SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

DustoMan said:
Proving once again that it's the apps that developers come up with that will make GoogleTV shine... I give you AirTight! An app that allows GoogleTV to receive Airplay streams from Apple iDevices. Right now you can stream non-DRM'ed movies and pictures just like you would an AppleTV. $.99 is sure better than paying $99! Market link below:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brochos.tva#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiY29tLmJyb2Nob3MudHZhIl0.

So has anyone tried this app yet? I downloaded the app and all I get is a "waiting for connections" screen. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to turn something on from my iPhone. I can't find anything with any directions. For some reason it's not detecting my iPhone, or iPad for that matter.

I got one of those refurbished $79 units from amazon and trying to set it up. I have both a 722k and a 211k. I want to set it up with the 211k but when I go through the setup a message keeps coming up on the 722k (not the 211k where the Revue is connected) about going to dishenetwork.com to authorize integration. I even went online but didn't find anything about integrating the revue. Is there anyway to integrate the unit with the 211k?

smokey982 said:
So has anyone tried this app yet? I downloaded the app and all I get is a "waiting for connections" screen. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to turn something on from my iPhone. I can't find anything with any directions. For some reason it's not detecting my iPhone, or iPad for that matter.

Never mind, I got it to work. And it works great. Pretty cool.

What does "watch TV" mean? You want to watch OTA broadcasts on GTV, for example a client for an HDHomeRun? If so, why not just cut out both GTV and HDHomeRun and watch the channel directly using your TV's own tuner?

I was wondering why there couldn't be a Dish Network Subscriber app, so that we could watch all linear channels to which we subscribe over the Internet, rather than via satellite. Are Dish's contracts with programmers so specific that they have to provide these channels only via sat?

I got my sling pro hd box today and hooked it up to my 722k receiver and my ota coax antenna. I have to report the sling player works GREAT for video quality in HD.:D I can watch my living room tv from my master bedroom using the google box in their hooked up to my wife's 211k with dvr software. I moved the sling player app to the home screen and can access it easily. All very seemless. I can even watch the 722k on my other google box hooked up to the 722k itself and see only a slight delay in my actions on the screen. It has to go through the internet after all. I also hooked up sd composite cables to the tv 2 connection ,but you can't control the dvr or any other features. It is simply passing through the sd view on tv 2. Also set it up for ota antenna so I can watch it as well. VERY COOL! :cool:

I finally got my sling extender and it works for the computer too. I only wish DISH had enabled the sling adapter to work with this application so I wouldn't of had to buy a sling pro hd box too. So if you are looking for HD in your bedroom and you want to watch your living room tv , the google box + sling pro hd box is the answer. At least till the Xip whole house dvr comes on line. Oh and it is coming SSSOOOOONNNN!!!!!!!!;)

Just tested to see if my DISH sling adapter worked at the same time as my Sling player and it does. I can even use Dish remote access and watch anything I want at the same time. So I was watching a movie on remote access on my external hard drive at the same time as I was watching a recorded tv show over the sling player via the google box. BOTH IN HD. So you can watch tv 2 in hd using DISH remote access. AND DISH REMOTE ACCESS ACTUALLY WORKS WELL ! The DISH online never works that well and is totally unreliable. Now if I could find a way to view my computer on my bedroom tv I would have the ability to watch tv 2 in HD , the way the sling extender was intended to work.

hey mike. could you possibly draw up some kind of diagram for the way you have stuff hooked up? i'm having a hard time getting it straight in my head. my wife would be very happy with me if i could get this working for her...

Anyone notice Netflix buffering a little more often than they expect while using the Revue?

The Revue and my 360 are both connected to the same hub behind our entertainment center, 360 is fine, I suspect the Revue just being underpowered is what's causing the buffering.

Wish I could say Honeycomb breathed new life into the device, but all it's done is simplified the UI, not sure I've seen any other improvements. Wife prefers to use it over the 360 because she likes using the keyboard and single source, rather than switching source (which causes our Denon to fail negotiating a new HDMI connection until its turned off and on... a flaw with my model's NIC card, sigh) and using the 360.

When I watch Netflix it's on my 360 rather than the Revue, hands-free with my Kinect.

hey mike. could you possibly draw up some kind of diagram for the way you have stuff hooked up? i'm having a hard time getting it straight in my head. my wife would be very happy with me if i could get this working for her...

I don't know how to post charts or graphs or even software. I bought the Sling pro hd unit at Best Buy and followed their chart . I hooked up the 722k by component cables and the red/white audio cables provided to the Sling unit. I added the IR jack to the front of the 722k under the recording lights and stuck it there with the sticky pad provided. I then went online to the website listed: Slingbox.com - Get Started and registered and the site connected to my receiver and from there I could watch it online. I could even go to dish remote access site and watch my 722k on it. I used to have an account with them before the dishonline thing started. I then went to my google revue unit and clicked on the sling player application and it brought it right up for me to access. I clicked on it again and I was watching my 722k receiver on it, in my bedroom.

thanks mike. that got the picture better in my mind.
i can't get my revue to take the slingplayer download. It pops up the screen with the bar on the bottom that says loading. A little of the bar fills up. then either shockwave crashes or the plugin stops working. did you have any trouble getting the download to take?

YES . It looks as good as watching it live. The only thing is using the built in dvr features of the sling guide, there is a slight delay in using it. You push skip and it will take 2 seconds to catch up. But it is being bounced through the internet and back to my receiver to make it skip.

thanks mike. that got the picture better in my mind.
i can't get my revue to take the slingplayer download. It pops up the screen with the bar on the bottom that says loading. A little of the bar fills up. then either shockwave crashes or the plugin stops working. did you have any trouble getting the download to take?

No . Do you have the lastest software for the google revue unit? It will only load and open if you have a sling box hooked up and it is registered with the Sling website. Then the google box with the sling player will connect almost instantly, after checking for best quality etc.

I hope I get to try some of the new Google TV products at CES. Would be interested in getting rid of my Revue at the right price if the hardware and software perform better and it's better supported by the vendor (so basically not made by Logitech, pretty sure I won't have anything to worry about there...)

Google arms up for second wave of Google TV devices | Android and Me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)