Shocking News: McGwire Admits Using Steroids!!!!

Who said McGwire could never have hit 50 home runs? Certainly not me. He hit 49 when he was not on steroids, why can't he hit 50?

That's not what we're debating tho...;)

Then again, I guess we'll never know if McGwire was on steroids his rookie year, will we? He's a proven liar, he could have lied about when he started taking them.

Sandra

All your post and agreeing with Cosmo with his assessment of his homers when he was NOT on PEDs surely placed your thinking in that he could not hit homers in the 50s.

THAT is what I was debating about McGwire....

Now, going to the 2nd half of this post...since you are NOW assuming he was possibly lying about taking steroids as a rookie....what happend to his numbers when they hit a low? I mean you are NOW assuming he took them even earlier in his career....IF that were the case, then maybe the steroids did NOT help him??!! Can't have it both ways sister....;)

Exactly! Like debating whether steroids helped Bart Miadich or not really has any relevance to Mark McGwire. :rolleyes:

The steroids expert addressed that, if you take the time to read what he said.

Sandra

I read it AND the article, I get SI. They addressed McGwire, but what about all the punch and judy hitters on that list? He is THE leading expert in steroids as a whole correct? Why not ALSO address those that had very little effect on....like more than 75% of that list....?? I mean I am sure he can address Vina jumping his homer jump by 2 the year he supposedly took the PEDs?!:rolleyes:

Look at McGwire's stats:

1986-1994: 16.8 ab/hr (4006 ab, 238 hr)
1995-2001: 10.7 ab/hr (4311 ab, 403 hr)

Home runs came more often as he got older. Doesn't make sense unless the juice gave him an edge.

This is a very skewed stat look why not look at all his stats:

Mark McGwire Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Here is one thing that stands out -- when he played more games and was healthy he hit more HRs and his ab/hr was higher. In 93 & 94 (two of the years you have there) he played a total of 74 games! He was hurt most of the time those two years and did not play. Nobody wants to look at 1987 (his second year in the majors) when he played 151 games and hit 49 HRs! His ab/hr numbers -- 11.36 ab/hr! HIGHER then his steroid years!

Who knows if McGwire had been a healthy athlete what Mark would of hit but that is not the question now. The question should be, does steroids rule McGwire out as a great player worthy of the Hall of Fame?

Back when McGwire hit 70 HRs to break Roger Maris's record at the beginning of the season Baseball was DEAD! Most ball parks were having to sell tickets at half price to get people into the ball parks. McGwire along with Sammy Sosa were Baseball's Magic and Bird. They excited the fans and no one -- NOT ONE PERSON -- either in the media, in the clubhouse or in fandome question the HR Race between the two in the terms of steroids. They knew, they just looked the other way - especially the owners. They wanted their cash cow back and McGwire and Sosa were bring it to them. There was talk of Baseball juicing the balls - making them harder so they would fly father off the bat. Some thought about the bats being loaded - Sammy got caught with a corked bat and did not lose any game time over the issue!? Simply, single handedly, this race brought Baseball back from the brink and took the game off it's knees!

During this time McGwire was the greatest spokesman for his sport. He was gracious to his fans, his fellow players and to anyone in the media. He also was very gracious to Maris's family when he hit #70.

I also want to put into perspective that McGwire was not alone. I believe that most of the players back then took steroids. If you wanted to stay on the field - you took steroids. If you wanted that next contract - you took steroids. If you wanted to play longer and perform against much younger men - you took steroids. Let's face it , anyone here who does not believe that baseball players for the history of the game took whatever was at their disposal in order to continue to play or play at a high level is simply blind. Most of these men are arrogant, egotistical bastards who just have happened to have been blessed with a gift. Let's see Maris hit those home runs against todays pitching lineups.

In fact, McGwire was averaging 36.5 hr/yr (1st yr 18 games played and 93 & 94 when he played 27 & 47 respectively). Given that stat he would of hit 584 HRs in his career WITHOUT steroids if he had of stayed healty. Being realist and knowing he would of slowed down some we could easily see at least 500 HRs in his career. So, did the steroids help that much?

Back to Maris, using the same stats (and only counting years he played at least 100 games) Maris was averaging 24.27. Year he hit 61 he played in 161 games. McGwire hit 52 in 130 games. Had he played in 161 games - he would of hit 64 HRs! Year before he hit 39 in 104 games - total for 161 - 60 HRs! And this was BEFORE he started using steroids for other then injurys!

Anyone who says Mark McGwire was not a prolific HR slugger is just being blind to the facts! As for Hall of Fame -- it is littered with drug addicts, alcoholics and a murder! And you want to keep McGwire out for doing what everyone else in the game at the time was doing --- please!

Here is one thing that stands out -- when he played more games and was healthy he hit more HRs and his ab/hr was higher. In 93 & 94 (two of the years you have there) he played a total of 74 games! He was hurt most of the time those two years and did not play. Nobody wants to look at 1987 (his second year in the majors) when he played 151 games and hit 49 HRs! His ab/hr numbers -- 11.36 ab/hr! HIGHER then his steroid years!
Who knows if McGwire had been a healthy athlete what Mark would of hit but that is not the question now. The question should be, does steroids rule McGwire out as a great player worthy of the Hall of Fame?

Back when McGwire hit 70 HRs to break Roger Maris's record at the beginning of the season Baseball was DEAD! Most ball parks were having to sell tickets at half price to get people into the ball parks. McGwire along with Sammy Sosa were Baseball's Magic and Bird. They excited the fans and no one -- NOT ONE PERSON -- either in the media, in the clubhouse or in fandome question the HR Race between the two in the terms of steroids. They knew, they just looked the other way - especially the owners. They wanted their cash cow back and McGwire and Sosa were bring it to them. There was talk of Baseball juicing the balls - making them harder so they would fly father off the bat. Some thought about the bats being loaded - Sammy got caught with a corked bat and did not lose any game time over the issue!? Simply, single handedly, this race brought Baseball back from the brink and took the game off it's knees!

During this time McGwire was the greatest spokesman for his sport. He was gracious to his fans, his fellow players and to anyone in the media. He also was very gracious to Maris's family when he hit #70.

I also want to put into perspective that McGwire was not alone. I believe that most of the players back then took steroids. If you wanted to stay on the field - you took steroids. If you wanted that next contract - you took steroids. If you wanted to play longer and perform against much younger men - you took steroids. Let's face it , anyone here who does not believe that baseball players for the history of the game took whatever was at their disposal in order to continue to play or play at a high level is simply blind. Most of these men are arrogant, egotistical bastards who just have happened to have been blessed with a gift. Let's see Maris hit those home runs against todays pitching lineups.

In fact, McGwire was averaging 36.5 hr/yr (1st yr 18 games played and 93 & 94 when he played 27 & 47 respectively). Given that stat he would of hit 584 HRs in his career WITHOUT steroids if he had of stayed healty. Being realist and knowing he would of slowed down some we could easily see at least 500 HRs in his career. So, did the steroids help that much?
Back to Maris, using the same stats (and only counting years he played at least 100 games) Maris was averaging 24.27. Year he hit 61 he played in 161 games. McGwire hit 52 in 130 games. Had he played in 161 games - he would of hit 64 HRs! Year before he hit 39 in 104 games - total for 161 - 60 HRs! And this was BEFORE he started using steroids for other then injurys!

Anyone who says Mark McGwire was not a prolific HR slugger is just being blind to the facts! As for Hall of Fame -- it is littered with drug addicts, alcoholics and a murder! And you want to keep McGwire out for doing what everyone else in the game at the time was doing --- please!

THAT was a home run!:up

Did you bother to take a look at this post. I don't include those two "M*A*S*H" unit years, only his full seasons, and his last two years are included even though they bring down his inflated average from his juicing years!!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/sports-section/199324-shocking-news-mcgwire-admits-using-steroids-12.html#post2072788

Even if all of this were true, does that excuse him and others for doing it??

And that is the crux of the argument. McGwire himself claims he started taking the steroids because he was "a walking M*A*S*H unit" and needed help to get his body back on track. He told his Dad he was close to retiring. He played little for 2 1/2 seasons because of this. He starts taking the steroids and next thing you know he's back playing full-time again. Coincidence?? I think not....

I'm aware this is a long thread, but if you took the time to read through it I don't think you would find any examples of anyone here claiming that McGwire was not a prolific HR hitter before he started juicing. The evidence does support that he hit and averaged dramatically more HRs after juicing than before and was able to play longer than he probably should have because of the restorative benefits of the steroids.

I'm aware this is a long thread, but if you took the time to read through it I don't think you would find any examples of anyone here claiming that McGwire was not a prolific HR hitter before he started juicing. The evidence does support that he hit and averaged dramatically more HRs after juicing than before and was able to play longer than he probably should have because of the restorative benefits of the steroids.

On the contrary, plenty of folks have insinuated that he more or less was 'normal power hitter' WITHOUT the PEDs, MOST if not ALL have COMPLETELY disregarded his 2 seasons where he supposedly was not on PEDs as fluke years and give no credence to those numbers. Now, in the last few post, you have had a few posters now possibly thinking he took PEDs in those years ALSO. IF that is the case and he HAS been on PEDs all his career....WHO is gonna explain the LOW production years and with what bullsh** excuse? His garter belt had the flowers in the back??!! Or was he not breathing through his eyelids...?? :rolleyes:

Here is the sad thing for most sports fanatics, Baseball is not perfect nor are the players who play the game. Mark McGwire stood before everyone and stated what everyone already knew - he took steroids. He stated it was wrong. He does not believe that the steroids helped him hit all those home runs but I am sure the steroids did help him hit some of them.

Quite frankly, given the state of his back injuries, the steroids kept him in the game he loved and and that gave him a chance to hit those home runs. Without the steroids I doubt he would of played more then 12 to 14 years. Yet, even with a bad back (since the time he entered the bigs) he still was able to smack the ball out of the park.

So here is my question, how is using steroids that differant from an athelete who gets injured, goes into the locker room and gets a shot of (put anything here you want) and then comes back out into the game and performs at a high level?

I personally have a problem with perfectionists. They destroy everything they touch. In this instance, those in the media who obviously have no sin have continously cast stone on players who have proven that they do have sin. If the purists would of had their way during the home run race between McGwire and Sosa it would never of happened - the owners would of outed the players who were juicing. The commisioner would of tossed them out of the game for awhile and baseball would of become a sport like Hockey --- still has fans but who really watches? A perfect world:rolleyes:

McGwire admited what we all knew. I guess those who are condemming McGwire and others are without sin -- so let the stoning begin and let the purists celebrate!

Here is the sad thing for most sports fanatics, Baseball is not perfect nor are the players who play the game. Mark McGwire stood before everyone and stated what everyone already knew - he took steroids. He stated it was wrong. He does not believe that the steroids helped him hit all those home runs but I am sure the steroids did help him hit some of them.

Quite frankly, given the state of his back injuries, the steroids kept him in the game he loved and and that gave him a chance to hit those home runs. Without the steroids I doubt he would of played more then 12 to 14 years. Yet, even with a bad back (since the time he entered the bigs) he still was able to smack the ball out of the park.

So here is my question, how is using steroids that differant from an athelete who gets injured, goes into the locker room and gets a shot of (put anything here you want) and then comes back out into the game and performs at a high level?

I personally have a problem with perfectionists. They destroy everything they touch. In this instance, those in the media who obviously have no sin have continously cast stone on players who have proven that they do have sin. If the purists would of had their way during the home run race between McGwire and Sosa it would never of happened - the owners would of outed the players who were juicing. The commisioner would of tossed them out of the game for awhile and baseball would of become a sport like Hockey --- still has fans but who really watches? A perfect world:rolleyes:
McGwire admited what we all knew. I guess those who are condemming McGwire and others are without sin -- so let the stoning begin and let the purists celebrate!

Back-to-back JACKS!!!:up

That's easy, it's because anabolic steroids obtained for the purposes he was using them for and for the duration he was using them for, were then and still are illegal today.

Now, going to the 2nd half of this post...since you are NOW assuming he was possibly lying about taking steroids as a rookie....what happend to his numbers when they hit a low? I mean you are NOW assuming he took them even earlier in his career....IF that were the case, then maybe the steroids did NOT help him??!! Can't have it both ways sister....;)

I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying a liar is a liar is a liar...;)

Sandra

I read it AND the article, I get SI. They addressed McGwire, but what about all the punch and judy hitters on that list? He is THE leading expert in steroids as a whole correct? Why not ALSO address those that had very little effect on....like more than 75% of that list....?? I mean I am sure he can address Vina jumping his homer jump by 2 the year he supposedly took the PEDs?!:rolleyes:

It's all there in the article...;)

Sandra

That's easy, it's because anabolic steroids obtained for the purposes he was using them for and for the duration he was using them for, were then and still are illegal today.

...and Cosmo goes Yard with the perfect answer! It's OUTTA HERE!!! :D

Sandra

And so is going over the speed limit...but I am sure YOU still do it.;)

OK...he is a liar. So he was taking steroids from day way. Explain those down years for me? Why didn't he he ATLEAST 45-55 HRs?

Seeing that you are NOT assuming....

I didn't say he was taking steroids from day one (if that's what you meant to say by day way). I said we'll never know when he started taking steroids, and since he's already lied we can't take his word for it.

I am not supposing anything, you are. I'm saying we don't know.

Sandra

For this question:

Originally Posted by JoeSp

This is the perfect answer by Cosmo:

Nobody said anything about speed limits. That just murkies the water. ;) :D

Sandra

Here's the rub...This is professional sports. These players are paid, indirectly by people like you and me, when we purchase tickets to witness what we assume is a fair and on the up and up sporting event. Do I need to explain this any further?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts