Scored some Viewsat 9000HD stb's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

McGuyver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Nuclear Testing Grounds
Does anybody here know anything about this box and the blind scan functions with the turbo 8psk board?

I bought a couple of used VS 9k HD boxes for less than $170 bucks for both on ebay and both are in very nice condition and I noticed they both were wiped clean and had the latest factory f/w and a fresh slate. the factory f/w is or was v1.33 but the blind scan didn't work worth a crap, I tested the box with and without the turbo board and no go so I installed the latest hackware available with the new GUI and tested with and without the 8psk and now the blind scan works either way but it seems to miss some channels so I rescan one or two more times and it eventually picks 'em up, no big deal. One thing I noticed is that the captured frequencies are in the 6000 range, like 6146, 6100 and so on but the channels still work, really strange.

So I factory defaulted and manually input the TP's and scanned individually and it works as expected. Seems like when ever I search for info on this stb all I find is hacker forums and everything revolves around hacking DN & BEV, I want true FTA info from experienced hacke... errrr...uh... user's who have tested this box in true FTA.

I'm aware that the 8psk turbo board is designed for hackin' DN only and it's the same board as the one used in the Pansat 9000 & 9200 but it has a small interface board to work in the Viewsat 9000 HD.

I was wondering if this 8psk turbo board has any other benefit or functionality with true FTA when used with the hackware?, I can't imagine it working with the factory f/w. Don't misunderstand me now, I'm not asking about hacking cuz I know it isn't working now, this is why the hackers are selling 'em but I just want to know if I keep the hackware installed for blind scan functionality, should I keep the board installed also or should I leave it out? The blind scan menu settings have been altered to include "TURBO" and "TURBO8" besides the standard "DVB" and "DVBS2" modes.

Any ideas on the best usage of f/w and hardware and any other suggestions?
This box appears to be quite stable and functioning very well, it doesn't have the video quality that the Pansat 9200HD has but it's very reliable in comparison.

Thanks in advance Guy's :cool:

I bought a couple of used VS 9k HD boxes

Been down this path - I thought this box with it's S2 and HD capability would be worth checking out, and I did the same thing you did. Sorry to report that I was terribly wrong.

At best, it's a half decent OTA unit. In that regard it's a lot better than the Humax STB I was dealing with prior. What a sorry POS that Humax was compared to a degenerate thieving box. The biggest problem is this receiver is designed to receive two particular flavors of video encoding: MPEG2 used by OTA broadcasters, and MPEG2 used by Dish Network. Anything else (and there is a lot out there - decoded fine with other receivers) is choppy, freezing, without audio, and causes the 9K to reboot itself.

On to your specific questions...

Does anybody here know anything about this box and the blind scan functions with the turbo 8psk board?

It doesn't blind scan, with or without that board, with or without the hackware. The definition of "blind" might be better reserved for the people who implemented this particular blind scan, because they are idiots. (Do I sound bitter yet?)

the factory f/w is or was v1.33 but the blind scan didn't work worth a crap, ...so I installed the latest hackware ... with and without the 8psk and now the blind scan works either way but it seems to miss some channels

I find no difference between hackware and "factory firmware" in terms of blind scan. (They're one in the same, anyway.) If you want a decent blind scan a Coolsat is the way to go. If you want a comprehensive blind scan, find yourself a spectrum analyzer.

I was wondering if this 8psk turbo board has any other benefit or functionality ... when used with the hackware? ... The blind scan menu settings have been altered to include "TURBO" and "TURBO8" ...

Well, it does allow you to lock and view unencrypted channels encoded in the TURBO modes. I am unaware of any that remain, but several have popped up now and again over the last year.

Anole, I want the same PM you sent to McGuyver, please ;)

One note: The 9000 does lock S2, contrary to what I believe I've read here in the past, but I have yet to view associated video. So there may be at least one additional redeeming quality that I will investigate, eventually.

Thanks Downlink for the facts, if it makes any difference, these are the version 2 boxes with the internal cooling fan. And with the turbo board removed there's minimal heat, therefore much better stability. The blind scan seems to be the only issue with this box and I do have other boxes as well, I have a Coolsat and a Pansat 9200HD that blind scan quite well. These Viewsats are basically toys and backups plus I thought to put one in my hobby/test room with a PVR. I have yet to test the PVR function.

And Anole actually told me the same thing you already have. I thought that maybe somebody had some constructive solution or work-around concerning the blind scan glitches. With the factory f/w it wouldn't pick up anything with blind scan, it now works with the hackware installed but stumbles on a few channels. I haven't noticed any audio outage until I used the channel editor but it seems to only effect the TP 11842 channels on 97W. A really strange glitch was that one channel was actually another. It had the correct PID's and channel title but was another channel when selected, so I just deleted those channels and manually scanned 'em back and it's fine now. For the money I spent I think they're fine. I'm still waiting for the brand new Nfusion Solaris that I bought for $45.99 shipped. it should be here in a few days :D

BTW, the only reviews and complaints I found on the Viewsat 9000HD were posted by pirates on other websites. I'd like to hear comments from other's who have used them for true FTA only, there's a big diff between the two.

One note: The 9000 does lock S2, contrary to what I believe I've read here in the past, but I have yet to view associated video. So there may be at least one additional redeeming quality that I will investigate, eventually.

I meant to ask you Downlink, do you know if it locks S2 with or without the Turbo module or does it make any diff? I read some reviews and they said it does right out of the box without the Turbo but then I don't know if it had a factory module of any kind when it was new. The back panel has two holes and it looks like there's been a nut on both, it leads me to believe there was a factory module with an "in" 'n "out" connector. The Turbo only has the one input connector, the other hole is blank.

Another thought I had, the module is an "illuminati" board, the identical one Pansat 9000 & 9200's use but the Viewsat has the little interface adaptor board that changes the circuitry a bit. So, the Pansat has the DVB-S2 Plus module that is Blind Scan enabled, I thought it would be cool if Pansat's S2 Plus module would work in the Viewsat but I suppose the firmware would have to be re-written for it.

Do you have any info about whether these Viewsat's came with a factory module installed?

Thanks

CRAP! I had a nice reply all typed up and it looks like the server or my internet connection took a break right as I clicked post. I lost the original, but here is the gist:

It locks S2 without the module. I don't remember trying with the module. In general, I don't use it. I am currently running non-hackware, so it doesn't work anyway.

A quick search suggests you are correct, the "second gen" units came with something installed in that spot. Apparently everyone took whatever it was out to replace it with the hack card. Also, I don't have a fan, it only has one hole, and it arrived with the card already installed. (The hole is labeled "Reserved for UHF remote" - a thinly veiled attempt at maintaining a legal facade. Haha!)

actually we are having some issues with the site here where it has frozen up. Scott is aware of it and has been working on it all day

top of the page has the scroll

Just a heads up, we are continuing to work on our servers in order to stabilize the performance. Thank you for your patience!

Ah no trouble. I didn't notice the scroll but I am aware of the ongoing maintenance. I'm more disappointed with myself for not copying the text of my post quick enough when I realized it was going to fail.

CRAP! I had a nice reply all typed up and it looks like the server or my internet connection took a break right as I clicked post. I lost the original, but here is the gist:

It locks S2 without the module. I don't remember trying with the module. In general, I don't use it. I am currently running non-hackware, so it doesn't work anyway.

A quick search suggests you are correct, the "second gen" units came with something installed in that spot. Apparently everyone took whatever it was out to replace it with the hack card. Also, I don't have a fan, it only has one hole, and it arrived with the card already installed. (The hole is labeled "Reserved for UHF remote" - a thinly veiled attempt at maintaining a legal facade. Haha!)

You're a winner, I like how you put it so eloquently... it drives me nuts that I can't find any info, legal info that is, about this stb. everything I find revolves around hack. and as you mentioned, I can't find any info on a factory module either. that's why I started this thread seeking info, any info I can get. I was sort of hoping there was a trick to using the Turbo for legal use

Viewsat

You're a winner, I like how you put it so eloquently... it drives me nuts that I can't find any info, legal info that is, about this stb. everything I find revolves around hack. and as you mentioned, I can't find any info on a factory module either. that's why I started this thread seeking info, any info I can get. I was sort of hoping there was a trick to using the Turbo for legal use

Over the past couple of weeks, trying to resolve one issue or another it has caused me to do a lot of research. Some of this research lead me from one site to another. During these searchs it was pretty clear that Viewsat was prolly if by rating 1~10 the #1 for hack boxes. Just do several googles and see what name pops up the most, it will surprise you or not. That maybe why Mcguyver, you can not locate an actual Legal info regarding the Viewsat. It might be why normal features found on Viewsat receivers either do not work correctly or have been left out entirely when compaired to other Actual FTA receivers.

Just food for thought, I have no idea basically, I am basing my comments on my findings over the past couple of weeks which just leads to my opinion which is like apples. Just do a few googles and you'll see what I mean! Heck Type in another brandname and I would bet you an apple Viewsat will be right there some where! LOL :)

I agree Ironsides, I bet that's why there's been so many of these VS models on eBay lately and the prices are fair. If we review the last 5 years or so we see more stb's this way. the manufacterers are cutting corners to cater to piracy. I have more to share about this stb but I have to take a break for a while, can't stay awake. I will catch up later Bro

Update about the factory module, there's a listing on eBay for a VS9KHD with the 8psk Turbo board installed that is like new, comes with the original box, manual AND the factory module (not installed). It's a little pricey but you get everything. I would like to find just the factory module sold separately. I wonder where they all went?

I tested this box on some S2 stuff. I found that I could lock an S2 signal that didn't need a pilot setting. There was a couple of S2 signals I know of that didn't have pilot, but they were 4:2:2. Anything else that required a pilot it wouldn't lock, but my Azbox would.

Also, to lock an S2 signal the turbo 8psk board must be turned off in the firmware, and you need a hackware firmware to make use of it. At least, that's my experience.

I tested this box on some S2 stuff. I found that I could lock an S2 signal that didn't need a pilot setting. There was a couple of S2 signals I know of that didn't have pilot, but they were 4:2:2. Anything else that required a pilot it wouldn't lock, but my Azbox would.

Also, to lock an S2 signal the turbo 8psk board must be turned off in the firmware, and you need a hackware firmware to make use of it. At least, that's my experience.

I've been trying to get this box to lock any S2 sig and can't, I was thinking the same thing as you posted concerning the pilot because there is no setting for the pilot. without the option to choose it seemed it may require the factory module to be fully functional and I don't have a factory module, it may be crippled without one. I can't find any legal info about the Fact'/module either.

I found that I could lock an S2 signal that didn't need a pilot setting.

Thank you for the clarification. I've no way to distinguish those signals; the few that I tried must have coincidentally been the correct type. (And probably 4:2:2 as well since I never saw video).

The 9k is missing some of the FEC rates available to S2 as well.

I'd suggest all of these problems with S2 make it worthless for that purpose.

My experience was the blind scan was completely worthless. I don't even attempt it anymore. It also has problems with high bit rate feeds.

If I'm missing anything with this secret pm going around, I'd appreciate the info:)

If I'm missing anything with this secret pm going around, I'd appreciate the info:)

No, you're not. I wasn't thinking, where Anole preferred discretion, and stated the information openly. It seems we had the same idea at the same time but handled it differently. :D

I have a request for all you who have posted here. I've been trying to distinguish the usages of this stb concerning the Turbo board in question AND the factory tuner module in comparison. I would like to know which tuner module you tested with, being either the 8psk Turbo board or the Factory board OR without any board. It will really help me to know which one was used in relation to your posted results.

I reiterate the question if any board is neccessary for any such functions to work.
I suspect the Factory tuner module may be the missing link for this to work correctly.
Any thoughts or valuable info to contribute? Thanks to all :D

The turbo board is only for DVB-S turbo QPSK (I've read this but haven't confirmed this) and turbo 8PSK.

Factory tuner #1 is DVB-S2 capable but requires hackware to lock a signal and even then won't work with a signal that on another receiver would have the pilot on. This tuner will not lock DVB-S turbo coded FECs.

The factory tuner #2 is DVB-S QPSK only.

Found some info...

I found some info and photos of the two types of tuner modules used in this Viewsat 9000HD. One receiver I bought had the factory tuner, the other had the Turbo module. Both were described as 8psk modules but I had no idea of the difference. I thought that both were one of the same kind but after searching and finding this info I realized that I had the factory module all along in one of my receivers. I attached pics of the modules illustrated online and a pic of my two modules which I removed from my stb's. My guess must be correct to think that the receiver is crippled without the factory module. From what the descriptions say, it looks like the receiver (without a add-on module) is only capable of MPEG2 and with either module is capable of MPEG4. These are my conclusions and if I'm wrong please let me know.

Here are the specs of each module:

Ref: Factory_Module
Viewsat 9000HD 8PSK Module HW-DVB012 (Factory Tuner)
•Model:HW-DVB012
Name:Viewsat 9000HD 8PSK Module
•The 8psk is the Sub-Board Adapter/8psk Module HD Upgrade Kit. Made in Korea.
•Included is the Q Board, Ribbon Cable, Power Cable and 7 inch RG6 coax cable.
For an upgrade HD Experience, this unit is a must.
Available free to air HD Channels:
G26 (93` W)- 3820 H 29124 Equity Mux (25 Channels) (Need 10ft antenna to get enough quality level and scan)
G14 (125` W)- 4060 V 30000 NBC Universal (3 Channels) (Need 6ft antenna)
4080 H 30000 CNBC HD+ (1 Channel) (Need 10ft antenna)

Ref: Illuminati_Turbo_Board
Viewsat 9000HD 8PSK Module HW-DVB016 (Illuminati Turbo Tuner)
Model:HW-DVB016
Name:V3 8PSK MODULE FOR VIEWSAT 9000HD PANSAT 9200HD 9000 HD
Features:
The ILLUMINATI Board Version 3
Works for both the Viewsat 9000HD AND Pansat 9200HD!!!!All units undergo quality control to ensure they are working prior to shipping. Package includes:

Brand New Test ILLUMINATI Board V.3 - Tuner board
2 Ribbon Cables
2 Power Cables - 1 for 9000HD and 1 for 9200HD
1 Interface adapter for 9000HD
1 Foam Piece
1 Coax Cable

EDIT: I will be reinstalling the factory module to test the scanning functions, will report later.

Attachments

• HW-DVB012_lg.jpg
    HW-DVB012_lg.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 371
  • HW-DVB016.jpg
    HW-DVB016.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Tuner module comparison.JPG
    Tuner module comparison.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)