Should I stay or go? Upgrae questions and issues?

robertw477

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
A few questions. I am a long time dish network owner with 2 hdtvs but have not upgraded from my 501 units.

If I upgrade with Dishnetwork I would want two 622 receivers under the lease program. I currently get AT 250, all movie channels, locals package 8.99, and maint contract for a total of $123.00 with tax. I see some ads for Direct TV new customers and it looks like they might be more aggressive for my business than Dish with some FREE HDTV DVr etc. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions here.

I understand Dish might not want to lease me two VIP622 units or give me a hard time. Currently my units are not near phone lines so I assume I would have to buy one of those RCS phone jack repeaters and plug them into that. I have not hooked into a phone line since I had these 501s for many years.

My parents are looking for a sat system also and they have seen directtv ads. I always thought Dish was cheaper overall bt I am begining to wonder now.

Rob

A 622 is a good option if you want DVR, but since you said you have 2 HD tv's the 622 will only feed one HD tv with HD signal and the other with standard analog. If you really want HD on both tv's, get a 622 and a standard non DVR 411 or 211. Those two receivers will give you a three room hook up.

It is possible to get 2

There have been others that have gotten 2 622's. It is a matter of emailing ceo@echostar.com and working it out w/ them. The other way is to own 1 and lease one. You may also consider waiting a short time until the single output version comes out. It think it is know as the 712 but don't know how soon it will appear.

I will for warn you though, be prepared for a good fight to squeeze two 622's outta dish. Some people from what I have heard claim that finding the Holy Grail might be easier then having dish give you 2 622's.

There have been others that have gotten 2 622's. It is a matter of emailing ceo@echostar.com and working it out w/ them. The other way is to own 1 and lease one. You may also consider waiting a short time until the single output version comes out. It think it is know as the 712 but don't know how soon it will appear.

How much do they charge for the 622? Are there any promotional offers? I want DVR on both units. Thats what I have currently and what I have always had. If they want much for the 622 I will definitely call Directv and see what they will do for two receivers DVR.

Robert

Do you want answers or comments in this thread or this one, http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=97652 ??

You can answer here. I thought I would start a new thread on this. If Dish doesnt want to go the extra mile to keep me then I go to Direct which I have no experience with. These companies spend a ton to get new customers, they work harder for the new customers in many cases more than keeping the current ones. It might be the best way to go is switch every few years. The mor at look at DTV they look about the same price programming wise. Now they have their own HD DVR equipment.

rob

What I know, DirecTV will give you a DVR HD for $199.99. If you what another DVR HD, you may pay an additional $299.99!.
With Dish Network, the first DVR HD is free after $49.99 credited it. If you what another DVR HD 622, you may pay an additional $ 449 or 499, you need to check with dish.
If you can afford two HD Tv's, you can afford two HD DVR's.

Why not Everything Pak?

I currently get AT 250, all movie channels, locals package 8.99, and maint contract for a total of $123.00 with tax.
Rob
I think you may find the "all everything" package is cheaper. Certainly for the first year. Why $9 for locals?

I pay for a 501+921+622:
Additional receiver (921 owned) $5
Digital Home Plan with America's Everything Pak 1 (501) $100
DishHD $20
HDbonus credit -$10
Leased receiver (621) fee $6
Total $121

Everything Pak includes locals and one DVR fee.
DHP is no longer available but is like DHPP. It is why I still have the 501 as to return it is to lose DHP, I think.

-Ken

I called them last Friday and got an rep in India. Reading from a script. I asked her if I can get two 622's and she said no problem with HD programming package etc. I doubt I was getting the correct info. Is there a number I can call to speak to somebody at Dish (not India) so at least I know the story.

Rob

I think you could get the everything pack as suggested above for about the same price. That way you would also avoid a dvr fee for the 622's, which you dont pay on the 501. also with dishcomm you would only need to attach one rcvr to a phone line to avoid that fee.
As you are a long standing customer i think you will do fine with an email to CEO, they hooked me up and added a 211 without a single hitch.

Here's what i pay with a 211 also in the mix.
New Monthly Charge(s)
clear.gif
06/12 to 07/11
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 6.00
clear.gif

AMERICA'S EVERYTHING VALUE PAK-AMERICA'S TOP 250,4 94.99
clear.gif

DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 0.00
clear.gif

DISHHD 20.00
clear.gif

DISHNETWORK ONE RATE PRM 0.00
clear.gif

LEASED RECEIVER FEE 6.00
clear.gif

PREMIUM PACKAGE LOCALS 0.00
dark_spacer.gif

Account Charges $ 126.99
so if you take out the addtnl rcvr fee you will be at 120.99

Couldn't you just hook up one TV through the HDMI output and one TV through (probably a long) component cable? Granted, this means both tv's are stuck on the TV1 output, but it would give you HD in two rooms without another box. You could then probably hook up your second TV through composite cables on TV2 in case someone wants to watch something else even though it wouldn't be in HD. You'd probably need to buy a Universal UHF remote to control the box from the other room but that's no biggie.
I haven't tried this yet, but I think it will work. Thinking about doing this in a room adjacent to main TV room for when I'm on computer. I had HDMI and components hooked into the same tv for giggles last year and got HD from both.

That will work just fine, many have done it. There are reports of running either HDMI or component connections up to 100' with no problems. For the TV2 (SD and down-converted HD) connection, you can also use the "agile modulated" output of the 622 via standard coax (or your whole-house system?) or you could also use an RF transmitter/receiver pair to send the composite video and L+R audio to remote locations within about 40' without hard wiring. The TV2 remote that comes with the 622 is UHF. If you're running the unit in the "Single" mode, then that remote will give you full capabilities from almost anywhere in the house, and there are several tricks to extend its range as well...

Problem with P415 software on 311 rcvr

Annoyed at step motion jumps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)