Should I upgrade my Iphone 3g to 3GS?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
I was thinking if I should go ahead and buy the 3GS, I love the new features...faster on opening apps and the internet seems much faster.

My question is, do I have to buy the 3GS full price again or is there an option to trade in your current IPHONE to get the 3GS?

I wouldn't mind paying 200$ to get a better product, but it seems like I better hold off...Apple might come out with newer Iphones every year.

I was going to upgrade... but now I think I am going to hold off.

For me to upgrade to the 32GB version it will cost me $499.

While I am willing to spend the money what do I really get for $500?

I have decided to hold off and load the new 3.0 software and see how I like that. The 3.0 software update is free and it gives you all the features of the new phone except for the video camera, compass and faster net speeds. To me the new battery life really isn't that impressive and I already have a Mophie battery pack so battery life is not an issue for me.

I would like the faster internet and the 7.2 mbps sounds great, but honestly AT&T can't support the current 3G model and speeds.

The faster processor would be nice but again my current iPhone works fine.

If I want video I can load Cycorder on my phone and have video now. The new camera is a disapointment to me as its only a 3 megapixel camera, I was hoping for at least a 5 mexapixel unit.

For voice dialing (a feature which should be in the 3.0 software and not the new iPhone) there are a number of free apps in the app store which allow you to do voice dialing.

So I will sit it out and try the new iPhone after it comes out and see if the speed and features are worth $500 and a new 2 year commitment.

As I said I will give the new 3.0 software a spin first and see how that works and then after the new phone comes out I will go to the apple store and work with the new phone to see if its worth spending the money on.

Great Scott, please keep me updated.
I am still locked in a 2 years plan, so that means I am out of luck right? Unless do I get to trade in my old iphone 3g for the new one and have to suck up another 2 year contract?
You do make some great points there.
I'd love to have the better processor and they also said the new GS has a better video card in it.

I might also hold off on this.
I am sure Apple will come out with Iphone 3G HD in the next year or so....there were rumors about it on Engadget.
Hopefully by then I will no longer be locked in a contract.
I will get a 30% employee discount with Verizon...if I ever switch to them.
I wish the Iphone was on Verizon...less restriction and I think we would have the best 3G+coverage here in Reno.

I totally agree with your opinion on this one Scott. The new iPhone was a total disappointment and really not worth the upgrade right now. This was not nearly the jump from the original iPhone to the 3G model. All the new features could and should be added to the 3G model without having to upgrade to the new phone. The only one that might be difficult is the auto focus on the camera but that might even be possible.

It is for those of us not under contract and venturing into the smart phone arena for the first time. ;)

Your big choice (if going with the iPhone) will be if you need the few extras that are in the new phone for an extra $100. The 8GB for only $99 is really a good price. They also have the 16GB for $149 until they are sold out.

Your big choice (if going with the iPhone) will be if you need the few extras that are in the new phone for an extra $100. The 8GB for only $99 is really a good price. They also have the 16GB for $149 until they are sold out.
Will there be a 16gb 3GS (a new 16g phone)?

I thought about upgrading since I am still on the iPhone 2G. I could get the 32GB one for $299. But, the switch to the 3G data plan would raise my monthly bill by $15. So, the switch would cost me $299+$180+taxes for the first year. I was planning on upgrading, but for now I'll hold onto the cheaper 2G data plan...Just like I'm holding on to Dish HD Absolute package for as long as I can.

If AT&T allowed tethering (without increasing the monthly cost further) I'd consider it. I won't upgrade to the $70/month data plan just for tethering. For now I think this 2G model does everything I really need. I am tired of AT&T fighting Apples progress(Tethering, MMS, slow 3G speeds, no 3G Slingbox support...) By next year AT&T's agreement will be ready to expire...either AT&T will have to improve or Verizon might get a deal with Apple. I'd love it if iPhone were available for both networks. I'd be really happy with a Verizon 4G model...

I was expecting more of an upgrade. It seems like the same phone. From what I read they are still using the old school screen. Get with the program Apple...I was expecting them to at least go with 480x640 screen and a 4 megapixel camera.

I was expecting more of an upgrade. It seems like the same phone. From what I read they are still using the old school screen. Get with the program Apple...I was expecting them to at least go with 480x640 screen and a 4 megapixel camera.

I was to but after thinking about it, Apple would do more harm to themselves if they came out with a major upgrade every year. People would get really sick of upgrading every year to get the latest and greatest. I can see a little bump one year and then a larger one the following.

Even though the resolution is less and the screen is larger, the PQ still looks amazing.

Even though the resolution is less and the screen is larger, the PQ still looks amazing.

I've put the Touch Pro 480x640 screen next to the iPhone and the higher resolution screen is easily the winner.

I still don't understand why they don't let you change the battery and add a micro SD card.

My iPhone will be a year old this August. I'm getting concerned about the battery as t seems like it doesn't want to hold a charge as long as it used to. :(

I've put the Touch Pro 480x640 screen next to the iPhone and the higher resolution screen is easily the winner.

I still don't understand why they don't let you change the battery and add a micro SD card.
Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of things I cannot stand about the iPhone, the fact that they are trendy is the top of my reasons to hate the iPhone list. The lack of a keyboard and the battery are also high on that list as well. At the same time, there are things that annoy me about the fuze as well.

I wish I can design my own phone with the hardware and software that I will use, like I do with all of my desktops

I do agree the battery life just sucks.
I will hold off until the next release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)