Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
Been watching eBeigh for another Toshiba TRX-1820 analog box, got one for less than $20 delivered....not bad, especially considering when I bought my other one brand new in 1995, it was 5 or 6 hundred dollars. :eek:

I bought this "new" one to have a backup, to have a box I can take out to my existing BUD for testing.....and also to be part of my upcoming new BUD project (if I don't go with a G-box at first).

Anyway, I was wondering if I pointed my BUD to a known sat location with my old Toshiba, let's say "G5" (G14 @ 125W), then hook up the "new" Toshiba (which displays "G5" when powered up)......should it move the BUD properly to any satellite location that is has programmed into it?

It appears to have basically the same amount of arc programmed in (87W-137W) so I'm guessing the limits are set pretty close to what I have existing, and I wouldn't try to run it close to either end yet anyway, just in case.

Attachments

• Sat Toshiba TRX-1820 x 2.JPG
    Sat Toshiba TRX-1820 x 2.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 129
the memory is in the receiver so as long as the same location was set it would work

but it would be very hard to get exactly the same position unles your receiver counted in numbers like the g-box/ v-box or 922/920

a work around might be to park the dish all the way west ( or last west sat) and reprogram the new receiver

personally this is why i like the v-box its small & light and if you can find one cheap ( i know that these older receivers are cheap too) its great to have as just a portable dish mover.

the memory is in the receiver so as long as the same location was set it would work

but it would be very hard to get exactly the same position unles your receiver counted in numbers like the g-box/ v-box or 922/920

a work around might be to park the dish all the way west ( or last west sat) and reprogram the new receiver

Thanks for the info gabs, that makes sense. IF there were still lots of 24/7 analog tps on every sat, and IF the "new" receiver would get me close to the correct locations for each sat I could use the autotune/autoskew to lock in the "exact" sat locations.

Bear with me here, I'm pretty ignorant of how this works but....

Am I correct in thinking that both of my receivers have stored in their memories a "count" that was determined by the data that was sent to it from whatever actuator it was setup with.......

.....and that those actuators could have totally different count spacings/numbers/pulse widths, in which case I would definitely need to start over if I was going to try and use the old receiver with my exisiting setup?

And I hear you on the V-Box (G-Box), from what I have seen and heard that's the way to go, was kind of waiting for the new G-Box (with polarity control) to come out and some of you seasoned vets to put one through the paces. :up

Am I correct in thinking that both of my receivers have stored in their memories a "count" that was determined by the data that was sent to it from whatever actuator it was setup with.......

well its partly correct they have memory to store the sat position .... now some may have already been setup & store others may not , kinda depended on the user

.....and that those actuators could have totally different count spacings/numbers/pulse widths, in which case I would definitely need to start over if I was going to try and use the old receiver with my exisiting setup?

the receiver counts the counts from the actuator sensor so you would probably have to start over cause most actuators have different counts but thats ok its doable :) just have to program each sat ( or reset the position if the receiver lets you)

IF there were still lots of 24/7 analog tps on very sat

you can move the dish with the toshiba and watch the dvb receiver for a known live transponder :) like TBN :)

Thank you for the explanation, it's all understood.

I thought about playing around with this but it sounds like I have one of those "if it's not broke.....DON'T MESS WITH IT!!!" deals here, believe I'll just wait until I put together my new setup before I mess with this new receiver.......but I'll have it if I need it for the old setup.

So far, for the new setup I have:

10' Unimesh dish w/polar mount (not a hail ding in it)
Chapparal Corotor w/Cal Amp Mini Mag C-band/Precision 5000 series Ku-band LNBs
24" Saginaw actuator
Toshiba TRX-1820 (until new G-Box appears)
New ribbon cable

Need:

About 12' of 3 1/2" pipe
and enough gumption to dig the post hole and bury the ribbon cable through about 80' of prime Ozarks rocky ground. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts