screen display question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cruzin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
michigan
I have a question about tv viewing resolution. I recently bought a digital tv when analog left the air. Not a high dollar one but it will do 1080. I think. Anyway before getting the new tv all tv kink of looked the same. Now I when I watch OTA broadcasts it clear and bright and when I go back to c band or ku it does not look as good. My son told me its because the satellite receivers only display 480 (cs5000) . I hope Im getting all these numbers and terms right.
Anyway if I upgrade to something like a sathawk PVR800 or coolsat 8000 hd which will do 1080 will I get a good viewable picture? thanks for any clues

OTA broadcast looks the best for 1080 content as they are not usually compressed. With a old fta receiver you are only getting 480 resolution. A new HD capable receiver will allow you to get the HD channels which look great. Even better than my cable as far as I am concerned. But most channels are still only 480 but some receivers will up-convert the picture to 1080, not sure if coolsat 8000 or SatHawk HD PRV800 do upconversion of video.

Comparing OTA & FTA in most cases is apples to oranges. Compare a FTA broadcast to a 480 OTA pic (usually a SD subchanel)

The Sathawk & Coolsat (and azbox) will not upconvert.

I just checked and no matter what you have the output set for that is what your HDTV shows. So right now the sathawk is set to 720p my HDTV shows 720p regardless of channel. If I switch the sathawk to 480i then the HDTV shows that. The program may say 720p but the TV isnt showing that

Last edited:
The connections from your satellite receiver to your TV may improve your picture. How are you connecting the satellite reeiver to your tv? In general, the connections from best to worst are....
HDMI
Conponent (blue, green, red)
s-video
composite (yellow)
RF (channel 3 or 4)
If you have another option of connection, try it. Sometimes for a 480 picture, you see too much detail which makes the picture look worse to your eye.

I use the composite on most receivers, s video on some. At present I do not have any HDMI output receivers.

The only receiver of the three you posted that has SVideo is the CS8000
The other two are European receivers and dont have svideo ;)

Iceberg,

It is very easy to get an adapter to hookup to the SCART output on the receiver and get S-Video and RCA outputs.

cool :) I didnt know they would work that way.

I just found one on Ebay for like 3.25 shipped from the UK. The rest were from Hong Kong or China. So I picked up two of them :)

Jamal you should carry some if you are going to continue to carry the Sathawk ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)