SatelliteGuys Rumor Central

John Kotches said:
hancox,

I'm curious why it's so hard to comprehend that the the vast majority of HD customers already have the dish at one (or both) of the wings.

I suspect that < 2% of the HD population on E* is missing a dish pointed to one of the wings.

Does anyone have some hard numbers?

Cheers,

I did a fast and unscientific survey in my neighborhood. 2 subdivisions, 200 houses. We are 60 miles north of Denver and OTA is marginal. Cable is some rinky dink company with 35 channels of analog. Dish's local must carry is on 148 and includes the better PBS station.

Total houses surveyed = 200
DTV dish = 60
DISH dish = 80
Dish dishes pointed at 148 = 3

and I know at least one of them was from the period when all Denver locals were at 148. Soomehow, I don't think this supports your thoery.

I still see lone Dish300's hanging on houses. I wonder if they are old installs that have gone dark or just people who never wanted 110. Plus in my hood the dishes on my side of the street are in the back yard ... you won't see mine or the neighbors without trespassing. (Although I see your count of 140 dishes on 200 houses as good penetration.)

Statistically though looking around our own hoods is a very small sample. One has to remember that before HD was launched on 110 E* had HD subscribers and 100% of them had wing satellites. It is only the new subscribers in the past two months who would not have wings (unless they needed them for CBS-HD or another reason). And considering the supply problems with HD receivers that reduces the number.

E* would have the statistics of how many customers had a wing HD dish subscription and how many new HD customers have been added without a wing since late November. I'm sure that is being taken into account in their decision making.

JL

DVDDAD said:
I've got a great idea for a new PC game that you guys would eat up. It called "Satellite Tycoon"! But you need to be careful, when you play against Charlie. You'll neeed to be able to read his "Poker Face" to win!

And watch out for the evil Pegasus! Don't drop the soap!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts