Shocking News: McGwire Admits Using Steroids!!!!

...just another opinion....and like I stated before...."they are like a$$*****....everyone has them."

But seriously......

Could he have, maybe...maybe not. We will never know. That is the unfortunate part of all this.

His batting average also went up after he started using PED's also. Saw that on ESPN the other day. I found that a little interesting. Salsa, you might want to take note of that. It wasn't a small increase either, from .249 to .274.

So did his walks...DRASTICALLY more than his average. That TOO improves his OBP and OPS.

Here is the opinion of one Charles Yesalis, one of the country's foremost experts on steroid use:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/david_epstein/01/12/yesalis.mcgwire/index.html

Check this out:
SI: What do you make of McGwire's contention that steroids did not help his performance?

Yesalis: To me, he's lost any credibility he might have had in regard to his sincerity. It appears he's trying to have his cake and eat it too, to still have his stature as a player and do a mea culpa at the same time. You can look at how his body morphed from post collegiate to early major league play, to the point where his arms are as big as the thighs of most men.

SI: What about his suggestion that steroids didn't improve his performance because they don't help hand-eye coordination.

Yesalis: Some players have made the argument that you can't make some guy a big behemoth and he's going to be in the majors. But if you have that rare, God-given skill of hitting 100 mph fastballs, and curveballs, and then you make that person bigger, the notion that being bigger after that skill doesn't help you, I can't even take seriously. You take Bambi and Godzilla with the same skill level, who's going to hit the ball better?

Not just another a$$***** opinion either...;)

Sandra

Last edited:
To his credit Bob Ley from ESPN did ask McGwire about the Maris apology. His answer is priceless:

When Ley tried to use McGwire’s feeling that steroids were not the deciding factor in his best home run hitting years and asked why he bothered to apologize to the late Roger Maris’ family, McGwire broke out with the following beauty:

“It’s just me Bob, that’s just the kind of person I am. I just felt I was obligated to just from my heart.”

Here is some more stuff from the steroids authority:

SI: What are some specific ways in which steroids might help a hitter, beyond just making a ball that he would've hit anyway go farther?

Yesalis: As your forearms become stronger, you can react late to a pitch and still hit it out. You have a certain amount of weight in the bat, and that 35-ounce bat now becomes more like a toothpick, so you can snap it more and go through the ball. It's not only what happens when you contact the ball; you can take a bigger bat. And if you're behind on the pitch and swat at it, what would've been a ground ball or fly-out is now an opposite-field home run. That's why these big guys hit opposite-field homers. The line drive to the warning track will now carry to the fence, and the grounder is faster and might get through two infielders. I could never hit a curveball, so steroids won't make me a major leaguer, but when used by people who have that God-given skill, to say they have no impact has no credibility.

Wow, no credibility. ;)

Sandra

Last edited:
I am a little confused about what your position is in all this Salsa. Are you saying that the PEDs did NOT help him? Are you saying that the use of them was in accordance with baseball rukles or that that does not matter/

i am not arguig with you BTW I just don't quite follow the discussion.

Here is the opinion of one Charles Yesalis, one of the country's foremost experts on steroid use:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/david_epstein/01/12/yesalis.mcgwire/index.html

Check this out:

Not just another a$$***** opinion either...;)

Sandra

It is opinion STILL....by an expert. His 49 HRs(and still missed 12 games) in his 2nd year PROVED that he could hit bunches of HRs...maybe not in the 60s or 70s...but DEFINATELY in the 50s. He hit 42 in 13 FEWER GAMES(139) than when he hit 49. AND remember, the year he hit 59, he did not play a complete season.

...IF you honestly think if healthy, he could not 50+ homers in 150+ games....you are seriousl delusional.

It is opinion STILL....by an expert. His 49 HRs(and still missed 12 games) in his 2nd year PROVED that he could hit bunches of HRs...maybe not in the 60s or 70s...but DEFINATELY in the 50s. He hit 42 in 13 FEWER GAMES(139) than when he hit 49. AND remember, the year he hit 59, he did not play a complete season.

...IF you honestly think if healthy, he could not 50+ homers in 150+ games....you are seriousl delusional.
Yea but Joe Blow down the street said he is bigger and not faster but still hit the ball farther! Of coarse with the juice he can stay healthier and get bigger play way more games and hit more home runs. I guess a lot of people owe Jose Canseco a apology he was and is right!:up

Here is some more stuff from the steroids authority:

Wow, no credibility. ;)

Sandra

NOW, let's go to this comment. The following guys WERE on steroids AND could hit a curve ball AND could hit '100 mph fastballs':

* Lenny Dykstra
* David Segui
* Larry Bigbie
* Brian Roberts
* Jack Cust
* Tim Laker
* Josias Manzanillo
* Todd Hundley
* Mark Carreon
* Hal Morris
* Matt Franco
* Rondell White
* Chuck Knoblauch
* Gregg Zaun
* David Justice
* F.P. Santangelo
* Glenallen Hill
* Mo Vaughn
* Ryan Franklin
* Chris Donnels
* Todd Williams
* Phil Hiatt
* Todd Pratt
* Kevin Young
* Mike Lansing
* Cody McKay
* Adam Piatt
* Miguel Tejada
* Jason Christiansen
* Stephen Randolph
* Jerry Hairston
* Paul Lo Duca
* Adam Riggs
* Bart Miadich
* Fernando Vina
* Mike Bell
* Matt Herges
* Gary Bennett
* Jim Parque
* Brendan Donnelly
* Chad Allen
* Jeff Williams
* Exavier "Nook" Logan
* Howie Clark
* Paxton Crawford
* Luis Perez
* Derrick Turnbow
* Ricky Stone
* Rick Ankiel
* David Bell
* Jay Gibbons
* Troy Glaus
* Jason Grimsley
* Jose Guillen
* Darren Holmes
* Gary Matthews Jr.
* Scott Schoeneweis
* Steve Woodard
* Benito Santiago
* Gary Sheffield
* Randy Velarde
* Jeremy Giambi
* Bobby Estalella
* Marvin Benard

Where are ALL those guys Ruthian numbers??!! These were ALL in the Mitchell report for taking steroids. ALOT of the guys doubled the HR production ....yeah, from 4 to 8...some even hit a whopping 10 home runs one season.

I am a little confused about what your position is in all this Salsa. Are you saying that the PEDs did NOT help him? Are you saying that the use of them was in accordance with baseball rukles or that that does not matter/

I am saying that PEDs did not help all. So therefore, you cannot say it was a "HUGE" advantage. With MOST players, it helped in keeping them healthy...played more games an in many cases produced better numbers. Did it a SMALL minority...yes. I will concede that. Did it give ALL that used PEDs an "advantage"??!! Did it make them 'better players'??!! NO...and that list proves it.

A home run hitter is a home run hitter...IF healthy, proper protection in the lineup, the right situation and a little bit of luck...you are gonna tell me that Mark McGwire was not able or capable of hit 50 HRs alot in his career...??!! Are you serious??!!

I am of the firm belief that professional players(and I KNOW PLENTY OF THEM) want two main things in their careers...win a World Championship and retire very well off. ANYTHING else is icing on the cake. These guys did what they could to stay healthy and to help produce to help their teams win...at all cost. Some of the guys play with injuries that most pansy here would get out of bed for. They did this when there were no rules in place for this. Rules are now in place, they should not do them anymore. I, for one do not hold anything against any player that wanted to stay healthy and prolong their career. They did what they had to to stay competive and earn their salary. NO ONE at THEIR job, get's they review written about in their city's newspaper. These guys are under a HUGE amount of pressure daily to live up to contracts and expectations. "But they better perform because look at all the money they make..." I love that one...EVERYONE always seems to forget all the hard work, dedication and sacrifice these guys went through to get where they can make that kinds money.

MANY every day people to plenty to their bodies to "cheat death"....I sure as sh*t don't hold anything against them.

People have to get over it. It's done.

THAT is where I stand Geronimo...always have and always will.;)

I am saying that PEDs did not help all. So therefore, you cannot say it was a "HUGE" advantage. With MOST players, it helped in keeping them healthy...played more games an in many cases produced better numbers. Did it a SMALL minority...yes. I will concede that. Did it give ALL that used PEDs an "advantage"??!! Did it make them 'better players'??!! NO...and that list proves it.

A home run hitter is a home run hitter...IF healthy, proper protection in the lineup, the right situation and a little bit of luck...you are gonna tell me that Mark McGwire was not able or capable of hit 50 HRs alot in his career...??!! Are you serious??!!

I am of the firm belief that professional players(and I KNOW PLENTY OF THEM) want two main things in their careers...win a World Championship and retire very well off. ANYTHING else is icing on the cake. These guys did what they could to stay healthy and to help produce to help their teams win...at all cost. Some of the guys play with injuries that most pansy here would get out of bed for. They did this when there were no rules in place for this. Rules are now in place, they should not do them anymore. I, for one do not hold anything against any player that wanted to stay healthy and prolong their career. They did what they had to to stay competive and earn their salary. NO ONE at THEIR job, get's they review written about in their city's newspaper. These guys are under a HUGE amount of pressure daily to live up to contracts and expectations. "But they better perform because look at all the money they make..." I love that one...EVERYONE always seems to forget all the hard work, dedication and sacrifice these guys went through to get where they can make that kinds money.

MANY every day people to plenty to their bodies to "cheat death"....I sure as sh*t don't hold anything against them.

People have to get over it. It's done.

THAT is where I stand Geronimo...always have and always will.;)
LMAO!! So what are you saying where do you stand!?? :D:D I'm sorry i think it is so funny! It is very easy to see what you are saying.:up

NOW, let's go to this comment. The following guys WERE on steroids AND could hit a curve ball AND could hit '100 mph fastballs':

* Lenny Dykstra
* David Segui
* Larry Bigbie
* Brian Roberts
* Jack Cust
* Tim Laker
* Josias Manzanillo
* Todd Hundley
* Mark Carreon
* Hal Morris
* Matt Franco
* Rondell White
* Chuck Knoblauch
* Gregg Zaun
* David Justice
* F.P. Santangelo
* Glenallen Hill
* Mo Vaughn
* Ryan Franklin
* Chris Donnels
* Todd Williams
* Phil Hiatt
* Todd Pratt
* Kevin Young
* Mike Lansing
* Cody McKay
* Adam Piatt
* Miguel Tejada
* Jason Christiansen
* Stephen Randolph
* Jerry Hairston
* Paul Lo Duca
* Adam Riggs
* Bart Miadich
* Fernando Vina
* Mike Bell
* Matt Herges
* Gary Bennett
* Jim Parque
* Brendan Donnelly
* Chad Allen
* Jeff Williams
* Exavier "Nook" Logan
* Howie Clark
* Paxton Crawford
* Luis Perez
* Derrick Turnbow
* Ricky Stone
* Rick Ankiel
* David Bell
* Jay Gibbons
* Troy Glaus
* Jason Grimsley
* Jose Guillen
* Darren Holmes
* Gary Matthews Jr.
* Scott Schoeneweis
* Steve Woodard
* Benito Santiago
* Gary Sheffield
* Randy Velarde
* Jeremy Giambi
* Bobby Estalella
* Marvin Benard

Where are ALL those guys Ruthian numbers??!! These were ALL in the Mitchell report for taking steroids. ALOT of the guys doubled the HR production ....yeah, from 4 to 8...some even hit a whopping 10 home runs one season.
Yea but.. but.. we are talking about McGuire! That is all that counts!;)

* Lenny Dykstra
* David Segui
* Larry Bigbie
* Brian Roberts
* Jack Cust
* Tim Laker
* Josias Manzanillo
* Todd Hundley
* Mark Carreon
* Hal Morris
* Matt Franco
* Rondell White
* Chuck Knoblauch
* Gregg Zaun
* David Justice
* F.P. Santangelo
* Glenallen Hill
* Mo Vaughn
* Ryan Franklin
* Chris Donnels
* Todd Williams
* Phil Hiatt
* Todd Pratt
* Kevin Young
* Mike Lansing
* Cody McKay
* Adam Piatt
* Miguel Tejada
* Jason Christiansen
* Stephen Randolph
* Jerry Hairston
* Paul Lo Duca
* Adam Riggs
* Bart Miadich
* Fernando Vina
* Mike Bell
* Matt Herges
* Gary Bennett
* Jim Parque
* Brendan Donnelly
* Chad Allen
* Jeff Williams
* Exavier "Nook" Logan
* Howie Clark
* Paxton Crawford
* Luis Perez
* Derrick Turnbow
* Ricky Stone
* Rick Ankiel
* David Bell
* Jay Gibbons
* Troy Glaus
* Jason Grimsley
* Jose Guillen
* Darren Holmes
* Gary Matthews Jr.
* Scott Schoeneweis
* Steve Woodard
* Benito Santiago
* Gary Sheffield
* Randy Velarde
* Jeremy Giambi
* Bobby Estalella
* Marvin Benard

So doubling HR production with PEDs should be ignored? You take a guy like McGwire who had good numbers, and now he's in the record books because his numbers went way up after he juiced. You can't have it both ways. It helped or it didn't. Obviously it did.

And by the way Brendan Donnelly would never have hit 60 homers, but I'm sure his career as a pitcher was artificially prolonged.

Who said McGwire could never have hit 50 home runs? Certainly not me. He hit 49 when he was not on steroids, why can't he hit 50?

That's not what we're debating tho...;)

Then again, I guess we'll never know if McGwire was on steroids his rookie year, will we? He's a proven liar, he could have lied about when he started taking them.

Sandra

Last edited:
Yea but.. but.. we are talking about McGuire! That is all that counts!;)

Exactly! Like debating whether steroids helped Bart Miadich or not really has any relevance to Mark McGwire. :rolleyes:

The steroids expert addressed that, if you take the time to read what he said.

Sandra

That's OK. None of the rest of us are understanding Salsa's argument either.;)

Probably because it has no real standing in credibility. Just flies in the face of what's obvious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)