Sats with temporary channels ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
While I realize that people have different tastes and needs in TV channels, nevertheless looking at Mike Kohl's Ku chart for the USA, it looks to me that only IA5, G10R, and AMC4 have more than a handful of channels.
But, a number of people have T90's with far more than 3 LNBs on them.
So, the thought occurred to me that perhaps some FTA satellites are known to often have temporary channels.
Which leads to the question - which FTA satellites are known to often have temporary channels (that are worth watching)?

Which leads to the question - which FTA satellites are known to often have temporary channels (that are worth watching)?
For me, any satellite with a wild feed of a hockey game. Of course I like other sports too, but I love my hockey! Of course I can usually find something interesting when I scan, such as a News Reporter applying make-up while watching the monitor and making hilarious faces. Or perhaps another one picking his nose, or scratching himself in unmentionable places. And sometimes you can catch some very interesting conversations going on behind someone's back, that would never get on the air.

Al

I'm in the same boat as voomvoom. If there is a hockey game on, I'm there :)

but to answer your question
SBS has alot of sports feeds
AMC5 has both sports & news feeds
AMC2 is mainly sports feeds
IA8 has some sports feeds
G11 has both

AMC2 is tough here in MN due to the footprint so that was a no brainer to put on the T90 since its a bigger dish.

I'm in the same boat as voomvoom. If there is a hockey game on, I'm there :)

but to answer your question
SBS has alot of sports feeds
AMC5 has both sports & news feeds
AMC2 is mainly sports feeds
IA8 has some sports feeds
G11 has both

AMC2 is tough here in MN due to the footprint so that was a no brainer to put on the T90 since its a bigger dish.

Are you able to Blind scan IA-8?

My traxis 3500 ends up brain farting when scanning IA-8

No problems with the Coolsat

The Pansat I delete all TP’s first, then blind scan. IA8 has some data channels that will bog down a Pansat so I scan the satellite and get the TP’s then usually I manually scan them after the blind scan found them :D

Tony, I know your Pansat is an older model, but is the remote the same as the 3500? If so, the buttons at the bottom of the remote, that look like they belong to a DVR or tape player, in the top row, left side, the one like this: << , if you press it while on a DATA TP (or any TP) it will move on to the next one. Don't know if you are aware of this or not.

Al

Do feeds appear of soccer matches ? Are any of them from Europe ?

PS Iceberg - All the sats you mention are east of 93W. Do the feeds follow that pattern, or do those just happen to be the ones that you tend to look at ?

Tony, I know your Pansat is an older model, but is the remote the same as the 3500? If so, the buttons at the bottom of the remote, that look like they belong to a DVR or tape player, in the top row, left side, the one like this: << , if you press it while on a DATA TP (or any TP) it will move on to the next one. Don't know if you are aware of this or not.

Al

Al
The 1500 remote looks the same as the 2500 remote which doesnt have any DVR type buttons on it

But the Pansat 5000 does so I might have to try that next time I blind scan

But no I was not aware of that. thanks for the tip :)

Attachments

• ec_2.jpg
    ec_2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 149
Do feeds appear of soccer matches ? Are any of them from Europe ?
I know of some on C-Band

PS Iceberg - All the sats you mention are east of 93W. Do the feeds follow that pattern, or do those just happen to be the ones that you tend to look at ?

they tend to follow that pattern. West of 93 there really isn't much. 103 has news feeds

I know G10 will have feeds of ganmes from Hawaii or Alaska.

temp channels

82 degrees is good to check on occasion (circular lnb) and 110
degrees just scrambled two atlanta fta networks yesterday.

For me, any satellite with a wild feed of a hockey game. Of course I like other sports too, but I love my hockey! Of course I can usually find something interesting when I scan, such as a News Reporter applying make-up while watching the monitor and making hilarious faces. Or perhaps another one picking his nose, or scratching himself in unmentionable places. And sometimes you can catch some very interesting conversations going on behind someone's back, that would never get on the air.

Al

Yes, I have seen this several times. If they only knew!

I found a college football game once with 5 different camera angles. The audio was the same on all 5 feeds, so I could switch back and forth and get different views than were being broadcast out on TBS where the game was on my DirecTv. There was a lag though, and even when TBS was on the same feed I was on the audio and video were not exactly in time which has to do with transmission time to and from space I'm sure.

BTW, instead of temporary channels, the dish fans call them "wild feeds". Not that I am coming down on you, but, just wanted you to know what we all call them. :)

One of the things that first interested me in fta was reading about feeds of shows without commercials. I always wanted a BUD so I could see these. When I started learning about KU band, smaller dishes I hoped that I'd find some of the same sort of thing. I haven't yet and really have no idea if it exists or how to find out. There are websites devoted to listing C band weekly feeds like the show "24" but I haven't found one yet for KU. Does that mean that you can only find sports and news feeds?

I am interested in that as well. Is there any kind of "FTA TV Guide"? It would make FTA much more usable for TV watching (as opposed to just hobbyist use) if you had a guide. I also thing some kind of guide would help me justify buying a PVR of some sort!

avg1joe - I'm not sure what you are looking for. Are you looking to watch the shows commercial-free ? Then get a DVR, and just click the 30-second skip-ahead.
As far as the subject of this thread, Ku seems to be used for feeds of news and sports. The actual transmissions of programming to affiliates are on C-Band (and/or are encrypted).
randomq - what programming are you talking about ?
Ku consists of:
- Feeds (the subject of this thread) which come and go
- International channels
- Educatoinal channels
- Religious channels
- Local channels
those four types of channels sometimes have program schedules on their web sites (if you can read persian...)

I am interested in that as well. Is there any kind of "FTA TV Guide"? It would make FTA much more usable for TV watching (as opposed to just hobbyist use) if you had a guide. I also thing some kind of guide would help me justify buying a PVR of some sort!

One thing I have done is after scanning G10R, I wrote down all the RTN channels that I like (which are the English language ones, but there are many). Then, you can goto TitanTv and build your own grid and use that for some of your FTA viewing.

Other than that, the fun part of FTA is scanning and re-scanning and re-scanning several different birds. Doing this in the afternoon and evening will often find news feeds which really aren't that interesting most of the time because you don't see the lead-in to know what is being reported on. But, especially on weekends you can find the sports feeds. That can be really fun.

Thanks glen4cindy. I did not know you could do that with TitanTV!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Just a little more help with setup for motor and lnb

Twinhan crashes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts