SES1 Signal Degradation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TvMind

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Montreal
MeTV transponders now noticeably weaker and 'shakier' than we're used to.

With Feed (MeTV2) going HD (?) with 720p test pattern looks like another sign of S2 nonsense.

Why would classic tv shows from 50 years ago need to be encrypted in HD I will never understand.

Nothing wrong with system - everything else the same.

Still curious if others have noticed this.

Still a steady signal for recording/archiving but dangerously close to cutoff with harsh winter on it's way up here.

Was just checking here also. Looks the same as always.

I had a 6' dish on 101W for a time and found there was occasional signal loss on the 3974V TP. It seemed to occur every weekend. I read it was due to a sports uplink or feed from a adjacent satellite. My 10' dish was unaffected when this happened.

Everything solid on all other birds with same setup.

Tried two receivers. This is a ERP issue..signal dropped. no obstructions, system peaked again last summer..blah blah

Anybody up here notice this ?

Not a problem except in severe weather signal gets close to cutoff, and lose signal :( ruining archiving projects !!!

T

I normally have really great signal on METV but occasionally it's weaker. I never lose it though. But that is uplinked from Chicago right? Do you think they might have weather issues there?

Yes NOC is in Chicago but it's dropped from 75 % to 65 % consistently over here and bounces wildly around like DVB S2 signal !!!
This all started when Feeds (MeTV 2) changed test pattern to 720p ... hint ?

Hate these relative terms, has anyone compiled some db scale uV of RF etc instead of these silly 'quality' scales that vary with every receiver.
Microwave RF voltmeter project anybody ?

Maybe my chirping satellite meter..have an old Vu meter one- or did I give that back ?

With Feed (MeTV2) going HD (?) with 720p test pattern looks like another sign of S2 nonsense.
Why would classic tv shows from 50 years ago need to be encrypted in HD I will never understand.
Going to S2 doesn't mean it HD. Just like FM radio, just because it's FM does it mean it's stereo. Could be lowly mono audio. (local sportscast as example)
S2 only packs the signal into less bandwidth, saving bandwidth, and therefore $$$.
system peaked again last summer..blah blah
Doesn't guarantee that it's still peaked. Best time to peak is after the ground freezes, and again in the spring, after it thaws. While the ground freezes and thaws - That's when things 'move'.
Another 'thing' to peak is your feed. Have you adjusted your focal length for Max Q?

Yes I realize S2 doesn't mean HD, but on older lnbs like mine S2 signals are erratic but still very usable.
Interesting about the thawing - if your theory were correct however this would affect ALL tps on ALL satellites not just this one alone.
Yes the f/d was peaked and re-peaked with home-brewed jig and while watching signal level/channel output.

I am not imagining this new lower signal level and erratic transmission - you guys must be using the latest PLL units or something...
Still old school school..maybe I will upgrade one day, just can't justify $500 in new lnbs just to get this one broadcaster.

Btw try -40 C below zero here - no chance of thaw here !

The latest PLL LNBFs are priced right for us tinkerers. Less than $50 for a Ku band PLL LNBF and less than $60 for a C band PLL LNBF now.

Reactions: Jason S
The latest PLL LNBFs are priced right for us tinkerers. Less than $50 for a Ku band PLL LNBF and less than $60 for a C band PLL LNBF now.

Oh? Please enlighten us, the Norsats Ive been looking start at $189 +. Ku is fine here on NJRC unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)