SatAV's C/Ku LNB....questions.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
Maybe Brian can answer this, or maybe one of y'all can...is this a NEW design? In the past there were MAJOR issues with other c/ku feeds having different focal points for C and Ku, when used on prime focus dishes. Most guys have since abandoned them, instead going back to a Co-Rotor design with separate LNB's.

I am setting up a Birdview very shortly and this would be a great solution IF the issues with the different focal points have been solved.

Thoughts? :confused:

There has yet to be a C/Ku LNBF that is worthy of "commercial" quality application. You will find it much more reliable to use an ADL RP-3 C/Ku with polarizer motor, or possibly their four port H/V C and Ku-band model with separate LNBs. The latter is useful in that if you have a 4-input DiSEqC switch the number of inputs matches, and polarity is not a major issue on most satellites if it is skewed straight up and down at the center of the arc.

The GEOSATpro CK1 is not new. It was was the original combined C and KU band LNBF and featured the 5150 /10750 LO for greater compatibility. We chose the design over several competitor manufacturer units because of the consistently higher performance in dual band testing and the robust construction.

I would never suggest that the performance of the CK1 compares to a Polarotor with quality LNBs. Nothing beats a well designed feedhorn with quality LNBs and adjustable servo polarizer. Not everyone requires the performance or has the equipment to control the servo skew. These are operational examples of when the LNBF design should be considered. Hobbyist who are out for every ounce of performance and bragging rights will usually choose the Feedhorn / LNB design.

I have one dish with a Polarotor and LNBs slaved to the analog IRD (for polarization and actuation control) with splitters to a Lifetime Ultra for DXing and another dish with a CK1 connected directly to a Mercury II and G-type box optimized for quick, unattended scans of both bands and polarities. I experience a 10 - 15% performance gain on the Polarotor, but find that I prefer and usually use the CK1 combo due to the convenience. I rarely have ever switched over to the Feedhorn / LNB combo out of necessity to receive programming. This includes HD and high FEC reception.

With that said, the CK1 performs very well when used on an adequately sized reflector with proper FD setting. We do not experience the MAJOR issues that you suggest. We have noted that most instances of focal point variances were on non-standard installs, micro BUD tests and also with another manufacturer's design.

Took an extra hour or so to peak the CK1 installation, but well worth the performance gain. Several SatelliteGuys have performed various tests with the CK1 and rated the unit's performance quite favorably.

C/KU LNBF units and Polarotor units each have a market and purpose. Choose the design which best fits your requirements and useage.

Maybe Brian can answer this, or maybe one of y'all can...is this a NEW design? In the past there were MAJOR issues with other c/ku feeds having different focal points for C and Ku, when used on prime focus dishes. Most guys have since abandoned them, instead going back to a Co-Rotor design with separate LNB's.

I am setting up a Birdview very shortly and this would be a great solution IF the issues with the different focal points have been solved.

Thoughts? :confused:

I'm convinced

Here's the thread from a year ago, where Linuxman made his first Ck-1 work on a 10 foot Unimesh dish.
When I read it, I decided right there, to get a Ck-1.

Nearly every post I'd read up until then about the competitor, ended with bad karma on Ku.
Whether it's Caddata and his onion, or Linuxman and his passion for fine-tuning, this Ck-1 seems to work quite well.

It's clear that skew and focal point are a little off from traditional feedhorns with servos.
But the voltage-control was a deal-maker and servos a deal-breaker for me.
Any very small reduction in signal seems a good trade-off.

There has yet to be a C/Ku LNBF that is worthy of "commercial" quality application. You will find it much more reliable to use an ADL RP-3 C/Ku with polarizer motor, or possibly their four port H/V C and Ku-band model with separate LNBs. The latter is useful in that if you have a 4-input DiSEqC switch the number of inputs matches, and polarity is not a major issue on most satellites if it is skewed straight up and down at the center of the arc.

If I had unlimited funds and that was my only source of TV, Mike, I would. I do all my installs for maximum bang for the buck, not absolute maximum performance...:)

The way feeds are going fiber we all might have dinosaurs soon..:(

The GEOSATpro CK1 is not new. It was was the original combined C and KU band LNBF and featured the 5150 /10750 LO for greater compatibility. We chose the design over several competitor manufacturer units because of the consistently higher performance in dual band testing and the robust construction.

Thanks Brian. That's EXACTLY what I was wondering, if this was just another rebaged version of the competitor's C/Ku LNB. Good to know it isn't. :up

I would never suggest that the performance of the CK1 compares to a Polarotor with quality LNBs. Nothing beats a well designed feedhorn with quality LNBs and adjustable servo polarizer. Not everyone requires the performance or has the equipment to control the servo skew. These are operational examples of when the LNBF design should be considered. Hobbyist who are out for every ounce of performance and bragging rights will usually choose the Feedhorn / LNB design.

Nor would I expect it to. I currently use your discontinued Dual C-band LNB on my Paraclipse, and it does a great job, so much so that I haven't considered replacing it, I had a signal issue but it turned out to be an aiming issue and not a LNB issue. I have not had a feed I couldn't receive just yet, although that day may come. :)

I have one dish with a Polarotor and LNBs slaved to the analog IRD (for polarization and actuation control) with splitters to a Lifetime Ultra for DXing and another dish with a CK1 connected directly to a Mercury II and G-type box optimized for quick, unattended scans of both bands and polarities. I experience a 10 - 15% performance gain on the Polarotor, but find that I prefer and usually use the CK1 combo due to the convenience. I rarely have ever switched over to the Feedhorn / LNB combo out of necessity to receive programming. This includes HD and high FEC reception.

With that said, the CK1 performs very well when used on an adequately sized reflector with proper FD setting. We do not experience the MAJOR issues that you suggest. We have noted that most instances of focal point variances were on non-standard installs, micro BUD tests and also with another manufacturer's design.

Again, in all fairness, the problems were with the competitor's product on Ku, not yours Brian. You take me wrong. My intent was simply to know if this was the same thing as the competitors, nothing more. :cool:

Took an extra hour or so to peak the CK1 installation, but well worth the performance gain. Several SatelliteGuys have performed various tests with the CK1 and rated the unit's performance quite favorably.

After having all the problems skewing the Dual in the beginning, I have much experience with tweaking, but I agree totally, it was worth the effort. :up

Here's the thread from a year ago, where Linuxman made his first Ck-1 work on a 10 foot Unimesh dish.
When I read it, I decided right there, to get a Ck-1.

Nearly every post I'd read up until then about the competitor, ended with bad karma on Ku.
Exactly what I remembered. Good to know Ku wasn't an issue on SatAv's product.. :up

It's clear that skew and focal point are a little off from traditional feedhorns with servos.
But the voltage-control was a deal-maker and servos a deal-breaker for me.
Any very small reduction in signal seems a good trade-off.

I am not concerned with having to tune it, I expect that. I was more concerned with both bands working at a given F/D-skew position. I,too, do not wanna mess with a servo unless I absolutely have to. If Brother Linuxman made it work to his satisfaction, it'll be fine for me. :)

Thanks for the info, y'all. Looks like I will be placing an order soon. :D

Last edited:
The CK-1 does a fine job for both C and Ku.

Yes, you have to put a little time and effort into tuning it in, but if you do and have a decent sized and quality dish, it will pull in everything the co-rotors will. Just may not have as high a SQ percentage, but who really cares as long as you can watch the picture. :)

The only people who won't be satisfied are those trying to win the signal strength contest. And yes, I have been guilty of that too. :)

I am thinking of putting mine on my Birdview Solid in the Spring. I haven't ever tried it on there. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)