SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/01/2007

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would think we will be hearing about more hd within the next 4-6 weeks. I am sure there are some out there that will correct me if I am wrong.:)

How much capacity for HD is there with existing satellites? Really? Two channels? Four maybe?

Other than that, there won't be anything significant until June or July. The new Echostar Satellite Launch looks like Q2 at the absolute earliest unless sealaunch weather improves in the next few days. Not sure when the AMC sat is scheduled, but I could not find any schedule reference to it through next June. They can't move anymore because they need the rest to absorb peak sports demands.

In the meantime, the best we can hope for is to move a couple of PPV channels to Internet based VOD.

If you want GObs more HDTV, you are going to have to move to D*. I have not decided to do that yet, but when the 622 contract ends in march ....

By the way, SciFi in HD looks great. Saw it at my sister's house Saturday. DVR sucks, though.

I've started a new philosophy, expect less than nothing every week so that when only 'nothing' happens this week I am pretty durn happy, Charlie has overachieved! :p

How much capacity for HD is there with existing satellites? Really? Two channels? Four maybe?

Today without doing anything significant they could add 9 channels. There are 9 VOOM channels on 3 TPs. Dish is doing 6 channels/TP with the new encoders. They could add 9 channels without having to move a thing. Next month when they cut international off of 61.5 they probably will have capacity for another 24 channels, plus they will be able to turn the spots on 61.5 and maybe add 40 cities LiL HD.

Only reason I see that they are stuck on not adding new channels is that DIRECTV must have a short term lock up on the new HD channels. Probably paid some marketing $$ up front to help launch the new channels. It has to be short term or DIRECTV would be advertising exclusivity on DIRECTV.

I am still learning. I know what hd is. What is dma?? locals? or direct memory acess?

Seems like a lot of local hd are getting ready soon. I sure hope they save some room for some national hd. Damn. I know I am selfish.:)

I am still learning. I know what hd is. What is dma?? locals? or direct memory acess?

Your designated market area. It is based on the number of people that watch a channel in your county. If most of the county watches a CBS over a different affiliate CBS, that CBS becomes the local channel serving a DMA. That is how it is decided which network channel becomes your local channel.

Today without doing anything significant they could add 9 channels. There are 9 VOOM channels on 3 TPs. Dish is doing 6 channels/TP with the new encoders. They could add 9 channels without having to move a thing. Next month when they cut international off of 61.5 they probably will have capacity for another 24 channels, plus they will be able to turn the spots on 61.5 and maybe add 40 cities LiL HD.

Only reason I see that they are stuck on not adding new channels is that DIRECTV must have a short term lock up on the new HD channels. Probably paid some marketing $$ up front to help launch the new channels. It has to be short term or DIRECTV would be advertising exclusivity on DIRECTV.

I would like to see the hd channels that Direct has that no one else has. You may have something here Mike. I know other providers have CNN hd, Weather Channel hd,TBS hd, other channels like Smitsonian. USA, Fox Business Channel, Sci Fi, FX and the last 6 or 7 that were just launched, I have not seen other providers carry. Maybe someone can tell me if any of the other hd channels are on other provders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)