Sci-Fi HD...when can we watch?

You're a "Johnny come lately", bought my first HD set November of 1998. The tuner was separate, it cost $1500. There have been many HD purchases since. Worth every penny. But then again, to each his own.

Last edited:
This is precisely why I have not bought an HD set yet. Why go through the headache of having an expensive HD set and then not have the programming that you want? So many people on this board and others refuse to watch SD programming because SD looks horrible on an HD set. BUT SD look fine on an SD set. And there is a lot of good programming that is not in HD. So considering that the majority of programming is still in SD, why go through the heartache? I am not sweating the fact that WWE is not going to be in HD for Dish subs before the desired time. WWE will look just fine on my SD 32" set. So right now, I'm not going to pay more money for more stress and disappointment of wanting more HD. Once all channels go to true HD, then I'll buy an HD set and I bet by then they will be a lot cheaper.

I'm not criticizing those who do have HD and don't have the programming that they want. I am just stating that this is why I haven't jumped into the HD boat yet.

I respect this opinion! I watch HD and SD on my HDTV and while I would rather watch everything in HD, the SD is not as bad as a lot of folks would have you believe. Initially, the wow factor of HD makes you "hate" SD, but once that wears off, SD is just that--SD. I'm not going to not watch a program I like just because it is not in HD, even though I would like it if it was!

I respect this opinion! I watch HD and SD on my HDTV and while I would rather watch everything in HD, the SD is not as bad as a lot of folks would have you believe. Initially, the wow factor of HD makes you "hate" SD, but once that wears off, SD is just that--SD. I'm not going to not watch a program I like just because it is not in HD, even though I would like it if it was!

Exactly. I'd like to have more HD to watch, but I'll watch SD just as well. I prefer the PQ of HD but won't avoid watching something just because it's in SD-only.

Yep sorry guys, your right. I was thinking of Lost and not BSG when I said Jan. Well then I hope sci-fiHD is ready to roll by March :)

Nto sure what you're viewing your HD on, but I have had HD for 3 years now and watch less and less SD. I am virtually down to Nip Tuck as it and hate Dish for not doing FX HD. I am actually so anti-SD that I will probably pass the rest of Nip Tuck and wait for the BluRay release of it next summer. I find the SD channels to be flat and fuzzy.

SD Channels are flat and fuzzy, compared to HD, obviously. But the fact remains that there is a lot of people including myself, that is going to watch programming for the entire content, not just picture quality. If that was true the VOOM channels would be the most popular channels on Dish right now.

I can't stand SD anymore, but i grin and bear it...hoping HD versions will be added soon...and will be taking E* up on the HD pack...dumping the SD...well...after Sci fi is HD

As long as SD is in it's original aspect ratio, it isnt THAT bad. It sucks when it gets put through the stretch-o-vision machine.

Also sd looks different on different hd tvs. My 2 hdtvs up-convert the sd signals.It is not as nice as the hd signal,but better than most lower end hd tvs. I did pay for this feature though!

Torchwood in sd is on BBC America not SciFi. I will wait the extra couple of weeks for the hd version on HDNet unless I get restless and just get the UK version earlier.

You might be better off with the UK version anyway. I watched the UK version of HEX and there were some scenes that were cut from the US release (it was a bit "hotter").

Does anyone know if Torchwood is being chopped for the US release ?

I watched the whole thing on BBCA last season. I checked out one episode on HDnet to see what the difference was (other than picture quality, obviously.) HDnet didn't censor any language, and they didn't censor a rear nude shot of Gwen's boyfriend. Since I only watched one episode, I don't know if there were any scenes that were deleted entirely in the BBCA version.

HDnet carries both a lightly-censored and uncensored version of Art Mann Presents, depending on the time of day it airs. Since they're advertising the second season of Torchwood as airing at 7 PM, I wonder what the censorship policy will be for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts