SatHawk 6910 Signal Meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
Anyone hear anything good or bad about a SatHawk 6910 Signal Meter? Just seen it over on Sadoun's web site. They are selling it for $199. Seen it a little lower on ebay but not much. This would be useful rather than dragging out the receiver and TV.

It is an OEM model of a SatLink meter. Sensitive tuner, easy to use, but poor battery life and the editing program fails. Several other meters available that are probably better candidates. If you are willing to spend a few hundred dollars and want a meter that will be around for a few years, I would consider a meter that can identify DVBS as well as S2.

We were looking at distributing the SatLink WS-6912 S2 meter, but the manufacturer wasn't able to address several major issues including battery life. Company has been in the meter business for several years, but not very strong in development.

Last edited:
It is an OEM model of a SatLink meter. Sensitive tuner, easy to use, but poor battery life and the editing program fails. Several other meters available that are probably better candidates. If you are willing to spend a few hundred dollars and want a meter that will be around for a few years, I would consider a meter that can identify DVBS as well as S2.

We were looking at distributing the SatLink WS-6912 S2 meter, but the manufacturer wasn't able to address several major issues including battery life. Company has been in the meter business for several years, but not very strong in development.
Looks like I will using the receiver and TV method. ;)

Looks like I will using the receiver and TV method. ;)

Or you could just spend 170 dollars and get a FS1 meter.

The FS1 is made for MPEG2 signals but has the ability to detect other signals. See the chart below.

• MPEG2 SD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG2 HD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG4 SD Signal / Quality
  • MPEG4 HD Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher 8psk Signal / Quality
From the FS1 web page.

I bought one of those no name meters from China for just over a $100. It saves dragging out a receiver and TV. Battery life has not been an issue for me.
WPworks 004.JPG

I bought one of those no name meters from China for just over a $100. It saves dragging out a receiver and TV. Battery life has not been an issue for me.
View attachment 71468

I've thought about one of those several times over the years but was afraid of getting burnt.

Today I when out and installed a second KU LNBF today on my Prodelin 1.2M dish for 97W and it took me all of 35 minutes to get it setup with a locked signal. Right now my MRX-1200 is download the channels. You really can't beat the FS1 for being easy to use and it's quickness at locating things.

Last edited:
Or you could just spend 170 dollars and get a FS1 meter.

The FS1 is made for MPEG2 signals but has the ability to detect other signals. See the chart below.

• MPEG2 SD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG2 HD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG4 SD Signal / Quality
  • MPEG4 HD Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher 8psk Signal / Quality
From the FS1 web page.

And that meter tells you the satellite you are on? Hmmm....

And that meter tells you the satellite you are on? Hmmm....

You have to either set your own parameter for the one satellite and TP you want or just use the factory installed list. You won't have a picture but you'll have less chance in my experience of being on the wrong sat, plus you get support. You should read the review that was written up about the meter or visit the companies web sit.

Thanks, MS. Good info in that long post. I ordered something close to that from Sadoun on Ebay last night. The big thing for me is it will be able to do double duty. You can use it to check and adjust CCTV cameras. Something I dabble with. I did like the (I think name is correct) FS1. That would tell you what sat you hit, but no use for CCTV. So that made a reason for the one I did purchase.

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything good or bad about a SatHawk 6910 Signal Meter? Just seen it over on Sadoun's web site. They are selling it for $199. Seen it a little lower on ebay but not much. This would be useful rather than dragging out the receiver and TV.
I received mine very fast and have had time to "play" with it. Without question, it is better than dragging all that "stuff" out to the dish site. After a few charges and discharges(use)the battery meter holds for at least two hours until it shows it is low. Have not kept it running to see how much longer it my go until dead batery, so it could last longer. The video display is a nice feature. Gives you an idea of what you have found. Has settings to control your switches if you just want to test things from the house. In my case, I use that feature to go to the box that has my Ecoda switch. I can remove the line from the receiver, attach a coax there and to the unit. That way I do not have to remove the water proof gummy stuff at the dishes. The meter may not pick all that is out there, but you can get enough to know you are on the sat you were looking for. The manual does have pictures you can actually see, but does not give you as much information as would be helpful when learning to use. The advertising states security cameras. Well, it sure does not work with real CCTV cameras. Maybe A/V from a camcorder or something simular. Some flaws are the fact you really do not know what you received because unlike well know brand names there are not real information labels on the unit. An example would be my Sony HD recorder. Label has all information as to model, S/N, date of manufacture, etc. Can not find anything like that on this unit. I will have to guess I have the Sathawk 6910? Software updates looks like a joke. You can find nothing anywhere to update it with. Another flaw is on the display. When you have a picture(channel)running and press the info button, a gray square smaller than the display comes on and the black info is displayed on that. So you can see it. Problem is they do not line up. You cannot read the first three lines unless the background is a very light color.
All said, if you want something that is better than dragging your stuff out to the dish, this unit will do the job. Sure there are better units out there for sale, but this one will work for what I need a meter for. If you were an installer, you may want something more expensive.

Since there have been no comments, it must mean no one cares about this meter. That's OK. Just a correction anyway-I found the way to get it to display CCTV cameras. That sure will help with installing and getting them pointed where one wants them........

RT

These meters do look like neat toys! However the meter that caught my eyes is the Lexium 7100 pro. From what I understand is that whatever bird you point at it will identify and give quality level without pushing buttons. Are these meters in this thread capable of doing this too??? The meters such as the Sathawk 6910 take me back to when scientific calculators first came out and evolved into what looks like something these meters. Most kids in school back then that had them did not know how to run them totally but they could add on them! So do I need one of these scientific satellite meters just to add satellites??? I am usually strapped for time so if I can find a meter that "points and clicks" then that meter will fit my needs. ;)

It looks like that Lex 7100 is just what you should have. Turn it on and get answers. Maybe when the 9199 version comes out it will go out to the dish, hook it's self up, turn on, find a sat, and yell back to the house what it found! Now that would be a meter!:D
I like stuff with lots of buttons. Gives me more options. You have to do some of the work with the 6910. + it gives me dual usage. So I think it is OK.Lex 7100.jpg

Last edited:
...Maybe when the 9199 version comes out it will go out to the dish, hook it's self up, turn on, find a sat, and yell back to the house what it found! Now that would be a meter!:D
I like stuff with lots of buttons. Gives me more options. ...

I already have a version of that ultimate "9199" meter...

my wife!! :D

I usually push a lot of wrong buttons on that meter! ;)

Most of those cheaper meters are simply a TV and Sat receiver combined and offer little else. Meters that identify the sat need to have the data (transponder info) they use to identify sats loaded in them. If a sat only runs feeds it would be next to impossible for the meter to identify it. The identification accuracy is only as good as the info you put in the meter. Now the better meters have current info already loaded and some way to update easily. Others you have to load the transponder info manually. We were hoping to see a good review of the Lexium, but there were some issues with the meter being reviewed and we never found out any more. At this point I wouldn't buy one until I've read some good reviews on it. Where I live the city is laid out exactly north/south east/west so aiming a dish is almost childs play. I use the meter for fine tuning. I don't need to know what sat I'm aimed at, I allready know.

Where I live the city is laid out exactly north/south east/west so aiming a dish is almost childs play. I use the meter for fine tuning. I don't need to know what sat I'm aimed at, I allready know.

You are lucky in some ways by being in town and having reference points. My dishes are close to 300 feet away and sometimes I am off a satellite or 2 but I can figure it out. The biggest reason I am looking for a meter is for setting up dishes for friends and not knowing too quickly what and where I am looking at!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)