Scored times two today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n2hyo

Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Hello all, i'm kinda new to this still but learning and having fun. I scored an Andrew/Channel Master 1m dish, and a 30" with a directv lnb on it today.

I have seen from the boards here that the andrews make good FTA dishes, i have the andrew feedhorn which is c120 i guess it is called,and from
what i see if i remove the norsat 4508a lnb and put on a invacom snf-031 i should be good to go. Has onyone done this or does it sound right to you?

The Norsat from what i have gathered is more for data reception from sats than for tv use. Anyone want it?

Thanks Mike

sounds good

The 1m Channel Master ought to do a great job.
Reusing the original feedhorn is generally considered wise, especially for elliptical dishes.
For round ones, I don't know.
As long as your Invacom isn't outrageously priced, that's fine.
The popular QPF-031 costs quite a bit.

You might also pass that old LNB down the foodchain.
I'm sure someone can use it on a BUD.

Very nice n2hyo! :up

Let us know when you have one or both BIS (Back In Service).

The norsat 4508a lnb will work with a BUD (C-Band) but I am guessing this is going to be an all KU setup!

Keep us posted on the refurbish and post some pictures if you can! We all enjoy seeing them afterwards and working for what we want to use dishes like this for!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

n2 that norsat should be a good lnb for digital video. Google the model number and you can find a lot of info on it, one place I found was called servsat.com. ".08 degree ku lnb, 500khz stability,if its not damaged it may work just fine. I downloaded a pdf on it, and it doesn't say anything about being single polarity. Point the dish at a satellite and try it before chucking it.
:edit, and yes you could put it on a C-120 flange KU feedhorn on a BUD dish if you wanted. I found a feedhorn with servo on it from Dave Fant in Ark (daveswebshop.com)

You will probably want to replace the Norsat, here's why: This is a single polarity setup, so the Norsat will only be able to get one polarity (either H or V, depending on how you twist the feedhorn). If you remove the Norsat LNB and attached waveguide (see attached picture), you will be left with the C-120-flanged feedhorn. You can mount any C-120-flanged LNB to the feedhorn directly. The Invacom QPF will work, but a far cheaper solution would be either a Hughes DirecWay LNB or the bandstacked FSS LNB from a Dish Network Superdish.

Attachments

• FeedAssembly.jpg
    FeedAssembly.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 174
Thanks for straightening me out on that one Tron! I wonder=does having that waveguide on it make it into a single polarity? If so, looks like you could just remove it (?) I haven't lucked onto one of those setups to study yet.

Thanks for straightening me out on that one Tron! I wonder=does having that waveguide on it make it into a single polarity? If so, looks like you could just remove it (?) I haven't lucked onto one of those setups to study yet.
Turbo, I replaced the original single polarity LNB on my CM dish with a Hughes C120. When I first installed it with the wave guide in place it didn't seem to work very well, although it did get both polarities. I then measured the the distance to the pin inside both LNBs and determined that with the waveguide the focal distance was not the same as without it, as compared to the stock LNB, so I installed the new one without the waveguide in place and it improved things immensely.

Attachments

• PrimeStarLNBac_1.JPG
    PrimeStarLNBac_1.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 157
  • PrimestarHornDishFSSlnb.jpg
    PrimestarHornDishFSSlnb.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 147

That little piece of waveguide is an impedance transformer to adapt the round waveguide of the C120 flange to the rectangular waveguide of the WR75 flange...has nothing to do with polarity, as the LNB only has a single probe for a single polarity.

The Norsat is single polarity only. As ACRadio said, you have to remove the waveguide to attach a C-120-flanged LNB.

I love my new dish, got the new 1m andrew mounted today with a Dish stacked FSS lnb and all i can say is i want another 1m. Went from Q10 on a 33" to Q99.
Almost hard to believe it made that much difference actually. I am getting 45 channels with leaving th LO at 10750 and blind scanning V only. Does this sound
about right to everyone?

Think i will repoing the 33" to IA5 and call it a day and watch some tv.

That makes a nice difference in signal strength! I guess you meant Galaxy18 v-side that you are scanning? If so, that is about right, most of the channels on that sat are on the vertical side.
Thanks to ACRadio and others for the info on these single polarity lnbs, still lots to learn about
satellite tv!

Yea your got it, Galaxy 18. The old 33" may have needed abit of alignment too but i would have to say the 1m almost doubled the Q, getting about 50% now on IA-5 with the 33",
it was 99% when i first tested it on AI-5 this morning before pointing it at Galaxy 18.

I got my eye on another 1m on top of a vacant building, but the property owner is a bit of a turd so i doubt i can get it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Where am I?

PBS NRT Feed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)