SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/01/2007

I would like to see the hd channels that Direct has that no one else has. You may have something here Mike. I know other providers have CNN hd, Weather Channel hd,TBS hd, other channels like Smitsonian. USA, Fox Business Channel, Sci Fi, FX and the last 6 or 7 that were just launched, I have not seen other providers carry. Maybe someone can tell me if any of the other hd channels are on other provders.

We have TBS HD.

Looks like Scott is reading between the lines ;)

No new HD DMA's just yet. Not until 61.5 goes to spotbeam mode.

Here's my speculation... remember my posts before the pause button was hit at DishNetwork? The ones about the HD LiL consolidation. Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and Denver HD LiL's will be consolidated soon from 3 TP's to 2 TP's without sacrificing picture quality. The 3 Voom's on 61.5 that were on one TP by themselves were combined on 61.5 a couple of weeks ago. I haven't looked what they 3 on 129 will be combined with yet.

December is the month of the bandwidth reclaiming campaign. What will they do with this? I'm thinking new National HD and east coast HD LiL announcements at CES!

Of course this is my random digging and speculation, so you'll have to take it as so.

Looks like Scott is reading between the lines ;)

No new HD DMA's just yet. Not until 61.5 goes to spotbeam mode.

Here's my speculation... remember my posts before the pause button was hit at DishNetwork? The ones about the HD LiL consolidation. Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and Denver HD LiL's will be consolidated soon from 3 TP's to 2 TP's without sacrificing picture quality. The 3 Voom's on 61.5 that were on one TP by themselves were combined on 61.5 a couple of weeks ago. I haven't looked what they 3 on 129 will be combined with yet.

December is the month of the bandwidth reclaiming campaign. What will they do with this? I'm thinking new National HD and east coast HD LiL announcements at CES!

Of course this is my random digging and speculation, so you'll have to take it as so.

You have to think that with the probability of more hd locals, they would add more national hd. I like the way you think.:)

This is pure unverifiable speculation, but...

I have a friend who works at a company that does a lot of promotional work for a few cable providers. She usually knows what's coming up in the short term. This friend has recently told me that SciFi HD will be showing up on cable providers pretty soon. So, if there is any type of exclusivity between SciFi and D*, it has to be very short term.

My other thought is that SciFi is NBC/Universal -- and we have Universal HD already. Would NBC/Universal have exclusivity for one HD network and not the others?

I switched to E* from cable a few weeks ago thinking that E* is going to have the capacity for the HD I want quicker than cable -- I hope I was right!

My speculation is that it would be a 60-90 day marketing exclusive. DIRECTV needed a lot of HD channels to back up their marketing claims of 100 HD channels (later changed to 150). I am sure they were giving out cash to help with "transition costs" in exchange they probably got a few months of exclusiveness. Channels like SciFi were denying up until the end that they were going to have HD. Even when the channel was launched they did not even put up an update to their web site.

Considering these channels started launching in October, I would not be surprised if the lockout was not until the end of the year. The problem Dish faces right now is if they put up the ones they can people will probably be mad. People would probably scream if they put up The Weather Channel in HD and did not put up SciFi HD.

This is one of the few times a Charlie Chat could actually do some good. They need to announce new channels and markets to calm the market. I am sure If they said January 4th 2007 they will launch 20 new HD channels and X number of markets people would not be so upset. Keeping everyone in the dark so long makes people think the worst. I can see them not wanting to announce back in October that it would be next year before they can launch channels, that would be free advertising for DIRECTV, people would riot. But, the next Charlie Chat would be close enough to the launch window where people would not riot.

QUOTE***I switched to E* from cable a few weeks ago thinking that E* is going to have the capacity for the HD I want quicker than cable -- I hope I was right!***QUOTE

In regards to cable, I think you made the right choice. Jury is still out on satellite providers.

As much as I would like to see new channels at CES, in the past Dish has used CES to announce new hardware, not programing. So I doubt that there is a lull now in order to make a big programming splash in January.

I would be more inclined to expect announcements about VOD services and Hardware to go with them, as well as Slingbox stuff.

I have noticed that the newspaper promotions here have focused on two things:

1) Big Ten network, NFL Network, etc. (Comcast is the enemy here).
2) The best HD DVR in the industry

IF they have new hardware or new features (along the lines of remote programming of DVRs that they just announces, say, or integration with slingbox), that would fit into the present marketing scheme like a glove and would be something that the competiton does not do very well.

I would forget about new programming if Dish came out with something that would allow me to view recorded HD stuff from my 622 through something like a 222 in another room over say an ethernet connection. IF they come out with THAT at CES, I would stop squawking and buy a second HD TV and a second tuner.

and of course CES is early January so we're looking at about 6 weeks. Not bad.

From just a quick calc from your speculations.. there should be enough for 5 new national HD's no?

All the digging and speculation sounds pretty right on. The uplink report this week should tell tale if they've already started. Where's Wednesday? :)

I for one can't stand the new way of doing the uplink report threads.

By the time there are real content changes to get clarification on, the discussion thread is so bloated it is impossible to sifter thru to get any meaningful information. Before it would still get full of "I want" and "I wish" posts instead of post on the actual weeks changes. But now we are on page 10 to 15 before the meat of the uplinks kick in (if they even do) that particular week.
Not trying to start are flame war or change the world... just a brief rant.

Add this post to the "off topic" and "nothing to do with" this weeks uplink report list. :(

I for one can't stand the new way of doing the uplink report threads.

By the time there are real content changes to get clarification on, the discussion thread is so bloated it is impossible to sifter thru to get any meaningful information. Before it would still get full of "I want" and "I wish" posts instead of post on the actual weeks changes. But now we are on page 10 to 15 before the meat of the uplinks kick in (if they even do) that particular week.
Not trying to start are flame war or change the world... just a brief rant.

Add this post to the "off topic" and "nothing to do with" this weeks uplink report list. :(

The changes are not posted here. Check the uplink report thread for changes.

Any Salt Lake City HD local customers notice anything different with the picture quality? Worse? Better?

Signal strenght dropped dramatically on or about Thanksgiving day. As of yesterday afternoon, I was still unable to access Local HD stations. I'll have to check today to see if that remains the same

I honestly think at this point, as noted on here as well, whole-heartedly that at this point we are s.o.l. until CES, at best. We will see, perhaps, some testing, bandwidth reclamation, and maybe some HD local's before then, if anyone is lucky... Dish is really between a rock and a hard place, no new HD, marketing is a mess, and at this point, they are counting their losses and trying to find a way to go all-in at CES...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts