Satellite newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Another (new) DISH salesperson...

1. You can do Picture in Picture with the Dish DVR.

I can probably count on one hand the # of people that actually care about this.
And besides, if you put the DVR in dual mode with the other room using the other tuner, what good does it do anyway? :rolleyes:

3. You can feed multiple locations the signal from the DVR and do it with one cable and you don't need to use an FM mod to do it.

Well maybe that's why it didn't work for you - I've NEVER tried to use an "FM mod" to do this. (I'm assuming you meant TV mod... :confused: )
But be that as it may, you CAN do it with ONE cable on D* as well - done it many a time on SWM systems & it works just fine, thank you!

4. You can watch your recordings on any TV connected to the receiver (I know Direct is working on this but it's not main stream yet).

Isn't this the same thing you just said above??? :confused:

The biggest thing is Dishes dual tuner dual tv DVR's gives you choices. With Direct's you do get the automatic ability to watch and record, but thats all. You have more flexability with Dish.

And if you do NOT have a phone or internet connection, you DO pay for it, at least on additional DVR's. Sorry, but many of my customers don't have either, so they are still getting a better deal w/2 separate DVR's, that have FOUR tuners for both rooms.

By the way Don't forget that Dish has the 612 that is exactly the same setup as Direct's DVR's, a dual tuner DVR for one TV.

Yea, I'm well aware of this - I'm ALSO well aware that it STILL carries a separate DVR fee (again), just like all the other DVR's! :rolleyes: Since VERY few of my clients get "everything", (before you mention AEP) this is still a deal breaker - again, for myself included. So, what is the point of this...D* is still a better deal then.

Dish stopped charging the phone line access fee on the first DVR. They also only charge one HD fee just like Direct. SO if you order a 2 tv install you only have the one box if you want.

And AGAIN (for the umpteenth time!) - you ONLY get 2 tuners for BOTH rooms. Which means, of course, both rooms CANNOT watch & record 2 different things at once. You would not believe the number of E* subs I come across, that do NOT understand this - they really DO think you can do 2 things on EACH set - JUST like the 2 separate cable or D* DVR's they've had before, or seen at other homes. Nobody explained to them this (little) limitation BEFORE it was installed - but I'm SURE you explain it, right... :rolleyes:

And BTW, what you said about E* only charging 1 HD fee is NOT entirely correct - on EACH additional HD box, they charge $2 MORE per month than D* does, so don't forget to add that in there as well.

With Direct it is automatic you will have 2 boxes with the extra $5.00 a month. Plus if you want DVR on both those tv's you have to spend an extra $100 or $200 to get the box.

And again, you get DOUBLE the tuners to work with. And again, for a mere $99, even a NEW sub in our area can get TWO dual-tuner HD DVR's from D*. Once I explain with the extra $5/month, they are actually getting TWO more tuners to record & watch, I can't tell you the last time a client didn't go for it. They are tickled to have 2 separate boxes with the 4 tuners & double the hard drive space to boot. (& please don't tell me about plugging in external HD's on E* - most "mortals" have NO clue how to screw around with this, nor have the desire)

Last edited:
tlc & liquid - look, I already told you both, just like boba did, that BOTH providers have advantages & disadvantages. I actually do installs for BOTH as well - I've even done a few E* "duo DVR" installs (what a STUPID name change, BTW :rolleyes: ) & even have recommended them in a FEW cases. But as I said before - I do NOT think the concept is all that & a bag of chips like you both seem to think. Frankly, some clients find it VERY confusing & end up screwing things up because they do NOT understand the whole TV1/2 BS. I've already discussed the one DVR tuner per room limitation, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

There IS a reason why D* has not tried this themselves & frankly, E*'s convoluted way of administering it doesn't help much, either. Just trying to explain the billing to some clients takes longer that how the actual system works - particularly if they are getting multiple boxes. When E* came out with this whole concept, they should have NEVER had a 2nd room "fee" to begin with, or waiving/not waiving it due to phone/internet, moon in the east, sun in the west, 1st dual receiver waived, or even SOME people getting the 2nd receiver "no phone penalty" waived because they bitched enough, etc. Since that 2nd room goes out on coax, it is NOT the same as having the receiver connected directly (via direct A/V connections) to the TV - & should NOT ever be charged accordingly. But, E* screwed that up, so whatever... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
dishrich,

You call us all Dishnetwork sales man, well it's plain to see you are a DirecTV salesman.

You also don't really understand all that a Dish Dual Tuner DVR can do. You do know what and FM modulator is don't you? Because your Direct DVR's don't have a modulated output on them.

As far as PIP, I would say that for me this is probably one of the most asked questions for sports freaks. They want to be able to watch two games at once.

Very few and I mean very few people want more than 2 DVR's. I have been doing installs for years, never come to anyone that ordered more than two, and never seen a customer with more than 3. I am sure there are ones out there that have more than that, but the normal customer does not. Satallite Guys probably has the all the ones that want that many DVR's on here :) With the ease of watching your DVR programs on multiple TV's with dish, you don't really need to have a DVR for every TV. One box can cover them all. I can't tell you how many times I have had customer say what do you mean I can only watch my DVR programs on one tv. Had many cancel the install after learning that this was not something they could do with Direct, or when they found out it was an extra $100-200 to get another DVR.

You also keep ramming home the 2nd tv fee. Atleast you have the option if you have phone or internet to NOT pay it. Can't get away without paying for the box with Direct can you? OK OK yea yea DVR fee on extra Dish DVR's, so both companys find a way to get the extra fee's don't they.

Your area is also and oddity. Most everyone else has to pay these up front fee's to get the advanced equipment from Direct.

My point is that Direct is not the end all just because they have Dual tuner single TV units. Plus look at all the complaining about how slow they are too. Atleast Direct has finally caught up and now you have a chance of getting a one wire system. Remeber though your Direct tech can't use diplexers though to do special things like backfeed to another room, that's an auto fail on the install :)

Each system has it's + & -.

You can not say that Directs system is more flexible than Dishes though.

You also don't really understand all that a Dish Dual Tuner DVR can do.

Uh, I actually DO - because I actually HAVE one myself, right here, right now!
And as I just told you, I put them in also :rolleyes:

You do know what and FM modulator is don't you?

Yes, but you (obviously) don't - an FM mod is something you hook up your ipod to "modulate" to an FM radio, like in a car.
You DO know we're talking TV here, right - better get out that E* installers guide again... :confused: :p

Because your Direct DVR's don't have a modulated output on them.

I'm quite aware it - buy them & put them on all them time.
(psst - I actually buy TV mods, NOT FM mods :rolleyes: )

Very few and I mean very few people want more than 2 DVR's. I have been doing installs for years, never come to anyone that ordered more than two, and never seen a customer with more than 3. I am sure there are ones out there that have more than that, but the normal customer does not.

Sorry, but I have many "normal" customers that have 2-3 DVR's. (actually, I even have some single clients that have 2 DVR's) Again, because D* has them so cheap, most of my clients don't think that much of dropping an extra $99 for another HD DVR, & only pay $5/month - sorry to tell you.

Your area is also and oddity. Most everyone else has to pay these up front fee's to get the advanced equipment from Direct.

Not really, ALL MPEG4 local markets get it standard now. Sorry I'm lucking out on this. :D

My point is that Direct is not the end all just because they have Dual tuner single TV units.

NEVER said it was - YOU guys keep saying it IS with DISH's :rolleyes:

You can not say that Directs system is more flexible than Dishes though.

Sure I can & you'll disagree with me - my customers DON'T & I make $$$ with them, so your opinion doesn't really matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts