Should I ask for an antenna upgrade?

kspeters

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 15, 2005
Antennaweb tells me I should get abc, cbs, wb and pbs and they usually come in. When I go into the signal strength meter they are never above the rain fade plateau. Sometimes they do not come in and the meter says below the first mark. Can I get an upgrade based on this situation?

Yes I would assume so. Call VOOM and tell them the problem. If the CSR does not authorize the upgrade ask to speak with a supervisor!

Best of luck! :)

Yes, by all means call VOOM and tell them you are not satisfied with your OTA performance. It may take your installer a little time and effort, but more people than not should be able to reliably receive their digital locals.

Just another case for having more VOOM company installers/partners out in the field who can do the job right or immediate authorized an OTA upgrade without placing another service call.

and the installer is supposed to stay there an unlimited ammount of time trying to get you something for free?? when they can move on and make more money ???

how about this, what if the senile one ships 108 inch boom antennas and does it right the first time?? or ships 8 bays with amps , the FIRST TIME??? why are you blaming the tech, he is working with what he was shipped!

you bought a 5000 dollar television and want FREE ota, PAY FOR IT ON YOUR OWN, and it is fast coming to that!!

dragon

Dragon002...you have saved me a little work...care to go for more?

dragon002 said:
and the installer is supposed to stay there an unlimited ammount of time trying to get you something for free?? when they can move on and make more money ???

how about this, what if the senile one ships 108 inch boom antennas and does it right the first time?? or ships 8 bays with amps , the FIRST TIME??? why are you blaming the tech, he is working with what he was shipped!

you bought a 5000 dollar television and want FREE ota, PAY FOR IT ON YOUR OWN, and it is fast coming to that!!

dragon
Well, maybe I just haven't had enough to drink today, or maybe I have too much time on my hands, or maybe I just expect ethical efforts from people who choose to accept a job, or MAYBE...you just keep proving my previously stated points about your ethics and your agenda (even without my help), time and time again, in thread after thread. If you'd really like me to go to Chit Chit where it can be contained in one thread...with you as the stated subject...I'll be extremely happy to do that...just let me know. Vicki :smug

P.S.: Any newbies on board, just check all posts by both parties to catch up soon.

vicki,
again, your agenda, the tech is supposed to stay as long as YOU fell it is ok? he should stay and put the dish where YOU want it?
and he should get paid no more for the time at your home? he should be glad to have YOUR install?

i am reading from my que site and i have a 1 ird voom install and the time frame is 8 to 12 with a 1.5 hour pay period , that means after 1.5 hours i will call voom and installs ins (and while im callin, the times a runnin) and ask for more pay in 15 min intergals at 75.00 per half hour. they say no......see ya!!!

AGAIN,, I AM THERE FOR THE $$

and i will treat you the same as a directv install or a sirius or an xm install....equal!!!
your opine is WE ARE VOOM AND WE DESERVE BETTER, no you dont, period!!!!

dragon

and ps vicki, when you get sbca papers , then you tell me how your install shoud be done, have another drink!!!

dragon002 said:
vicki,
again, your agenda, the tech is supposed to stay as long as YOU fell it is ok? he should stay and put the dish where YOU want it?
and he should get paid no more for the time at your home? he should be glad to have YOUR install?

i am reading from my que site and i have a 1 ird voom install and the time frame is 8 to 12 with a 1.5 hour pay period , that means after 1.5 hours i will call voom and installs ins (and while im callin, the times a runnin) and ask for more pay in 15 min intergals at 75.00 per half hour. they say no......see ya!!!

AGAIN,, I AM THERE FOR THE $$

and i will treat you the same as a directv install or a sirius or an xm install....equal!!!
your opine is WE ARE VOOM AND WE DESERVE BETTER, no you dont, period!!!!

dragon

and ps vicki, when you get sbca papers , then you tell me how your install shoud be done, have another drink!!!

So dragon are you say that if it takes you longer that 1.5 hrs that you asked for more money> Well what i want to know is do that pay you more if you are there longer??????

t

I still just want to know how much he gets for the "turnovers" when he succeeds in a "turnover"...It's clear to me his motivation is dollars from whatever source...not the best install he can deliver...and not that I've seen anywhere, any "after the fact" assistance, at least not on these forums. Vicki :)

dragon002 said:

dragon

I'm glad I didn't have someone who fells like you do complete my installation.

"and i will treat you the same as a directv install or a sirius or an xm install....equal!!!
your opine is WE ARE VOOM AND WE DESERVE BETTER, no you dont, period!!!! "

This is just plain dumb.

I don't deserve a higher quality of service, and no one is expecting that. What I DO expect is the job to be done correctly, and to my satisfaction. If you, as an installer, don't think that VOOM allocates/allows enough billable time for you to do the job to my satisfaction, you shouldn't be taking the jobs, period. The fact that they pay YOU 1.5hrs is really not my problem. Get out of the way and let someone who WANTS the job take it.
The reason people expect a "free" OTA antenna is because the company provides it as part of their service/package, period.

I've been in the service industry for 30yrs, and I LOVE having guys like you for competition. It makes winning customers from someone like you so incredibly easy it's almost like cheating.

Now on to the "other side" of the fence:

"It's clear to me his motivation is dollars from whatever source...not the best install he can deliver"

Make no mistake...the motivation for anyone WORKING is dollars, period, so I don't think that's a valid criticism :) AND...VOOM doesn't hire ANY installer to do "the best install he/she can deliver", they pay them to get the system installed and working properly, in conformance with local and national codes. That doesn't mean that if they could make it even BETTER, they're supposed to stay there another 8hrs to do so.

VOOM has decided that 1.5hrs is what it should take to perform an installation they way they have defined it. If Dragon, or any other installer, doesn't like it, then DON'T DO THEM. But don't tell me that as a customer, my expectations are too high because I want my "free" OTA antenna, and I want it to work.

Lob :)

Lobstah said:
"and i will treat you the same as a directv install or a sirius or an xm install....equal!!!
your opine is WE ARE VOOM AND WE DESERVE BETTER, no you dont, period!!!! "

This is just plain dumb.

I don't deserve a higher quality of service, and no one is expecting that. What I DO expect is the job to be done correctly, and to my satisfaction. If you, as an installer, don't think that VOOM allocates/allows enough billable time for you to do the job to my satisfaction, you shouldn't be taking the jobs, period. The fact that they pay YOU 1.5hrs is really not my problem. Get out of the way and let someone who WANTS the job take it.
The reason people expect a "free" OTA antenna is because the company provides it as part of their service/package, period.

I've been in the service industry for 30yrs, and I LOVE having guys like you for competition. It makes winning customers from someone like you so incredibly easy it's almost like cheating.

Now on to the "other side" of the fence:

"It's clear to me his motivation is dollars from whatever source...not the best install he can deliver"

Make no mistake...the motivation for anyone WORKING is dollars, period, so I don't think that's a valid criticism :) AND...VOOM doesn't hire ANY installer to do "the best install he/she can deliver", they pay them to get the system installed and working properly, in conformance with local and national codes. That doesn't mean that if they could make it even BETTER, they're supposed to stay there another 8hrs to do so.

VOOM has decided that 1.5hrs is what it should take to perform an installation they way they have defined it. If Dragon, or any other installer, doesn't like it, then DON'T DO THEM. But don't tell me that as a customer, my expectations are too high because I want my "free" OTA antenna, and I want it to work.

Lob :)

ok guys i just want to let all of you know VOOM has not sat anytime frame to do a install That is what DRAGON has said that he will spend no more than 1.5 at an install unless he gets more money.

NOT all installer say or do that ME myself will spend a much time as it takes to get everything installed right including the OTA I was just the other day about 8 hours at a install and still didn't get it going and went back the next day to work on it.

So please don't take what DRAGON has stated to be the case for all installer or blame this on Installs Inc or Voom this is just One installer out of hundreds taking from himself only.

tyork

Thanks, tyork, for the clarification and to Lobstah...

TYORK said:
ok guys i just want to let all of you know VOOM has not sat anytime frame to do a install That is what DRAGON has said that he will spend no more than 1.5 at an install unless he gets more money.

NOT all installer say or do that ME myself will spend a much time as it takes to get everything installed right including the OTA I was just the other day about 8 hours at a install and still didn't get it going and went back the next day to work on it.

So please don't take what DRAGON has stated to be the case for all installer or blame this on Installs Inc or Voom this is just One installer out of hundreds taking from himself only.

tyork

for saying essentially what I was going to post.

Still listening to the music (my other obsession) under cloudy Seattle skies,Gill

Black Eye

Dragon and installers like him are the main reason why so many voom and other installs go bad. They appear to be concentrating on the next money making job they're going to while working on the current one. Sounds like Dragon doesn't take pride in his work, he's only in it for the money.
By the way, CSR's don't authorize OTA upgrades, they only create the work orders, installs inc and voom corp. are the ones that authorize them.
Dragon, quit accepting voom jobs if you hate them so much, you create more problems than your worth.

guys,

1. i take great pride in my installs

2. i will fax a PROSITE printout to any one who wants to see the timeframes and time alloted columns

3 i am there to please the company i work for , directv, voom, xm or sirius and soon wildblue

4. again, i install the eq the company provide to me for your install, DIPLEXERS AND ALL

5 i never said i called the csrs for more $$ i said installsinc and the voom tech line

6. why wont voom ship bigger otas and or amps to the areas of the country that they are having trouble in??? or would that be too easy??

7. again give me your fax # t and i WILL FAX YOU A PROSITE SCHEDULING SHEET FROM MY QUEUE, then i want an apology for being called a liar

dragon

lobstah,

thanks for the partial back-up , as to the voom cx acting like they want more and to be treated "special" , sweet mother of god man , read these posts on this and other sites, yes they do!!!

i do great work and have won awards for my installs. one question, t york said she was at an install 8 hours and went back the next day to get it right, correct?

questions....

was that her ONLY install that day??

if so she didnt ask for more $$

if not what happened to her other subs that were scheduled that day?? call em and cancel em?

if it was her only install and she was there for 8 to 10 hours how many receivers were there ?? 16??

and lastly if she was there for even 8 hours, she wont be installing long, because she CANT MAKE ANY $$$$

dragon

dragon002 said:
lobstah,

thanks for the partial back-up , as to the voom cx acting like they want more and to be treated "special" , sweet mother of god man , read these posts on this and other sites, yes they do!!!

i do great work and have won awards for my installs. one question, t york said she was at an install 8 hours and went back the next day to get it right, correct?

questions....

was that her ONLY install that day??

if so she didnt ask for more $$

if not what happened to her other subs that were scheduled that day?? call em and cancel em?

if it was her only install and she was there for 8 to 10 hours how many receivers were there ?? 16??

and lastly if she was there for even 8 hours, she wont be installing long, because she CANT MAKE ANY $$$$

dragon

no was not my only install for the day just kept the other customer posted on what was going on customer was fine cause i kept them informed on the problem i was having .

Yes i did ask for more money but was denied but stayed anyway and no i didn't get paid for going back the next day.

went and install another 3 receiver late that night worked in the dark with flashlight,

THe job i was on was 3 rooms but was having trouble getting the ota to work but that was part of the scope of work so i felt it had to be right.

Whatever i have been doing this 5 years and yes you do lose money on some installs but you also have some that go right in with no trouble all comes out in the end.

But i can also my customer was really happy that i took that extra effort to make sure he was getting his locals.

Dragon I am not in the postion that i am in cause i screw customer i have my postion with Installs, Inc cause of my work ethics with my customer

T

When my original install was done by Install Inc. in Houston, TX. The installer did not even peak the signal before leaving! The sat. signal was at 88 and when I ask him if he could try to get a little better sat. signal, he said that 88 was more than sufficient! He had a new $450.00 Bird Dog meter, and I would have figured that he would have at least took the time to get a better signal than 88 for the sat.!

I even made it easy on them because I already had 2 RG-6 feeds from when I had E* and already had an OTA Ant. that received all of the OTA stations.

He grounded the diplexer to my cold side of my HW tank (which was in the attic of the house) and ran the ground wire directly across my attic opening, so anyone trying to get in the attic could easily get snagged on it (I Re-routed the ground wire after he left!). He was at the house for less than 45 mins.!

After he left, I connected my $15.00 generic sat. meter and was able to peak the signal up to 96-97! I know that that time is of the essence for the installers to make more $$$, but they should at least take enough time to make sure that both sat. and OTA signals are peaked to the max, and cabling (Including ground wires) is installed so that it would not be a hazard to the customer..

I did not ask for anything special because I was a V* from the installer, and if there is an issue with the OTA antenna, then by all means the installer should contact Voom and ask for a different solution to the problem. If another trip is necessary, then so be it... I would think that V* would pay additional for a "reasonable amount" of extra time for a customer install if the time is necessary, but I am not an installer and do not know what rules V* has for installation times. Like I said above, the installer I had was there for less than 45 mins., so he if he had to spend 45 mins. extra at another install, then he would have still had a full days pay...

Just my $0.02 worth..

t,
you didnt mention the time factor on pro site, WHY??

because you know i am right, you didnt stay out of the goodness of your heart, you stayed to make extra $$$$

and that is why we are in this industry, to make the ching!!!

the cx was happy, im glad, that and a dollar will buy a loaf of bread!

they denied the time factor money??? is that what you wrote???
if the receivers were getting at least a 90 signal , i would have activated!!!! it is not your fault for the ota they send.

i dont think you are a contractor ,,,,i THINK you are a sub, a contractor would know what prosite is and pays for it and would know the companies have parameters for times allotted and pay extra for added time.

again give me your fax # ill show you my queue!!!!!!

dragon

ps hope you had a blessed easter

dragon002 said:
t,
you didnt mention the time factor on pro site, WHY??

because you know i am right, you didnt stay out of the goodness of your heart, you stayed to make extra $$$$

and that is why we are in this industry, to make the ching!!!

the cx was happy, im glad, that and a dollar will buy a loaf of bread!

they denied the time factor money??? is that what you wrote???
if the receivers were getting at least a 90 signal , i would have activated!!!! it is not your fault for the ota they send.

i dont think you are a contractor ,,,,i THINK you are a sub, a contractor would know what prosite is and pays for it and would know the companies have parameters for times allotted and pay extra for added time.

again give me your fax # ill show you my queue!!!!!!

dragon

ps hope you had a blessed easter

no you are wrong i am a contractor thank you very much and i can tell you that i made 115.00 dollars for that job that i was there so long. And yes they did denied the extra time even though i was on the phone for over 3 hrs on the job. and no one said they would no activate the satellite is was the ota that was the problem.

Dragon i know what my job is and for the most thing i try to make my customer as happy as i can so if there ota is not working than they are not happy so i stay to see what i can do and i also carry a ota on my truck to make sure that if the one they provide does not work that maybe the one i have on my truck will and i carry extra diplexer and multi-switch on there also in case i may need them.

t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)