signal, but most of the time i can get at least 4 sats so im within 20 meters. dont forget to go into settings and set gps to on

I just hate having to reinstall everything. There WMDC has no real backup/restore function. Palm OS allowed to restore a device, with WinMob I had to create a new sync partnership and then get the data back that way, and manually copy files - and reinstall stuff as well. Its my biggest irritant.

And I don't like the new volume control; I do like the new quick settings. I use SPB Mobile Shell 2.0; I own 3.0, but hated it, and went back to 2.0 a while back.

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
I just hate having to reinstall everything. There WMDC has no real backup/restore function. Palm OS allowed to restore a device, with WinMob I had to create a new sync partnership and then get the data back that way, and manually copy files - and reinstall stuff as well. Its my biggest irritant.

And I don't like the new volume control; I do like the new quick settings. I use SPB Mobile Shell 2.0; I own 3.0, but hated it, and went back to 2.0 a while back.

did you try spb backup. i read it has will restore all for you, even has a firmware upate setting to retore after a flash

i dont have alot installed yet so it didnt take me long
i actually prefer 3 over 2

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
oh yeah, i almost forget, for vulume i use the spb profile thing on the professional home page, i prefer it over the lifestyle one

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
did you try spb backup. i read it has will restore all for you, even has a firmware upate setting to retore after a flash

i dont have alot installed yet so it didnt take me long
i actually prefer 3 over 2

Thanks. I'll probably get it. But I doubt it can help me for this past round.

I didn't like the revolving screens on 3; and just like the program choices on 2.

Of course all of my customized favorites disappeared on the reinstall, and I can't figure out where they went to to restore. :)

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
i dont use the revolving screens, i keep it on the pro screen, access everything from the hot buttons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)