Scott's DirecTV Diary Comments

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hope I get the black ones. All my other components except the Xbox 360 are black

I did not know that, I thought all the -100's were Black ....

OK guy's, if thats the case, what advantages or disadvantages would there be in getting a 100 over a 700 ?

I think if I don't get a Black one, I would want another 700 if there are no other plusses for the 100.

Jimbo

Earl has a thread about the differences at DBSTalk. Basically they are functionally the same. The -100 is a bit smaller, I believe a slightly larger hard drive (320 vs 300) and has 2 (?) ethernet ports for some reason. Same software although the -100 is typically a week or 2 behind in national releases and isn't in the CE program yet.

There were limited number of -100s in black.

-100 Thompson/RCA
-700 Pace

I am getting a -100. I bought it on ebay and not through D* thats why I know. The one pictured was silver so I am assuming it will be. I am tracking it on UPS so its expected to arrive tomorrow. I went cheap and went with the slow ground delivery.

It was $219 and I didnt have to go through D* was the reason. I dont know if I have a preference one way or another. Bummed the new GUI is not avail on the -100 yet but I bet it wont be long. I think the latest CE is pretty darn good not just the GUI but trick play, channel changing and navigation are much better.

I am getting a -100. I bought it on ebay and not through D* thats why I know. The one pictured was silver so I am assuming it will be. I am tracking it on UPS so its expected to arrive tomorrow. I went cheap and went with the slow ground delivery.

It was $219 and I didnt have to go through D* was the reason. I dont know if I have a preference one way or another. Bummed the new GUI is not avail on the -100 yet but I bet it wont be long. I think the latest CE is pretty darn good not just the GUI but trick play, channel changing and navigation are much better.

I will more than likely get a silver as well, that being the case, I'll stick with a -700, if Black is not an option for me.

Jimbo

Does the ethernet ports work on these boxes? The reason I ask is that I don't have a landline phone and was wondering how you would get the updates. Right now I dial through my internet with PPoE

Does the ethernet ports work on these boxes? The reason I ask is that I don't have a landline phone and was wondering how you would get the updates. Right now I dial through my internet with PPoE

The R15/H20/HR20 do not get any updates via the phone line, they're all done over the satellite. The only reason you need a phone line is to order PPV or other stuff via the box, and D* says for mirroring reasons all boxes are to be connected to the same phone line.

The HR20's ethernet port is enabled and you can play MP3's and view JPEG's from a home PC connected to the network with the proper software on the PC. Soon the ethernet port will also be used to download Video On Demand content to the HR20.

The R15/H20/HR20 do not get any updates via the phone line, they're all done over the satellite. The only reason you need a phone line is to order PPV or other stuff via the box, and D* says for mirroring reasons all boxes are to be connected to the same phone line.

The HR20's ethernet port is enabled and you can play MP3's and view JPEG's from a home PC connected to the network with the proper software on the PC. Soon the ethernet port will also be used to download Video On Demand content to the HR20.

They may say you need it hooked to a phone line but they don't enforce it because I haven't had a hard line in 3 years.

They may say you need it hooked to a phone line but they don't enforce it because I haven't had a hard line in 3 years.
I know, just wanted to say the 'official' line about the phone. It is nice to have a phone line there if you have called ID service since the HR20 has CID in it, something I missed in the old D* Tivo's.

Look for my "One Week with DirecTV" update tommorow :)

I am going to give you my honest thoughts and opinions about DirecTV after having it for one week. :D

Look for my "One Week with DirecTV" update tommorow :)

I am going to give you my honest thoughts and opinions about DirecTV after having it for one week. :D

Good, I was wondering when we were going to hear something once your HBO/Showtime issues were fixed. Should be an interesting read.

Earl has a thread about the differences at DBSTalk. Basically they are functionally the same. The -100 is a bit smaller, I believe a slightly larger hard drive (320 vs 300) and has 2 (?) ethernet ports for some reason. Same software although the -100 is typically a week or 2 behind in national releases and isn't in the CE program yet.

There were limited number of -100s in black.

-100 Thompson/RCA
-700 Pace

Same disk size, I got in HR20-700 Seagate 320 GB as other owners with WD model.

I have Packet8 and it hasn't worked so I guess I will wait to see if these boxes act different.

Packet8 doesn't work with much. I remember when I had Packet8 it would have problems feeding caller ID to my regular phones.

CallerID works great on satellite receivers with VoicePulse though.

There aren't much choices where I live that have local numbers for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)