Scripps Stations Tucson OTA Guide Data

generj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
When Scripps Pulled the ABC and CW satellite feeds, I still had access via OTA. The OTA guide for both stations were accurate until 8/4/20, when the guide for ABC (9.1) mistakenly displayed the guide data for The CW (58.1). On 8/19/20, I called Tech Support about this issue and I was told that OTA data was not provided by Dish but by the station. (It would seem that if that was the case, none of the OTA stations would be showing digital service but actual guide data .)

Can someone validate the info that I received from Dish Tech Support?

Thanks

Tech Support and CSs have little to no knowledge of oTA and the guide data. they have pased onalot of misinformation.

Reactions: TheKrell
Stations send the guide data to Rovi, Rovi sells it to Dish who tries to put it into a usable format but often comes up short.
If Dish does not carry the channel or sub channel via satellite they often do not populate the data to the guide.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
When Scripps Pulled the ABC and CW satellite feeds, I still had access via OTA. The OTA guide for both stations were accurate until 8/4/20, when the guide for ABC (9.1) mistakenly displayed the guide data for The CW (58.1). On 8/19/20, I called Tech Support about this issue and I was told that OTA data was not provided by Dish but by the station. (It would seem that if that was the case, none of the OTA stations would be showing digital service but actual guide data .)

Thanks
Did you re-scan your OTA locals on 8/4/20? Your description sounds like the issue with Dish-delivered (yes, it is delivered by Dish) OTA guide data when two OTA stations are sharing the same frequency. The guide data for the host station will get mapped to both OTA stations in the guide. So, it sounds like your market's ABC station is now being broadcast by the CW station after the OTA repack. Does your CW station still have the correct OTA guide data on 58.1?

Stations send the guide data to Rovi, Rovi sells it to Dish who tries to put it into a usable format but often comes up short.
If Dish does not carry the channel or sub channel via satellite they often do not populate the data to the guide.
Yes I did a rescan for locals as well as a reboot of the 722K. Guide data for 58.1 is correct.

Reactions: pattykay
Looks like Dish added some of the stations back because of the storms this week

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Thanks
Hi Generj,

Just wondering if the Guide issue with KGUN 9.1 was ever resolved. I live in the Catalina Foothills (Tucson - 85718), and have had the same problem for many months.

Regards,

Scott Katsinas

Hi Generj,

Just wondering if the Guide issue with KGUN 9.1 was ever resolved. I live in the Catalina Foothills (Tucson - 85718), and have had the same problem for many months.

Regards,

Scott Katsinas
Data has been correct since 8/20

Data has been correct since 8/20
Hi Generj:

Glad you were able to resolve the Guide display of KGUN 9 programming. Unfortunately, mine is still listing 58.1 The CW, and has for over 2 years.

No one at Dish has a clue how to resolve it. They just run me through troubleshooting items off a check-list, and send reports upstairs, but no one gets back to me, and nothing changes.

As we are both in Tucson and had the exact same issue, I am curious how your situation was resolved. Feel free to call me, if you wish.

Regards,

Scott Katsinas (520) 471-9666

Thanks
I have called in the past to report incorrect guide data. I initially thought they wod want yo know. I received the same answer that it comes from the local stations. I was alo told that x.0 and x.1 are totally different vstations and i should not expect the guide data to be the same. I got the same answers when i asked for a supervisor.

These are obviously standard answers. DISH simply is not interested in solving OTA issues or dealing honestly with customers on this matter.

Hi Generj:

Glad you were able to resolve the Guide display of KGUN 9 programming. Unfortunately, mine is still listing 58.1 The CW, and has for over 2 years.

No one at Dish has a clue how to resolve it. They just run me through troubleshooting items off a check-list, and send reports upstairs, but no one gets back to me, and nothing changes.

As we are both in Tucson and had the exact same issue, I am curious how your situation was resolved. Feel free to call me, if you wish.

Regards,

Scott Katsinas
You want to do this in PMs. You don't want to advertise your telephone number.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
You want to do this in PMs. You don't want to advertise your telephone number.
Well, now the telephone number needs to be deleted from both skatsinas's post, and from the quote box in your post.

I have called in the past to report incorrect guide data. I initially thought they wod want yo know. I received the same answer that it comes from the local stations. I was alo told that x.0 and x.1 are totally different vstations and i should not expect the guide data to be the same. I got the same answers when i asked for a supervisor.

These are obviously standard answers. DISH simply is not interested in solving OTA issues or dealing honestly with customers on this matter.
Bobby's advice is correct, though. You want to send these notices in PM's, specifically PM's to brittanygarden. That is the Dish Technical Operations member here who is in charge of reporting these OTA guide data issues. More details here:
Please send me a private message with your receiver number and photo of your guide, if possible. Thank you.

Hi everyone. Prior to reaching out regarding your OTA locals, please keep in mind that we are only investigating guide information issues on the 4 major networks. (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX)

Thank you!

Bobby's advice is correct, though. You want to send these notices in PM's, specifically PM's to brittanygarden. That is the Dish Technical Operations member here who is in charge of reporting these OTA guide data issues. More details here:
I think that many of us have done that. But we have either received no reply or one that indicates the problem is not considered serious. The OTA guide data is broken. It could be fixed but the problem does not seem serious enough to justify the effort to fix it. So sometimes we vent here.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think that many of us have done that. But we have either received no reply or one that indicates the problem is not considered serious. The OTA guide data is broken. It could be fixed but the problem does not seem serious enough to justify the effort to fix it. So sometimes we vent here.
Venting is fine and encouraged but it is not good to provide your personal information, like your telephone number in those posts.

brittanygarden has been posting more often lately, and has even Liked some of my posts. :eeek

So, sending another PM may be worth a shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)