Anything I should know when adjusting the antenna?

sixy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
St. Albans, West Virginia
I've already gotten one antenna upgrade. They said they installed a Winegard, but I'm unsure of what model. I've been waiting for about 2 months for the local installers that Voom hires to give me another antenna upgrade to what they refer to as an "omnidirectional antenna". I'm becoming quite frustrated, as I've been without my locals now for quite some time and it seems like they're dragging their feet.

I'm thinking the wind has moved my current antenna though because I'm not picking up anything now (I was getting ABC & PBS), and I'm going to try to adjust it myself this weekend. I've adjusted the dish myself with help on this forum, and it wasn't difficult at all. Is there anything I should know before climbing up there? Is there anything I shouldn't touch?

Thanks in advance.

Did you go to www.antenna.org and check which type of antenna you need for your area? Also this site will list all your local stations and tell you the degrees of their towers from your home address. I would adjust the antenna to point at the average angle of all the towers and than go under your menu and check the signal strength of each channel and adjust from there.

You will need to get a compass to help you figure out angles when moving the antenna. good Luck and hopefully I have given you some good pointers. I am sure other people will leave post for you.

I'm thinking you meant antennaweb.org - I just went there and it recommends a Medium Directional w/ Pre-Amp. I'm honestly not sure what I have, but the installers from Voom were unable to get it to pick up anything but ABC & PBS. I really want to be able to get the local NBC, at least. Our local FOX does not broadcast digitally yet (hopefully starting in January) and from what I read on another forum, our local CBS broadcasts digitally, but at the lowest possible power... so I'm not really hoping for much there. Perhaps I should just be happy with my ABC & PBS if I can get them working again.

Yes I meant antennaweb..sorry about that, but it was early in the morning here. The Wineguard is a medium directional antenns. You might have to go with a Channelmaster 4228 which is a long range directional antenna and only UHF. How far are you from the local towers? The Channelmaster is rated for 60+ miles.

Voom upgraded me to this type of antenna, but I had to request it. I have this antenna installed in my attic of my two-story house with no preamp or amp and haven't had any problems getting all my locals. Again all my locals are broadcasting digital. Maybe you need to have Voom install this antenna for you.

How high is your OTA Mast? I had problems getting OTA, but the VOOM Tech came today and reinstalled the Wingard so that is cleared my neighbors roof. Once he did that I go all my Channels.

jimmykce1 said:
How far are you from the local towers? The Channelmaster is rated for 60+ miles.

The furthest channel is NBC which is 23.9 miles away. Thanks for your help. When (if) we get this omnidirectional installed, if it doesn't work either, I will definitely request this one. I posted the original message on here as well as another forum, and the response I received back on there was to get the Channelmaster 4228 too.

Threv said:
How high is your OTA Mast? I had problems getting OTA, but the VOOM Tech came today and reinstalled the Wingard so that is cleared my neighbors roof. Once he did that I go all my Channels.

My house is 2 story, but the dish & satellite don't sit up at the very top. It's actually close to the edge of the house, so often I wonder if my house might even be blocking the signal.

I think you will need to raise your antenna up to over your roof peaks. I have my antenna installed in my attic of my two story house and have no problems getting any of my local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)