SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/22/2007

It's pretty clear that what D* and E* have both been dedicated to over the last year, year and a half is redefining HD downwards so that we all come to take what has come to be known as "HD-Lite" as normal.

In some sense, this might work in E*'s favor now: if they start to degrade "HD-Lite" even further by cramming more channels on a transponder they can claim a "temporary" move to a lower quality HD and then, when the new satellites come on line, stand up and take bows when they generously restore "true" HD (or HD-Lite). Of course knowing E* they may try to redefine HD downwards once again and attempt to get people to accept the degraded HD-Lite as the norm so they can go to their one-dish MPEG4 solution.

=NLK=

AT this point DISH needs to do something to compete with DIRECTV and if that means hd lite and putting more hd channels on one transponder , I think that they will do it. And when they do relaunch DISH in full mpeg 4 we will get full resolution on all hd once again. I know I wouldn't mind having some of those same hd channels that DIRECTv has today. IT would only be hd lite for about 6 months and then we would go back to full resolution.

Maybe DIGI should run a poll on whether DISH subs would accept hd lite and gain all those hd channels that DIRECTV has or wait till next summer to get them.

AT this point DISH needs to do something to compete with DIRECTV and if that means hd lite and putting more hd channels on one transponder , I think that they will do it. And when they do relaunch DISH in full mpeg 4 we will get full resolution on all hd once again. I know I wouldn't mind having some of those same hd channels that DIRECTv has today. IT would only be hd lite for about 6 months and then we would go back to full resolution.

Maybe DIGI should run a poll on whether DISH subs would accept hd lite and gain all those hd channels that DIRECTV has or wait till next summer to get them.

Noooo, I do not want further degradation of channels. THAT WILL make up my mind to switch to D* for MLB. I really do not know when I watched USA last.

Oh wait, why don't they recombine Voom transponders, as it is pretty bad of late, and add Sci-Fi HD to satisfy the people here. Of course, here on the West Coast, Monsters and HDNews cut out on 129 real bad. :mad:

That's right, Replace 129 DISH. If 129 gets worse, I go. Hey even Comcast added NGC-HD, but their prices and DVR's are another story.

People, you should note that E*'s version of ESPN-HD, HDTHR, HDNets, HBO-E-HD and SHO-E-HD is better than D*'s MPEG2 "washouts".

AT this point DISH needs to do something to compete with DIRECTV and if that means hd lite and putting more hd channels on one transponder , I think that they will do it. And when they do relaunch DISH in full mpeg 4 we will get full resolution on all hd once again.
You guys are still operating under the fantasy that you can see differences in HD resolution, and the false premise that differences in clarity are due to resolution, rather than bitrate.

I would post the chart again, that shows that the human eye in the average living room cannot physically tell the difference between 720p and anything greater (let alone the difference between 1440x1080 and 1920x1080), but I won't bother since you clearly want to believe that you see the difference.

The original myth of "HD-Lite" came out because D* was lowering both the bitrate and resolution below what their encoders required to produce good PQ. The reality of lossey digital video (i.e. DBS and DVD) is that the numbers are whatever the encoders require to produce good PQ. No particular number has a meaning separate from the material.
The "Fish Tank" and the "Yule Log" can look really great with bitrates far less than what is required for Star Wars III.

To summarize, If the poll shows that no one notices a difference, then it is NOT HD-Lite.

I would post the chart again, that shows that the human eye in the average living room cannot physically tell the difference between 720p and anything greater (let alone the difference between 1440x1080 and 1920x1080), but I won't bother since you clearly want to believe that you see the difference.

My eyes see the difference and it is what matters for me, and not you chart:D

You don't give the human eye enough credit.

In your average living room, sure. However, if the display is good enough, the viewing distance is correct, and you have good eyesight, you can see it. (i.e. at movie theater I can easily see screen door and the individual pixels on 2K DLP projection.)

You guys are still operating under the fantasy that you can see differences in HD resolution, and the false premise that differences in clarity are due to resolution, rather than bitrate.

The original myth of "HD-Lite" came out because D* was lowering both the bitrate and resolution below what their encoders required to produce good PQ. The reality of lossey digital video (i.e. DBS and DVD) is that the numbers are whatever the encoders require to produce good PQ. No particular number has a meaning separate from the material.
The "Fish Tank" and the "Yule Log" can look really great with bitrates far less than what is required for Star Wars III.

To summarize, If the poll shows that no one notices a difference, then it is NOT HD-Lite.

I didn't mean to rattle your cage about hdlite vs full hd. I only meant that in order for DISH to compete and add more hd NOW vs the future to compete with DIRECTV , that they could add more hd channels per transponder and reduce the bit rate or the resolution or what ever it takes to produce more hd channels. This might reduce the pq a bit for some who say that they can see a difference in pq. I don't know that much about the differences between bit rate, resolution etc. I was pointing out that it might be needed to reduce it now to have more hd channels now and in the future they would take it back to what it is supposed to be , when they relaunch DISH in full mpeg 4. I use the term resolution to refer to pq as I really don't know what else to call it.

My main point is what ever it takes for DISH to put up more hd channels , they should do and the effect on pq will be temporary till the new sats are up and running. So in 6 months we should have more hd and in better pq , resolution,or bitrate or what ever you want to call it.

I didn't mean to rattle your cage about hdlite vs full hd. I only meant that in order for DISH to compete and add more hd NOW vs the future to compete with DIRECTV , that they could add more hd channels per transponder and reduce the bit rate or the resolution or what ever it takes to produce more hd channels. This might reduce the pq a bit for some who say that they can see a difference in pq. I don't know that much about the differences between bit rate, resolution etc. I was pointing out that it might be needed to reduce it now to have more hd channels now and in the future they would take it back to what it is supposed to be , when they relaunch DISH in full mpeg 4. I use the term resolution to refer to pq as I really don't know what else to call it.

My main point is what ever it takes for DISH to put up more hd channels , they should do and the effect on pq will be temporary till the new sats are up and running. So in 6 months we should have more hd and in better pq , resolution,or bitrate or what ever you want to call it.

I think this is where the new encoders come into play. Without the loss of any pq. Dish can move forward. Who knows, with the new encoders and the launch of new sats. Maybe the pq can be alot better than in the past.

So let me understand, D* gets ripped a new a**hole because they had to use HD Lite in order to get channels on their existing satellites until their new satellites went operational. But now that E*'s in the same boat it's now going to be OK to use HD Lite?:rolleyes:

So let me understand, D* gets ripped a new a**hole because they had to use HD Lite in order to get channels on their existing satellites until their new satellites went operational. But now that E*'s in the same boat it's now going to be OK to use HD Lite?:rolleyes:

Your act is getting old Rad. Your blanket generalizations are so weak they fail to find any mark. Why not try a new approach and limit your posting to forums for services that you actually subscribe to? <not holding breath>

NightRyder

Your act is getting old Rad. Your blanket generalizations are so weak they fail to find any mark. Why not try a new approach and limit your posting to forums for services that you actually subscribe to? <not holding breath>

NightRyder

Because of the hypocrisy of the E* folks that ragged D* whenever they had the chance when they were in the bandwidth crunch and now saying it will be OK to do the same thing. Because of all the E* folks that said no way in hell would there be as many HD channels up by the end of 2007 for D* to send out and they were saying. Because of all the blind following that a lot of E* folks are showing, when they used to tell D* folks to come to E* for all the HD we have now, forget promises, now they're looking from promises from E* for what the might get.

Last edited:
Because of the hypocrisy of the E* folks that ragged D* whenever they had the chance when they were in the bandwidth crunch and now saying it will be OK to do the same thing. Because of al the E* folks that said no way in hell would there be as many HD channels up by the end of 2007 for D* to send out and they were saying. Because of all the bind following that a lot of E* folks are showing, when they used to tell D* folks to come to E* for all the HD we have now, forget promises, now they're looking from promises from E* for what the might get.

rad, rad ,rad. 99% on here do not care if Direct has a bigger penis. Us dish subs just want more hd.:D

rad, rad ,rad. 99% on here do not care if Direct has a bigger penis. Us dish subs just want more hd.:D

And I hope you get something soon and don't have to wait until the next sat goes operational. As a D* sub (and a former E* sub) I know what its like to have to see what other services have and not have it on my system.