SG 2100 motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Reinhold

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I was thinking about getting an SG2100 motor,because the SM3D12 only turns
50deg.That lets out G10 for me.The specs say it does notbrespond to USALS.Is that the case?That would be a problem for me.
Any trues to that?
Reinhold.

I was thinking about getting an SG2100 motor,because the SM3D12 only turns
50deg.That lets out G10 for me.The specs say it does notbrespond to USALS.Is that the case?That would be a problem for me.
Any trues to that?
Reinhold.

Does your receiver " speak " USALS ?

Wyr

accuracy counts . . .

I was thinking about getting an SG2100 motor, because the SM3D12 only turns 50deg.
That lets out G10 for me.
The specs say it does not respond to USALS. Is that the case?
That would be a problem for me.
Any trues to that?
Reinhold.
I don't know what specs you've been reading, but this page says the SM3D12 gets 95º rotation.
That doesn't mean 95º between birds, as we all know - it depends on where you are.
Do you already have the SM3D12 motor?
And as for USALS, the same page says the SM3D12 -does- support that mode.
There is also a SM3D12 .PDF listed with more details.

Yes, the 2100 swings more (150º total), and if that's the real problem, then by all means get one.

In a month or so, we will be introducing yet another motor that will swing 190º (+/- 85º). It will be a Horizon to Horizon motor indeed. :D

I bought the M1 kit from Sadoun that included the SG2100 motor. As the others have said, it does indeed respond to USALS.

I'm in St. Louis and I cannot get the motor to move to any sat lower than 58 degrees. Nothing much on Ku that low that can be seen from here anyway!

Thanks for all your input.I have the SM3D12 and it only goes 50Deg in either direction and I cannot pick up G10 which is at 51.something.
The SG2100 will probably do fine.
Thanks again,Reinhold.

I too have and love sg2100. If you have a 76 cm winegard, it's an awesome motor. I've heard that for dishes a lot bigger than that it may be too weak...

I use my sg2100 on my 1m winegard, its fine depending on the ird.

my mercury II moves the motor no problem, coolsat 5000 was good too. my dreambox is a little slow, but it does move it. twinhan vp-1020 was patheticly slow, I suspect no where near enough current being sent to the motor for the size of the dish.

more power !

First, let me say that I harbor a strong personal dislike of the SG-2100
I think it's been over-hyped, but probably gets by for most users.

Now, having that out of the way, let me say something good about it (and other light weight motors).
Many receivers and most PCI/USB FTA receivers are power-challenged when it comes to driving a motor.
Users always want more speed.
Users often put too big a load on the motors, causing them to stall.

There is a mod on the MyTheatre forum where a member modified the motor to be powered by an external power supply.
He used 19..22 volts, I believe. Maybe a laptop power supply (?)
Anyway, regardless of whether you were running a V or H transponder, the motor always got a significantly large voltage to do its deal.
This caused less heating in the PCI/USB receivers, and always delivered the higher voltage to run the motor at full speed, or recover from a stall.
The only down-side, would be an extra pair of decent wires out to the motor.

While I haven't personally done the mod, there's nothing wrong with the idea, from an engineering standpoint (if executed properly).

I believe the 'author' of that project goes by the nick of 'jerryt'. for some reason I want to think that the title had something to do with surgery.
Might be worth a search with those two terms (jerryt + surgery).
Use to have a text copy of it on my last computer, but it was one of the files that were left behind.

Yes, post by "jerryt", file is called "Positioner heart surgery" & is
in power point.
Have done this mod using a 15VDC Toshiba laptop power supply
& 16ga speaker wire (short run) with a SS2 pci card, works great!

Status
Please reply by conversation.