SatelliteGuys Rumor Central

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
Up until a few months ago the only way to get HD from Dish was with a second Dish.

Infact most Dish HD subscribers now have a Dish pointed already at 61.5 (which also where VOOM is) so a second dish for them would be no problem.

Now Scott, are you forgetting about the Left Coast folks who are aimed at 148? We've got a pretty large population west of the Mississippi.

61.5 can be seen all the way to California (I know it may be dificult to hit but it can be hit)

Also remember that Dish owns all the transponders on 148.

If they moved all the Internationals off of 61.5 and 148 and moved them to 105 or 121, they could use both 61.5 and 148 to be the real HD leader they keep claiming to be.

Scott,

There might be something to this. Neglecting local issues (buildings, trees, terrain) how much of the CONUS can hit either 148 or 61.5? Do the 61.5 and 148 sats have the capacity to carry the HD material?

Purchasing Voom would indeed be a coup, assuming the vast majority of CONUS can see either of these satellites, and that the satellites do indeed have the capacity for the HD content.

Another caveat springs to mind. What % of users have both international and HD programming? This is the subset of users that would require a 4 satellite setup.

Cheers,

lonewolfe said:
with that many satellites you would look like the main office at E*

Uh oh....people will start calling me now for E* products :D

I just added a 5th dish on my roof last nite (for FTA)

ET should have come to your house to phone home. I wouldn't mind the extra sats in my yard. I have 2 now and ant. I would gladly add another if I had to to get more hd, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Even if E* does buy out Voom. It would take at least 6 months for anything to trickle down the pipe. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Up until a few months ago the only way to get HD from Dish was with a second Dish.

Infact most Dish HD subscribers now have a Dish pointed already at 61.5 (which also where VOOM is) so a second dish for them would be no problem.

I am not sure if this is a true statement and given the fact that HD is on 110, I would have a hard time believing this. I am a HD dish person and do not have any dishes pointed to 61.5. 110,119 and I think 148? No sure about the last one since it is where Japan TV is and I dont pay too much attention to is. ;)

Moving all HD over to 61.5 would suck big time for me

i thought E* wanted to move most if not all HD content off of 61.5? Why make a majority of your suscribers get another dish for HD?

WeeJavaDude and Ransack,

You can have a hard time believing this all you want. But up until about 1 month or so ago, HD content was on wing satellites only. They are evacuating the wings (I'm not sure it's done yet), but that doesn't mean it's not feasible to migrate (again) back to the wings.

Unless it's someone that's joined Dish HD after the migration they would have a 500 + a dish hitting 61.5 and/or 148.

Cheers,

No matter if any of this information was true or not, I believe everyone has done some thinking on what I have said, I can see a few people here have let their imaginations run wild, thinking about things further to me was like the thoughts that go through my head when I think about winning the powerball. :)

a buddy of mine who sells d* said that d* is going to sell direct or through big chains and shut out the small guys. possibly by june.

How would the 'proposed' E*/v* co. handle the expected v* switchover to MPEG 4 next year? That would be a lot of receivers to switch out.

AndyMon said:
How would the 'proposed' E*/v* co. handle the expected v* switchover to MPEG 4 next year? That would be a lot of receivers to switch out.
Would V*'s transponders still convert? They wouldn't need the bandwidth for the SD parts of V*'s service, and using some of E*'s transponders getting to 39 HD would take 20 transponders. (And that's assuming they keep 39 HDs.)

They are also still close to the introduction of E*'s offering, so if they do decide to go MPEG4 a receiver swap wouldn't be out of the question.

JL

Dish has enough transponders on 148 not even being used right now or under to mirror all of 61.5 VOOM.

Perhaps Charlie is simply looking to retire and enjoy the good life. He could simply merge with VOOM and let Dolan run the show....

Scott

you don't think all the equipment issues on "stocking" are because of the amount of new customers we are installing? we are in the wichita locals area and since the announcement it's been non-stop new customers yes we are out of superdishes and 311/301s but we keep saying it's "growing pains" i take it you don't agree

rock

There were a number of SuperDish markets added and I remember doing an upgrade and the delay of 1-2 hours of getting them activated because they said that they were backed up that much.

I think E & V would be an interesting combo. I really don't think there is room for 3 sat providers.

If E buys V, it would be an easy swapout of receivers. (so few customers)

If V buys E, they would QUICKLY swap to E equipment. (looking at the V forum the boxes work worse than E's).

With the runup in E's stock, it sure makes it easier (and cheaper) for Dish to buy Voom.

Moving HD back to wings would not be that big of a problem.

Other than the boards screaming.

In the last couple of months, HD has gone from 61.5/148 to 105 to 110.

Whats one more move. :D

If HD did go to 61.5 I would not expect the HD at 110 to move, it would stay where it is.

Charlie mentioned on a recent retailer chat that for HD customers to put up a Dish for 61.5 just incase for future HD offerings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts